Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Die Hard Is Returning to Theaters Just in Time for Christmas

Just don't go to the theater barefoot. lol

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Got my tickets for December 11th. Dolby theater here in Austin. No tickets sold for my showing, so I got to pick from all the seats.

And I'm seeing The Abyss Special Edition at the same theater tomorrow night too, so seeing a lot of great older movies on the big screen recently (also saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone last Sunday and will probably see Elf or Christmas Vacation in the theater over the next few weeks. Possibly even It's a Wonderful Life, which I'd think might be pretty cool on the big screen).

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Got my tickets for December 11th. Dolby theater here in Austin. No tickets sold for my showing, so I got to pick from all the seats.

And I'm seeing The Abyss Special Edition at the same theater tomorrow night too, so seeing a lot of great older movies on the big screen recently (also saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone last Sunday and will probably see Elf or Christmas Vacation in the theater over the next few weeks. Possibly even It's a Wonderful Life, which I'd think might be pretty cool on the big screen).
I'm so annoyed over the Abyss. I don't get how they're only showing it at one show time on one day. I'm not going to be able to see it now due to traveling for work. If they had an 8 or 9 pm showing I could have made it. :(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm so annoyed over the Abyss. I don't get how they're only showing it at one show time on one day. I'm not going to be able to see it now due to traveling for work. If they had an 8 or 9 pm showing I could have made it. :(
It feels to me like these older releases being on the big screen again is a huge test to see if scheduling these movies is viable for the industry. I don't remember ever seeing this many classic movies in theaters all at once. And I'm in Texas!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It feels to me like these older releases being on the big screen again is a huge test to see if scheduling these movies is viable for the industry. I don't remember ever seeing this many classic movies in theaters all at once. And I'm in Texas!
WB screwed up (imagine that!) this winter with old movie releases too. They should have put LotR back in theaters for a run for the 20th anniversary of RotK. I don't know how they didn't come up with that idea when it was clear that the strikes were going to be prolonged and the new movie schedules were being pushed back.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
WB screwed up (imagine that!) this winter with old movie releases too. They should have put LotR back in theaters for a run for the 20th anniversary of RotK. I don't know how they didn't come up with that idea when it was clear that the strikes were going to be prolonged and the new movie schedules were being pushed back.
The extended editions have already been scheduled -- Fellowship was right before Thanksgiving, Two Towers was last week and Return of the King is on Saturday. I'm unfortunately not going to be able to go to that one, since I have my son. Stinks because all 3 are the extended versions and only 1 day showing each.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love seeing older films in the theater. I grew up seeing literally everything as a kid/young adult (often sneak previews of the biggest films a couple of weeks before public release) and my wife saw almost no movies in the theater because of her family growing up. So, it is a blast watching her react to seeing some fun older films for the first time.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I went to the 75th anniversary of it's a wonderful life last year in the theater and had a great time.

Went with the family and it wasn't a movie that was in mind for any of us - so not a nostalgia watch or an annual thing

My wife really didn't care for the movie, but enjoyed the experience.

My kids take enjoyed the whole thing - black and white and all

I like checking out such things and it does seem to be growing

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the 75th anniversary of it's a wonderful life last year in the theater and had a great time.

Went with the family and it wasn't a movie that was in mind for any of us - so not a nostalgia watch or an annual thing

My wife really didn't care for the movie, but enjoyed the experience.

My kids take enjoyed the whole thing - black and white and all

I like checking out such things and it does seem to be growing
It is now 2023 and I have still not seen It's A Wonderful Life. I know what it's about, have seen a clip here and there from the news, etc., and know a lot of the history behind it, but have just never taken the time to watch it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It is now 2023 and I have still not seen It's A Wonderful Life. I know what it's about, have seen a clip here and there from the news, etc., and know a lot of the history behind it, but have just never taken the time to watch it.
It's rather polarizing. You either love it or don't. I've never dug it, although Jimmy Stewart is always good.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:banned:

This is becoming a pattern with you, BIM

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's rather polarizing. You either love it or don't. I've never dug it, although Jimmy Stewart is always good.
If by polarizing you mean it's an absolute holiday favorite for a fair number of people and the rest of us can't figure out why, I'd agree. Although I don't know many that despise it to the degree that others love it. I think it's watchable but how it became an all time Christmas classic is beyond me. One year in the 70's, it's just another old movie, the next year it starts showing up for every Christmas.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah, I was in a similar boat. I'm from near Seneca Falls and the movie has ties to that general area, so it was a bit of a thing there.

I haven't heard much outright hate, but I think you need some tolerance for cheese, camp and saccharine.

My wife thought it was way over the top and wouldn't care to watch it again.

My kids and I enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't make it an annual.

I'd definitely recommend going - especially since you have fresh eyes.

Makes for a neat movie experience.

The first time my son saw Jaws was on the big screen with a re-release.

Can be fun to soak these in.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If by polarizing you mean it's an absolute holiday favorite for a fair number of people and the rest of us can't figure out why, I'd agree. Although I don't know many that despise it to the degree that others love it. I think it's watchable but how it became an all time Christmas classic is beyond me. One year in the 70's, it's just another old movie, the next year it starts showing up for every Christmas.
When released in theaters it was basically a flop financially.

But in the 70's it was suddenly available for free, so it became widely shown and popular.

Let Paul Harvey explain it:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Side note: Ironically, the film’s director Frank Capra didn’t think of it as a holiday film at all. He just liked the story itself.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's my favorite movie of all time. It's a big watch though but it really touches on the core of things that are important to me personally.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I will watch it guaranteed Christmas Eve and probably this weekend.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to Die Hard. My wife just sent me this.

Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie because it occurs at Christmas, it's a Christmas movie because it is about a social obligation with a family member that you didn't want to participate in but spirals more and more into an unending nightmare.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Back to Die Hard. My wife just sent me this.

Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie because it occurs at Christmas, it's a Christmas movie because it is about a social obligation with a family member that you didn't want to participate in but spirals more and more into an unending nightmare.
For better or worse (probably worse) I've grown more of a ghost at those things - it's an incredibly busy time of year, my busiest at work and spending 3 hours making small tasks with strangers is torture

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard