Disney's The Lion King (live action)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-jon-favreau-the-lion-king/

We can officially confirm that The Walt Disney Studios and director Jon Favreau are putting a new reimagining of The Lion King on the fast track to production. The project follows the technologically groundbreaking smash hit The Jungle Book, directed by Favreau, which debuted in April and has earned $965.8 million worldwide.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife tickets to the Broadway production for her birthday. It's coming to Albq next week. Looking forward to it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Did you see The Jungle Book? It was quite good.

You don't remake perfection. You just effing don't. The Lion King ruled, and there is zero reason for me to be happy about it being remade. My God, I can't believe you're cool with THIS one! Others, sure, but this one? WOW!

The earth will crack open and swallow civilization the day the Casablanca re-make is announced.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You don't remake perfection. You just effing don't. The Lion King ruled, and there is zero reason for me to be happy about it being remade. My God, I can't believe you're cool with THIS one! Others, sure, but this one? WOW!

The earth will crack open and swallow civilization the day the Casablanca re-make is announced.
Take a pill! Sheesh, you are totally overreacting here.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lion king with "live action" animals like jungle book had could be tons of fun to watch.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And they'll be redoing Gone with the Wind next. It is a tragedy that our storytellers seem to have run out of ideas.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

I have to agree with you about the Lion King remake.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Remakes and retreads are one thing. Certain movies, though...certain movies you'd think they'd never touch. I wouldn't have thought they'd make a re-make of Lion King.
Lion king with "live action" animals like jungle book had could be tons of fun to watch.

Exactly. The live action will be killer. I agree would agree with you on not wanting them to do a remake of this Stout, if it was another cartoon. Sounds like its not and will be the live version, which I would love to see.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes Stouts teeth and ambitions are bared, be prepared!!!

I gotta admit I'm pretty indifferent about this one buddy. Great film, but a live action, like Jungle book could be awesome. :) Though, I guess it wouldn't really be live action at all because unlike Jungle book there is no human character, so it's like, modern animation? Faux live action? Hatsune Miku? Shhh, she might be listening.

Now, Lion King II, Simba's pride,,,, oh snap they better not EVER touch that one! I agree some things are just sacred.

Stout

Reaction score
My film buff buddy exploded over this too. We're not always on the same page (he loves all the Fast and the Furious movies, except the last one), but he was flabbergasted on this. Live action or animated, he just repeated "You don't remake perfection." A-freaking-men.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My film buff buddy exploded over this too. We're not always on the same page (he loves all the Fast and the Furious movies, except the last one), but he was flabbergasted on this. Live action or animated, he just repeated "You don't remake perfection." A-freaking-men.

I am closer to this view. It is not like there are any human characters that live action would help.

Just a money grab. Any quibbles I had with the original are so minor that they can only make it worse.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am closer to this view. It is not like there are any human characters that live action would help.

Just a money grab. Any quibbles I had with the original are so minor that they can only make it worse.
Welcome to... well, just about anything. Especially with Hollywood.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they'll be redoing Gone with the Wind next. It is a tragedy that our storytellers seem to have run out of ideas.

Blame studio execs, not the storytellers.

This kind of thing is all you're gonna get for movies for the foreseeable future folks. You want good storytelling, go to cable TV. That's the only place writers get to work on anything that doesn't have a MARVEL before the title or a 2 after it.

Stout

Reaction score

This kind of thing is all you're gonna get for movies for the foreseeable future folks. You want good storytelling, go to cable TV. That's the only place writers get to work on anything that doesn't have a MARVEL before the title or a 2 after it.

That's a great point. With the failure of the tent-poles and the losses the studios are taking, the execs won't green-light anything even remotely out of the sphere of normality. Like you said, cable TV is really kicking right now. Spot on, Cheese.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

I have a small quibble with this.

Are you saying that all the Marvel-labeled products are crap?

From my perspective, besides a few small niggles, most of their live action product, with the major exception of Agents of Shield (and to be fair to them, this season is looking to be a step up for them, so far), have been good to great. And I'm referring to the ones put out by Marvel Studios, not the mostly dreck that the studios that they licensed Marvel properties to (Sony, Fox). Especially the ones they (Marvel Studios) have put out on Netflix.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
To go back on topic, I fully expected Jungle Book to be crap, and was mildly surprised at its Box Office performance, chalking that up to nostalgia and parents wanting to show their kids a story they grew up with.

Until I finally saw it when it came out on DVD.

It was a good movie in its own right, IMO.

With that being said, I still can't fathom how you can do an all animal cast like Lion King into live action seamlessly. The Uncanny Valley will just be too deep for them to traverse. I mean, LK was the one and only animated film that has ever brought tears to my eyes. Even Bambi couldn't do that for me.

Then again, I won't be surprised if I end up being surprised again. (Hah!)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I'm referring to the ones put out by Marvel Studios, not the mostly dreck that the studios that they licensed Marvel properties to (Sony, Fox). Especially the ones they (Marvel Studios) have put out on Netflix.

I'm confused? Are you saying the Marvel shows on Netflix fall into your "good to great" group or are you putting them in the "dreck" category? It's not really my kind of entertainment but from what I've seen the Marvel/Netflix projects have mostly been excellent.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I'm confused? Are you saying the Marvel shows on Netflix fall into your "good to great" group or are you putting them in the "dreck" category? It's not really my kind of entertainment but from what I've seen the Marvel/Netflix projects have mostly been excellent.

I apologize for the poorly constructed phrasing.

Dreck = Sony, Fox
Good to great = Marvel Studios, which includes the Netflix stuff, which I agree are excellent.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bad idea.
I am a huge Jungle Book fan and the new movie was.... "okay".... I have a new grand daughter coming in a couple months...and when she gets her copy of the Lion King...it will be the original
The bright side is...if I decide to see it... there will not be too long a wait to catch it on starz

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a small quibble with this.

Are you saying that all the Marvel-labeled products are crap?

From my perspective, besides a few small niggles, most of their live action product, with the major exception of Agents of Shield (and to be fair to them, this season is looking to be a step up for them, so far), have been good to great. And I'm referring to the ones put out by Marvel Studios, not the mostly dreck that the studios that they licensed Marvel properties to (Sony, Fox). Especially the ones they (Marvel Studios) have put out on Netflix.

Not saying that at all. Just saying that popular IP is pretty much the only way studios are going to green light most movies now.