Divisional Playoff Weekend Games - 2024

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I wish they would trade him and diggs to Dallas for Super Bowl champion owner and GM jerry jones. And prescott. I’d even throw in plenty of first round picks.

All joking aside, I really like Josh Allen. Too many turnovers this year and needed to be better yesterday. The NFL is rough. Only 1 team lifts that trophy and everyone else thinks the sky is falling when they lose. The absolute worst thing the bills can do is give up on Allen because they get tired of losing in the playoffs.
Overreaction monday.:)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I like Lamar, just can't stand UofL fans in this city lol.
I can only imagine that rivalry. I guess the closest pro teams are the colts and bengals both about 2 hours away. I don’t know how one picks their pro teams there. Probably a lot of Yankees, cubs, reds, and cardinals fans for baseball. I have a family member that is from West Virginia and he literally told me that growing up for NFL he cheered for Washington, Dallas, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis. He just changed affiliation when each team went on a winning spree. He was a randy moss fan so he also cheered for Minnesota and New England.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can only imagine that rivalry. I guess the closest pro teams are the colts and bengals both about 2 hours away. I don’t know how one picks their pro teams there. Probably a lot of Yankees, cubs, reds, and cardinals fans for baseball. I have a family member that is from West Virginia and he literally told me that growing up for NFL he cheered for Washington, Dallas, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis. He just changed affiliation when each team went on a winning spree. He was a randy moss fan so he also cheered for Minnesota and New England.
You forgot one about 2 hours away. That is the Titans in Nashville. A whole lot of Bears fans here also. I became a Cardinals fan in 1976 when they were still in St.Louis. They moved to Arizona (1988) the year after I graduated h.s, that broke my heart because St.Louis is only 4 hours from Louisville. It took me a few weeks to get use to calling them Phoenix Cardinals but I did. To be quite honest I'm glad they changed the name to Arizona because that just sounds better imo. Back in 1976 when you walk into a Sears where the men's clothing is there were 3 teams apparel, Bears, Bengals (their original Bengals logo) & the Cardinals. At that time the Colts were still in Baltimore & the Titans were still the Oilers in Houston. The local teams were the 3 above.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I understand the reasoning. But I honestly can't think of a game where it actually worked. I don't count the Cards v Seahawks because Carroll doesn't do that if they had not been eliminated.
The titans did it and won the game I believe the week before the Cardinals tried it. So week 14 against the dolphins I do believe.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And the Texans too, but now claims he had them making the playoffs and winning a playoff game.
The Texans rebuilding path involved 3 straight years of 4 (or fewer) win seasons with two place holder coaches.

This board would not survive that type of rebuild. People nearly lost their minds tanking this year, imagine the reaction if Monty went into 2024 with a blatant tank job roster again? He could easily do it by trading away Kyler and just rolling with Tune. The meltdown would be nuclear.

It may have worked for the Texans, but that is a painful way to rebuild and risky too. Imagine if Tepper hadn't meddled with the Panthers pick (Panthers GM wanted Stroud) and the Texans were stuck with Bryce right now? That's how you become Cleaveland.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The Texans rebuilding path involved 3 straight years of 4 (or fewer) win seasons with two place holder coaches.

This board would not survive that type of rebuild. People nearly lost their minds tanking this year, imagine the reaction if Monty went into 2024 with a blatant tank job roster again? He could easily do it by trading away Kyler and just rolling with Tune. The meltdown would be nuclear.

It may have worked for the Texans, but that is a painful way to rebuild and risky too. Imagine if Tepper hadn't meddled with the Panthers pick (Panthers GM wanted Stroud) and the Texans were stuck with Bryce right now? That's how you become Cleaveland.
Painful I agree but if they can sustain it for several years it will be worth it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rebuild. Like it or not you stay the course. That’s why I kind of laugh when I see suggestions of signing guys like Higgins or Jones. It ain’t gonna happen.
Yes we will sign some free agents. We still need some solid if not spectacular pieces to this team. We need to let rookies and 2nd year players blossom and mature. Whether it was injuries or by designed we played more rookies for more minutes than any other team in the league. That’s good.

I want to see 3 or 4 guys signed this year like White and Froholdt. I want to see another good draft. We are not in any position to start putting frosting on the cake just yet.
I want to see the glaring holes filled.

We need dt’s. Whether it’s a solid free agent and a guy like Newton, Sweat or Murphy I’ll be okay with it.
We need wr’s. I’ll assume it will be one of the big 3 in the draft. That’s not enough. There are plenty of solid free agents we could add. If it isn’t Brown ( but I think it will be) I’d like to see a bigger wr that is willing to block.
We need an OT and a guard. Another area to fill one of those with free agency and draft the other.
CB? We might see a free agent signing here.

I think the other building blocks will be through the draft. Like it or not, and there are some here that will hate it, we will add the pieces but probably not with big name, big splash free agents.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Rebuild. Like it or not you stay the course. That’s why I kind of laugh when I see suggestions of signing guys like Higgins or Jones. It ain’t gonna happen.
Yes we will sign some free agents. We still need some solid if not spectacular pieces to this team. We need to let rookies and 2nd year players blossom and mature. Whether it was injuries or by designed we played more rookies for more minutes than any other team in the league. That’s good.

I want to see 3 or 4 guys signed this year like White and Froholdt. I want to see another good draft. We are not in any position to start putting frosting on the cake just yet.
I want to see the glaring holes filled.

We need dt’s. Whether it’s a solid free agent and a guy like Newton, Sweat or Murphy I’ll be okay with it.
We need wr’s. I’ll assume it will be one of the big 3 in the draft. That’s not enough. There are plenty of solid free agents we could add. If it isn’t Brown ( but I think it will be) I’d like to see a bigger wr that is willing to block.
We need an OT and a guard. Another area to fill one of those with free agency and draft the other.
CB? We might see a free agent signing here.

I think the other building blocks will be through the draft. Like it or not, and there are some here that will hate it, we will add the pieces but probably not with big name, big splash free agents.
So you're good without competing this year. I agree it is probably Monti's plan, but in the modern NFL, the slow as molasses rebuild is obsolete.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're good without competing this year. I agree it is probably Monti's plan, but in the modern NFL, the slow as molasses rebuild is obsolete.
Especially when you cannot get a much more favorable home schedule than the Cardinals are getting next season.

Bears, chargers, commanders, jets, patriots, lions and the 3 division opponents.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Man, I dunno. The Lions were pretty bad for a year and a half. The Texans were bad for three years. San Francisco was 10-22 in the first two seasons under Kyle Shanahan.

You could make a good argument that Houston and Detroit are ahead of schedule on their rebuilds.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I dunno. The Lions were pretty bad for a year and a half. The Texans were bad for three years. San Francisco was 10-22 in the first two seasons under Kyle Shanahan.

You could make a good argument that Houston and Detroit are ahead of schedule on their rebuilds.
Monti could prove he is a really good GM by having this team be a playoff team in year 2. And, then, sustain it.

Why in the world would he NOT want to do that. Obviously, we are going to get much younger. But, there is certainly nothing bad, ever, about making the playoffs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Monti could prove he is a really good GM by having this team be a playoff team in year 2. And, then, sustain it.

Why in the world would he NOT want to do that. Obviously, we are going to get much younger. But, there is certainly nothing bad, ever, about making the playoffs.
It depends on how you do it. The Jaguars were inactive in 2023 free agency because they stretched themselves to be a playoff team in 2022. Then they slipped back to the pack this year.

The "sustain it" part is hard. You probably need to add above-average starters at interior defensive line, edge rusher, and wide receiver to make the playoffs next year. Hopefully you get one of those immediately through the draft. Then you have to get two more in free agency while also sustainably filling out your roster.

I'd love to see Monti hedge his bets by signing Jadeveon Clowney this offseason. Crazy how my guy was sitting out there into mid-August and got $2.5 million.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on how you do it. The Jaguars were inactive in 2023 free agency because they stretched themselves to be a playoff team in 2022. Then they slipped back to the pack this year.

The "sustain it" part is hard. You probably need to add above-average starters at interior defensive line, edge rusher, and wide receiver to make the playoffs next year. Hopefully you get one of those immediately through the draft. Then you have to get two more in free agency while also sustainably filling out your roster.

I'd love to see Monti hedge his bets by signing Jadeveon Clowney this offseason. Crazy how my guy was sitting out there into mid-August and got $2.5 million.
We are not going to be big players in free agency. Monti or no Monti, that isn't the Cardinals.

The Jaguars were 8-3 at one point this season and appeared to be rolling to a division title. The reason they collapsed has nothing to do with the preceding offseason, IMO. Or, the fact they made the playoffs last year and won a game. They were plenty talented enough.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey I’d love to see them sign Jones or Higgins but it appears things aren’t going to go that way. But they better go out and get 3-4 guys that can contribute on day one. That shouldn’t be too hard to do or asking too much.