Dennis Gardeck - 2nd round tender

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chopper0080, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Can someone explain to me why they think 3 million a year is enough for Gardeck, but that we should pay Reddick 15 million a year for 12 sacks - when he played a ton more snaps to get his.

Neither player is the ideal size or strength to play OLB.

I am actually worried cards will lose Gardeck with this low of an offer.

2. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

can you explain to me why you consistently lie about other people’s opinions on what Reddick should have been offered? All the Reddick people eventually wanted him to get the transition tag, which wasn’t 15 million dollars.

also, can you tell me why you create false narratives like the above making it seem as if Reddick and Gardeck’s output was reasonably similar despite the fact that Reddick was 2nd in the entire league in OVERALL TFLs blowing away Gardeck there, not to mention 5 sacks different AND both of Reddick’s knees are in tact?

3. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

I agree. As I said, interesting/odd decision.

4. Chopper0080

I will take a 2nd round pick for an undersized LB coming off an ACL injury every day of the week. The Cardinals did obviously get some intel that teams would be sniffing around him which prompted the higher tender.

5. Reddog

Reddog Registered

Smart move. I doubt anyone grabs him and even if we have to put him PUP it keeps him under wraps tile he heals up.

daves and Stout like this.
  6. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I'm not making up what people want to offer him. There are posts today of people saying we should pay him 15 million in other threads.

We are never going to agree obviously. Reddick is at 235 is a desperation play at olb. I would never pay big money for a guy with no true position like him.

Not saying Gardeck is ideal either - but honestly I rate them as about the same value as a player.

7. cheesebeef

I think you often give the Cardinals too much credit, re: them getting intel.

8. cheesebeef

So, you think a healthy Gardeck has the potential to EVER be 2nd in league in TFL? that’s laughable.

also please go show me people today that are saying Reddick should be getting 15 million per year. Otherwise, stop lying about other’s arguments to make your weak ones look stronger.

9. Proximo

Proximo Registered

10. Chopper0080

Could be. I just know that teams usually offer tenders based upon the rest of the league's view of their players.

daves and juza76 like this.
  11. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

Lol, love the "insane workout recovery video" followed by the guy actually looking a like a shell of himself. Please provide some actual examples of guys going down with ACL's in December and looking as good or better the next year.

Expecting anything out of Gardeck next year is about the same as expecting anything from Alford.

12. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

For the example requested.

2014 Chris Harris Jr tore his ACL in the playoffs and returned next season to make the Pro Bowl and be a 1st team all pro

13. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

I don't know why people can't just google themselves rather than the the old "prove me wrong".

How about you do some research before stating opinions?

The above example took a single search to find.

14. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

i think the original round tender for Gardeck is ~$2mm. for Gardeck, since he was a UDFA, you get a chance to match but no compensation if he leaves

a 2nd round tender is worth $3.2. for the extra $1.2mm, you get a 2nd if you lose him.

on the original tender (i.e. no compensation): a guy with 7 sacks on limited snaps: why wouldn't a team like the Jets or Jax with cap space to spare put a 2 year, $12mm contract on Gardeck? A flyer on a pass rusher knowing the Cards probably cant afford it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    daves likes this.
  15. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

It also took a simple google search to show you've found an exception to the rule...congrats! If you want to base your personnel moves on the exceptions to the rule, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you want to talk about ACL recovery with any seriousness, maybe you should be a little more strategic with your googling.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

Here's the important part:

In the NFL, like other sports, a lasting return to play is also influenced by the player’s pre-injury position – 20% of running backs and wide receivers never return to the NFL and for those that do return, performance drops by a third. However, because their performance is less tied to lower body speed and explosiveness, 12 out of the 13 of NFL quarterbacks studied after ACL surgeries were able to resume playing at pre-injury levels.

On the defensive side of the ball, just published research by the Aune and the American Sports Medicine Institute, the injury research think tank started by Dr James Andrews, indicates that 72% of NFL defensive players return to play at least one game after an ACL injury. But behind that relatively optimistic stat, the news isn’t good for those players on the margins. Average NFL players that tore an ACL saw their performance drop to below average. In time, performance might very well return to normal, but since the NFL is a produce-now league, those players often never return to play or last only for a short period of time before getting cut or released.

Generally, those who successfully returned were above-average NFL players before their injury but relatively average after their return. In other words, after an ACL surgery, a Pro Bowl level defensive player regresses to the performance level of an average player and an average player drops below the NFL standard.

Cool example of one player that overcame the odds though, really helping to move the conversation forward!

daves likes this.