Movie A Day: The Lion King

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Starring: Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, James Earl Jones, Nathan Lane, Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin, Moira Kelly, Robert Guillaume, Rowan Atkinson, Jonathan Taylor Thomas

Directors: Rob Minkoff, Roger Allers

Writers: Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Robers

Amazon Review
Amazon.com essential video

Not an ideal choice for younger kids, this hip and violent animated feature from Disney was nevertheless a huge smash in theaters and on video, and it continues to enjoy life in an acclaimed Broadway production. The story finds a lion cub, son of a king, sent into exile after his father is sabotaged by a rivalrous uncle. The little hero finds his way into the "circle of life" with some new friends and eventually comes back to reclaim his proper place. Characters are very strong, vocal performances by the likes of Jeremy Irons, Nathan Lane, and Whoopi Goldberg are terrific, the jokes are aimed as much (if not more) at adults than kids, the animation is sometimes breathtaking, and the music is more palatable than in many Disney features. But be cautious: this is too intense for the Rugrat crowd. --Tom Keogh

Amazon.com

Anybody who struts around with Simba's hard-won authority deserves this royal DVD read-along from Disney. Kids can recoil at Uncle Scar's dastardly deeds en español and discover that "hakuna matata" sounds pretty much the same in Spanish, French, Italian, or German. And should the dynamic storytelling fail to thrill your 4- to 12-year-old fan, a flurry of other interactive options await. Toggle to "Songs" for sing-along renditions of movie hits, including "I Just Can't Wait to Be King," and on to "Music Videos," where Elton John roars soundtrack favorites "Circle of Life" and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and Jimmy Cliff and Lebo M groove to "Hakuna Matata." The "Vocabulary" feature allows for see-and-say mastery of a list of wildlife, while the "Game" section allows players to match paw and hoof prints to the proper beast and reassemble the scattered skeletal remains of an elephant. Original cast voices are featured, and grownups will be pleased by the package's reading component. --Tammy La Gorce

From The New Yorker

Disney's new animated feature is a coming-of-age story about animal royalty. It's "Bambi," but with carnivores. The hero, a young lion named Simba, is born to the purple, but before he can ascend to the throne he has to make cute friends, court a soft-eyed female of the species, and see his father die (in a scene that may actually jerk kids' tears more shamelessly than its counterpart in "Bambi"). Between traumas, the movie serves up soothingly banal musical numbers (composed by Elton John and Tim Rice) and silly, rambunctious comedy. It's such an extreme example of the you'll-laugh-you'll-cry aesthetic that we begin to suspect that the directors, Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff, are just flaunting their power, showing us that they can manipulate our responses at will. The animation, computer-assisted in some of the more elaborate sequences, is sometimes impressive, but rarely impressive enough to overcome a certain impersonality-a stubborn mechanical coldness. Among the celebrity voices on the soundtrack, two performances stand out: Jeremy Irons, as the villainous lion Scar, does an elegant, funny George Sanders impersonation, and Nathan Lane, reading the part of a peppy, skeptical meerkat, gives the picture a welcome shot at Warners-style brashness. -Terrence Rafferty
Copyright © 2006 The New Yorker

How in the world did it take this long to get to this gem?

One of the best recent Disney movies (pre Pixar of course), this movie pretty much had it all - one of the best casts ever for an animated movie, great characters, great story, great comedy, and some damn good music. Hell even sequels were enjoyable.

Something that alot of people probably didn't know is that this one of the big three successes (the other 2 were the The Little Mermaid and Aladdin in case you were wondering) that saved the Disney animation studios. At one point the Disney studios were close to laying off 2/3 of their staff and releasing a movie ever few years or so after a string of failures starting in the mid 80s. If not for these 3 movies, who knows what happens with Disney and if Pixar even comes into existence.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in the world did it take this long to get to this gem?

One of the best recent Disney movies (pre Pixar of course), this movie pretty much had it all - one of the best casts ever for an animated movie, great characters, great story, great comedy, and some damn good music. Hell even sequels were enjoyable.

Something that alot of people probably didn't know is that this one of the big three successes (the other 2 were the The Little Mermaid and Aladdin in case you were wondering) that saved the Disney animation studios. At one point the Disney studios were close to laying off 2/3 of their staff and releasing a movie ever few years or so after a string of failures starting in the mid 80s. If not for these 3 movies, who knows what happens with Disney and if Pixar even comes into existence.
Ummm...did you forget Beauty & the Beast?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Beauty and the Beast made $144.8 million at the box office when it was released in 1991. It remained in theaters for an amazing 42 weeks and was nominated for a "Best Picture" Academy Award - the only animated film to ever receive such an honor.
That aside...The Lion King is a GREAT movie. Stands the test of time.
[/FONT]

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
My favorite non-CGI Disney movie of all time. That's saying a lot, because I really do not like Disney films in general.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
My favorite non-CGI Disney movie of all time. That's saying a lot, because I really do not like Disney films in general.

If Lion King is your favorite out of a bunch of movies you don't really care for then that's not really saying much is it?

On the other hand, if Lion King was your favorite out of a whole list of movies that you really liked, well then that would REALLY be saying something.

So the only real mystery is why you even bothered replying to this thread in the first place.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
If Lion King is your favorite out of a bunch of movies you don't really care for then that's not really saying much is it?

On the other hand, if Lion King was your favorite out of a whole list of movies that you really liked, well then that would REALLY be saying something.

So the only real mystery is why you even bothered replying to this thread in the first place.

Ah ha!

Classic deflection!

Just what are you hiding Mr. Renz?
If that is indeed your real name...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When I was in Bosnia the first time, we watched 1/2 an hour of this every day for about a month. The tent with the elliptical machines had a DVD player, but this was the only DVD we had :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cosign. :)

The Lion King > Beauty and the Beast ... IMHO, of course. Love The Lion King.
Yep.

I saw L K in the theatre. It was full ok kids. At one point at the end, a little kid yelled out " I LOVE YOU, LION KING!"

It was awesome.

I would also say the Little Mermaid was better than B and the B as well.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I saw this in the theatre also. The opening sequence is awesome. Love this movie.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep.

I saw L K in the theatre. It was full ok kids. At one point at the end, a little kid yelled out " I LOVE YOU, LION KING!"

It was awesome.

That IS awesome!!!

I would also say the Little Mermaid was better than B and the B as well.

Agree with you there, too. Love the soundtrack from The Little Mermaid as well. I remember seeing that movie in high school. I actually cried at the end when Ariel and her dad hug and make up. (My dad and I weren't getting along so hot at that time. I was a know-it-all teenager, so go figure!)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great movie. B&B isn't even in the same hemisphere as Lion King.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard