Die Hard Is Returning to Theaters Just in Time for Christmas

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time a bell rings, an angel turns down his hearing aid.....

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The extended editions have already been scheduled -- Fellowship was right before Thanksgiving, Two Towers was last week and Return of the King is on Saturday. I'm unfortunately not going to be able to go to that one, since I have my son. Stinks because all 3 are the extended versions and only 1 day showing each.
Sorry, I meant for a shot run, not the one day events that they've done. It felt like good timing to do that since there's not much coming out with the strikes and it being the 20th anniversary of it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me either

I never watched it til I met Wendy. She insisted I watch it.

It's the most copied movie ever and yet it genuinely surprised me. Every copy just misses the heart of the movie

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Marty lives his past and future seeing the consequences of changes in his life. While the first movie leans on its a wonderful life, Back to the Future 2 nearly copies it
While there might be slight similarities, time travel isn't in It's A Wonderful Life. It's A Wonderful Life shows a PRESENT where George was never born. In Back to the Future 2, Marty is born but certain decisions have changed the future. Plus, Marty didn't see that future because anyone wanted to teach him a lesson. He certainly didn't want to kill himself at any point in the 3 movies either.

Most movies can be linked in some way, but there are dozens of movies that connect more cleanly to It's A Wonderful Life than Back to the Future II.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap this is super accepted that BttF is a reimagined Wonderful Life

LOL

Yeah someone called "clandestine critic" in the UK is "super accepted." Gotcha.

What of what I posted was not true?

Doesn't matter, this is a stupid argument although I find it funny that BTTF is the example you bring up and none of the multitude of other movies that are much closer to IAWL.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chris did you actually read that article? The author specifically compares Life to Back To The Future PART 2.

Also, isn’t the point of Life to accept and appreciate the things already in your life? That’s nothing like Back To The Future. Marty has zero arc to make him thankful for what he has, in fact, what he does in the past returns him to a much different and better present than he’s ever known.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris did you actually read that article? The author specifically compares Life to Back To The Future PART 2.

Also, isn’t the point of Life to accept and appreciate the things already in your life? That’s nothing like Back To The Future. Marty has zero arc to make him thankful for what he has, in fact, what he does in the past returns him to a much different and better present than he’s ever known.

#1 influenced #2 copy is what I have said repeatedly

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh?

2 doesn’t really copy it either. Tell me what lesson Marty learns in 2 that is in anyway shape or form like Life?

Small town changed by the past being altered to where the bad guy controls everything. The entire arc is the same.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to start a different thread on this because I am hijacking this and Die Hard doesn't deserve this.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

By people who know not of what they speak, sure. This is about the worst comparison I've seen, man.

It's a Wonderful Life sucks. If it wasn't made free to networks, this box office flop would never be known. It would be rotting, unremembered, in the garbage bin of history. BttF is 10x the movie it is.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By people who know not of what they speak, sure. This is about the worst comparison I've seen, man.

It's a Wonderful Life sucks. If it wasn't made free to networks, this box office flop would never be known. It would be rotting, unremembered, in the garbage bin of history. BttF is 10x the movie it is.

It's the Directors #2 movie of all time and he said it influences his films.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's the Directors #2 movie of all time and he said it influences his films.
And I think it's a dumb comparison. It doesn't even exist in BttF's shade, the gap in quality is that large. Even if there were slight comparisons--as Chap mentioned, it's common with many movies--Jimmie Stewart clearly time-traveled to copy the better movie.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
If we paint withe a broad enough stoke that BttF is It's a Wonder Life wouldn't that standard just make Life a discount version of A Christmas Carrol?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I think it's a dumb comparison. It doesn't even exist in BttF's shade, the gap in quality is that large. Even if there were slight comparisons--as Chap mentioned, it's common with many movies--Jimmie Stewart clearly time-traveled to copy the better movie.

Checks IMDB 250...

You are correct the gap in quality in the film is significant

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we paint withe a broad enough stoke that BttF is It's a Wonder Life wouldn't that standard just make Life a discount version of A Christmas Carrol?

So outside of the "discount" comment, It's a Wonderful Life is absolutely influenced by A Christmas Carol.

That doesn't dismiss it's influence on every film after.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson