Do you like the trade?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski likes the trade for the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's another Archie Goodwin. He can dunk... he also can't pass, shoot or defend.

I am far more worried about Paul's durability and the pick we sent off.

I agree that the pick has more value to us than the two throw-in guards but for me it's all about Paul, good or bad. If we get 2 years of the Chris Paul of last season, this is a good deal regardless of what happens in the future with the pick or the outgoing players. Neither of the two young guards or the pick are going to blossom soon enough to keep Booker in Phoenix (assuming that's even possible) and this was mostly about Devin.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
"The fact that the Suns are reportedly going to work over the cap indicates that, while the Paul trade shakes things up for sure, they still want to bottle last year’s successful bubble run and keep a relatively good amount of roster continuity." - AZSports

That's what I thought. It actually helps fill out an entire roster going this direction and leaves open the possibility of resigning Baynes, if he wants to be here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The fact that the Suns are reportedly going to work over the cap indicates that, while the Paul trade shakes things up for sure, they still want to bottle last year’s successful bubble run and keep a relatively good amount of roster continuity." - AZSports

That's what I thought. It actually helps fill out an entire roster going this direction and leaves open the possibility of resigning Baynes, if he wants to be here.

I think we'll look a lot like last season minus the trade names except we'll probably swap out Baynes for Tucker.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think we'll look a lot like last season minus the trade names except we'll probably swap out Baynes for Tucker.
I keep seeing where Baynes says he likes PHX but others, basketball pundits, say he is moving on. He would be a good back up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know if I want to pay Tucker $7,969,537. For a comparable price I think I would rather keep Baynes if he is willing to stay.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's unbelievable to me that we have been PREACHING for years now that we have to get to the playoffs. Not only to placate our superstar but to get experience to our young guys. We are MUCH closer to reaching that goal now than we've ever been in 10 years. And now you crap on it? Come on.

Who has been preaching that? I know more people preaching that getting your team to an 8th seed to bow out early is fools gold. Yes, I agree getting back to the playoffs is a START. However, that was also assuming we were taking a methodical build of this franchise through the draft and young players. Yes, getting to the playoffs would help a young developing team over time. We agree.

However, you don't make a move with CP3 for a two year run unless your intention is to win a title. This trade changes everything unless you think this was simply to put a few more W's in the win column. IMO, that's not the goal (even though that might be the outcome). I believe this trade was made to give the Suns a shot in this two year window.

Saying we need more than CP3, recognizing his age and the needs the team still has is not crapping on it. If you think being realistic about the trade is crapping on it maybe you should put down the Koolaide. Nobody is dismissing the potential of what CP3 brings to the table. If you think I did that can you point out where?

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I want to pay Tucker $7,969,537. For a comparable price I think I would rather keep Baynes if he is willing to stay.

I think Tucker is the guy that flex and others have been alluding to when saying Paul will bring in someone else. As for Baynes, although they are just rumors, I believe in the oft-repeated idea that he and Boston have strong mutual interest. I have no idea what PJ will require, I'm just reading between the lines because of his relationship with Paul, the fact Houston failed to offer him a contract extension and the rumors that Chris has lined up an additional player to come to Phoenix.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Who has been preaching that? I know more people preaching that getting your team to an 8th seed to bow out early is fools gold. Yes, I agree getting back to the playoffs is a START. However, that was also assuming we were taking a methodical build of this franchise through the draft and young players. Yes, getting to the playoffs would help a young developing team over time. We agree.

However, you don't make a move with CP3 for a two year run unless your intention is to win a title. This trade changes everything. The intention is to win a title in a 2 year window. We need more than CP3 IMO.

Saying we need more than CP3, recognizing his age and the needs the team still has is not crapping on it. If you think being realistic about the trade is crapping on it maybe you should put down the Koolaide. Nobody is dismissing the potential of what CP3 brings to the table. If you think I did that can you point out where?
You are kidding right? You think we haven't been talking about just getting to the playoffs for 10 years? What?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing where Baynes says he likes PHX but others, basketball pundits, say he is moving on. He would be a good back up.

I believe he enjoyed his time in Phoenix but he prefers being with/in Boston. But who knows, maybe the Paul acquisition coupled with the Bubble finish has changed his mind? I certainly wouldn't be against bringing him back although for similar money I think I'd lean towards PJ Tucker (but just barely).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are kidding right? You think we haven't been talking about just getting to the playoffs for 10 years? What?

Where the hell have you been? Go back and read these forums. There are pages and pages of posts about the team being one of the most winning franchises in ANY SPORT and yet no titles. Are you for real? Yes, every fan wants their team to win. Every fans wants there team in the playoffs. Dude....EVERY FAN.

However, that is not this team's goal. We could make the playoffs for the next 5 years. What do you think the discussion is going to be if we come up empty? Look at all the winning years this team has had and the discussion ends the same. We talk about titles.

Yes, you have to make the playoffs first to have a shot. WE ALL WANT THAT. The question is this. Is signing CP3 a legit shot at winning a title in a two year window? My opinion is YES it could be but we need at least one more move.

All I am saying is if we rented CP3 to just put more W's in the column but not make a legit run at it? It's less attractive in terms of a trade. NOT SAYING IT'S BAD TRADE (i.e. crapping on it).

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Tucker is the guy that flex and others have been alluding to when saying Paul will bring in someone else. As for Baynes, although they are just rumors, I believe in the oft-repeated idea that he and Boston have strong mutual interest. I have no idea what PJ will require, I'm just reading between the lines because of his relationship with Paul, the fact Houston failed to offer him a contract extension and the rumors that Chris has lined up an additional player to come to Phoenix.

I'm going to have to get a link to Flex as everybody talks about him.

I think Tucker is owed close to $8 million next season. That's a lot of money to spend on him unless it hinges on relationships. Of the two I would prefer Baynes but so many decisions are made behind the scenes without knowing all the factors.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to get a link to Flex as everybody talks about him.

I think Tucker is owed close to $8 million next season. That's a lot of money to spend on him unless it hinges on relationships. Of the two I would prefer Baynes but so many decisions are made behind the scenes without knowing all the factors.

Give me the Baynes we saw early last season and I'd agree but I don't know if we'll see that player again. PJ's ability to guard up and down the lineup makes him a more valuable piece in today's NBA IMO. I soured on him during his last 2 seasons here because his effort (or, consistency with his effort) and team focus (missing team bus, missing team flight etc.) went downhill but given how he approached things before Watson and after Watson, I'm willing to accept his decline had a lot to do with the coaching mirage named Earl.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me the Baynes we saw early last season and I'd agree but I don't know if we'll see that player again. PJ's ability to guard up and down the lineup makes him a more valuable piece in today's NBA IMO. I soured on him during his last 2 seasons here because his effort (or, consistency with his effort) and team focus (missing team bus, missing team flight etc.) went downhill but given how he approached things before Watson and after Watson, I'm willing to accept his decline had a lot to do with the coaching mirage we call Earl

Not sure you can count on either to be consistent enough.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Where the hell have you been? Go back and read these forums. There are pages and pages of posts about the team being one of the most winning franchises in ANY SPORT and yet no titles. Are you for real? Yes, every fan wants their team to win. Every fans wants there team in the playoffs. Dude....EVERY FAN.

However, that is not this team's goal. We could make the playoffs for the next 5 years. What do you think the discussion is going to be if we come up empty? Look at all the winning years this team has had and the discussion ends the same. We talk about titles.

Yes, you have to make the playoffs first to have a shot. WE ALL WANT THAT. The question is this. Is signing CP3 a legit shot at winning a title in a two year window? My opinion is YES it could be but we need at least one more move.

All I am saying is if we rented CP3 to just put more W's in the column but not make a legit run at it? It's less attractive in terms of a trade. NOT SAYING IT'S BAD TRADE (i.e. crapping on it).
You are so wrong. I'm not talking about the ultimate goal, of course everyone wants to win a title.

But you are literally ignoring the ongoing theme of this board over the past 10 years, and that is all about getting to the playoffs. It's what anybody has ever talked about!

This team's short term goal right now is ABSOLUTELY to make the playoffs. 100% no question. Why do you think they traded for Chris Paul who only has 2 years left on his deal? It's to get to the playoffs. Period. It's part of the road to get to the championship.

And you may have been willing to wait another 5 years to get to the playoffs, but Devin Booker sure isn't.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure you can count on either to be consistent enough.

You can count on Tucker to be consistent as far as defense and that's his main drawing card. But yeah I wouldn't want to have to depend much on either of them for offense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me the Baynes we saw early last season and I'd agree but I don't know if we'll see that player again. PJ's ability to guard up and down the lineup makes him a more valuable piece in today's NBA IMO. I soured on him during his last 2 seasons here because his effort (or, consistency with his effort) and team focus (missing team bus, missing team flight etc.) went downhill but given how he approached things before Watson and after Watson, I'm willing to accept his decline had a lot to do with the coaching mirage named Earl.

I liked Tucker while he was Phoenix so I have no qualms about him coming back but his price tag gives me pause.

Tucker might even pass the ball this time around and we might go out for a burrito. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Tucker while he was Phoenix so I have no qualms about him coming back but his price tag gives me pause.

Tucker might even pass the ball this time around and we might go out for a burrito. :)

I'm not usually eating that late at night (or was it early morning).

I know I complained a lot about him not passing the ball but he wasn't selfish in general, it was situational. He passed it as part of the offense but whenever he was in a fast break situation or when he'd get an offensive rebound while buried in the paint he'd always get tunnel vision and force up the shot. I doubt that will ever change and in some ways it's probably a good thing that he doesn't realize he's not the biggest guy out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are so wrong. I'm not talking about the ultimate goal, of course everyone wants to win a title.

But you are literally ignoring the ongoing theme of this board over the past 10 years, and that is all about getting to the playoffs. It's what anybody has ever talked about!

This team's short term goal right now is ABSOLUTELY to make the playoffs. 100% no question. Why do you think they traded for Chris Paul who only has 2 years left on his deal? It's to get to the playoffs. Period. It's part of the road to get to the championship.

And you may have been willing to wait another 5 years to get to the playoffs, but Devin Booker sure isn't.

while most of the board has been PLAYOFFS AT ALL COSTS, there have been plenty of people in the rebuild, steady and patience crew for years. Ouchie and I were part of that group for a long time, so has Covert. I think we’re losing Book in three years anyway so I’m willing to throw caution to the wind for a little playoff cheddar. But Covert isn’t saying anything different than he has for a while.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
while most of the board has been PLAYOFFS AT ALL COSTS, there have been plenty of people in the rebuild, steady and patience crew for years. Ouchie and I were part of that group for a long time, so has Covert. I think we’re losing Book in three years anyway so I’m willing to throw caution to the wind for a little playoff cheddar. But Covert isn’t saying anything different than he has for a while.
Doesn't matter. He basically said nobody here has talked about just getting to the playoffs as the goal. And that is simply not true.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not usually eating that late at night (or was it early morning).

I know I complained a lot about him not passing the ball but he wasn't selfish in general, it was situational. He passed it as part of the offense but whenever he was in a fast break situation or when he'd get an offensive rebound while buried in the paint he'd always get tunnel vision and force up the shot. I doubt that will ever change and in some ways it's probably a good thing that he doesn't realize he's not the biggest guy out there.

There are perks that go with those burritos.

Seriously, I didn't think Tucker was much of a passer back and I think he may have forced some shots because he was concerned he would turn the ball over if he passed out. I never considered him as being selfish. Although I didn't play much basketball, I had some of the same concerns.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. He basically said nobody here has talked about just getting to the playoffs as the goal. And that is simply not true.

Jeebus Chap. Now you want to split hairs. "Well the goal is to get the the playoffs but the ULTIMATE goals is to win a title." (paraphrasing). :rolleyes: You are trying to split hairs but not one person on this board will be satisfied if the Suns return to their winning ways but continue to fall short each year.

Getting talent, winning games, getting into the playoffs are steps to getting to a title. Nobody is saying anything different.

Exactly. As I stated EVERY FAN wants to put up W's and get into the playoffs. All of us. That's a STEP to the end game for sure. Man....it's like Chap forget all of the bitching and complaining for years on this board every time the team fell short. Nobody was talking about wins and getting to the playoffs at the ends of those runs. Everyone was bitching about not getting over the hump.

LET ME BE CLEAR. This is a good move if the goal is to take a legit run at it. I think CP3 gives us a legit chance in the playoffs if we give him a tad more help. THAT IS NOT CRAPPING ON THIS TRADE. If we did this just to appease a guy that is probably leaving anyway just to put a couple more W's on the board....it's less attractive.

How can I be more clear than that last statement?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Man....it's like Chap forget all of the bitching and complaining for years on this board every time the team fell short. Nobody was talking about wins and getting to the playoffs at the ends of those runs. Everyone was bitching about not getting over the hump.
What do you think getting over the hump actually is?

OF COURSE we all want a championship, but the one thing we've heard on this board and from the team itself is all about getting back to the playoffs. Winning a championship is the long-term goal, no question. But having Chris Paul (or Kelly Oubre & Ricky Rubio) aren't going to get you to that long-term goal becuase they simply weren't going to be with the team long enough. But getting to the playoffs? Absolutely that is the short term goal that is actually easier to accomplish with Chris Paul here.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What do you think getting over the hump actually is?

OF COURSE we all want a championship, but the one thing we've heard on this board and from the team itself is all about getting back to the playoffs. Winning a championship is the long-term goal, no question. But having Chris Paul (or Kelly Oubre & Ricky Rubio) aren't going to get you to that long-term goal becuase they simply weren't going to be with the team long enough. But getting to the playoffs? Absolutely that is the short term goal that is actually easier to accomplish with Chris Paul here.
There are a lot of famous coaches that preach, just get into the playoffs, then see what happens. You can't win if you don't get in!

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
emphatic thumbs down

theoretically, the plus side is making a run by switching Paul for Rubio on the bubble team that went 8 and 0

the downside is Paul's age, health risks, and contract. I'd take on his contract for Rubio straight up. AND to lose Oubre's heart and energy on offense and defense next season, AND a draft pick?

maybe one good year then it turns into a Shaq, Penny Hardaway, Tom Gugliotta move

i'll add another positive:
Booker is a team leading scorer and go-to guy. but he's not a viable team leader yet. Paul is. Paul was right to challenge the Harden isolation ball in Houston. If Booker defers a little to Paul's floor leadership he'll learn some valuable lessons that will pay off in the future.

but i'm still pissed that Oubre won't be part of our future. Like i was pissed when we lost Amare and Joe Johnson because we wouldn't pay them what somebody else would.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson