Discussion Before Hire: Jonathan Gannon Thread

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I'm good with him. His defense is a big part of why the eagles went from 4-11 in 2020 to 14-3 and a trip to the super bowl in two years. Defense was nails for the first two games of the playoffs and wasn't nearly as bad in the super bowl as people are acting. When the offense and special teams gifts the opponent 7 points each it's hard to look good against a hall of fame QB and coach. Would be fine with Kafka or Anuromo too but all three are unproven and shouldn't be picked or not picked based on one game anyway.
Eagles had no injuries and played a relatively easy schedule with little adversity. Still like Anarumo but would be okay with any of the three finalists. I'm not sitting in on the interviews so my opinion is not totally informed. :newcards:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Eagles fans just read yesterday he's leaving. Who would you blame? The guy leaving or the guys staying?
Let's just compare it to how Giants fans and Bengals fans feel about Kafka and Lou. Those two fan bases do not want the Cardinals to hire those two guys. It's just a very interesting contrast.. so I'm sure bird-brain Mike is going to hire the coach whose fan base wants to run out of town.

Of course all of this is happening in the vacuum of the Super Bowl.. and the loss is still very raw.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's just compare it to how Giants fans and Bengals fans feel about Kafka and Lou. Those two fan bases do not want the Cardinals to hire those two guys. It's just a very interesting contrast.. so I'm sure bird-brain Mike is going to hire the coach whose fan base wants to run out of town.

Of course all of this is happening in the vacuum of the Super Bowl.. and the loss is still very raw.

Sure. But Eagles fans are also massive douchebags.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Getting schooled by Reid isn’t the best look timing-wise for Gannon. It’s not a job killer, but he’s going to have to answer related questions. Certainly you take a wider view of his body of work, but that game was a speed bump.
Absolutely. The candidates body of work in total should be looked at, not one game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The same fans who ran Reid out of town. Yeah I trust their opinion.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The same fans who ran Reid out of town. Yeah I trust their opinion.
Correct Reid was also thought of as a guy who couldn’t perform against the elite teams. Consistently beating the league’s soft middle and dreck gets ya into the playoffs literally every year. That’s done with personnel and culture.

Last edited:

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Correct Reid was also thought of as a guy who couldn’t perform against the elite teams. Consistently the league’s soft middle and dreck gets ya into the playoffs literally every year.

And was the same story in KC until Mahomes.

All you need to do is draft Mahomes, Brady, or Manning and you are pretty much a lock. Or Brees, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger and you are good for at least 1.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
One game samples aren’t fair but it’s worth looking at what that Eagles did against good QB’s all year. It’s also worth noting that beating bad/mediocre teams consistently wins you lots of NFL football games.
the very first thing any team should do is beat the teams they are supposed to beat.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Eagles defense isn't really that good, and it's Gannon's fault they lost for allowing a whole 3 normal situation TD's then can someone explain to me why Kafka should skate on only putting up 7 against them in the playoffs?

If we're going to get angsty about Gannon let's get angsty about Kafka too right?

The Giants only scored more than 24 twice all year. Their 9 wins were against the Titans, early sucky Panthers, Bears, early sucked balls Packers, Ravens, early 2-4 Jags, Texans, Heinicke led Commanders and the Colts. The only team there with a winning record is the Ravens.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sure glad we didn't get Payton - we're spoiled for choice at this point!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If your hire isn't done to get the most out of Kyler, it is almost destined to fail. The benefit of hiring a HC with a background in offense is the stability in offensive scheme and focus. If you don't have that, that stability is much more difficult to achieve. How many QBs benefit from a lack of stability?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Philly's defense was top 10 in DVOA this season. They also played the 31st-ranked schedule of offenses by DVOA.

Philly's defense was 25th in DVOA in 2021. They played the 27th-raned schedule of offenses by DVOA.
how does uncle Lou match up in the same catagory?

I mean, there are platitudes... constant improvement...you can only play the teams they put in front of you,..etc...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Philly's defense was top 10 in DVOA this season. They also played the 31st-ranked schedule of offenses by DVOA.

Philly's defense was 25th in DVOA in 2021. They played the 27th-raned schedule of offenses by DVOA.
Agreed that in terms of "scheme" there isn't anything special here. Eagles are loaded with talent and experience on defense so they should be successful. If you hire Gannon it should not be because of his scheme.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If your hire isn't done to get the most out of Kyler, it is almost destined to fail. The benefit of hiring a HC with a background in offense is the stability in offensive scheme and focus. If you don't have that, that stability is much more difficult to achieve. How many QBs benefit from a lack of stability?
lack of stability is making Derek Carr a free agent this week.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lack of stability is making Derek Carr a free agent this week.
It certainly doesn't help and I have no idea where the Raiders are going to find a QB. McDaniels moved on from Cutler and landed on Tebow. Now he is getting rid of Carr for another mystery box but this time his arrogance cost them the ability to get any compensation for his QB. Some dudes don't learn.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson