DeFilippo to interview for Cards OC opening

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Defilipo has already proven himself over his head and a bad OC. There is nothing good about this hire other then his overhyped rep from being a QB coach for the wagles during the SB run. People that would like this hire have no real logical reasons for it. Those against do have something to lean on. Being fired as an OC on a team with talent in the middle of a playoff push in less than a year on the job... lol

Brah he hasn't been hired yet, take a couple steps back from the ledge, it's not worth it..:biglaugh:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Eh, who cares. The offense will be on KK good or bad.

Also for the record, Cousins had a one of his best statistical years here in 2018. It's not DiFilipo's fault his QB is a garbage time stat machine who doesn't win.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'd like this a hell of a lot more than Sark. Thank God we dodged that bullet.
Yeah, the guy who got fired for being drunk on the job 3 years ago vs the guy who couldn't elevate a career mediocre QB in Kirk Cousins yet helped develop Wentz just a year before. Let me think.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, who cares. The offense will be on KK good or bad.

Also for the record, Cousins had a one of his best statistical years here in 2018. It's not DiFilipo's fault his QB is a garbage time stat machine who doesn't win.
Actually it his fault he’s the one whose supposed elevate him past that and call plays that puts him in a position to succeed. He failed badly enough to get axed.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe Mike Zimmer HC Vikings is the part of the problem.

November 2016

Longtime NFL coach Norv Turner, the offensive coordinator of the 5-2, first-place Minnesota Vikings, has resigned in the middle of the season.

Norv Turner and head coach Mike Zimmer disagreed on the best way to run the offense, according to Albert Breer of The MMQB. It wasn't a huge rift, but they couldn't come to terms on the margins of it, the details of the offensive system that needed to be changed in order to better protect the quarterback, get the running game going again, and score more than 20 points a game.

December 2018

The Minnesota Vikings have fired first-year offensive coordinator John DeFilippo

DeFilippo was the fourth offensive coordinator to serve under Zimmer since his tenure began in Minnesota in 2014.

It has been apparent at times this season that DeFilippo and coach Mike Zimmer were not on the same page as it related to the Vikings' offensive strategy. Zimmer has voiced public criticism over the team's perceived offensive imbalance, the volume in the Vikings' playbook and a need to run the ball more.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm all for this. If Kliff is calling the plays, then Flip will most likely be a glorified QB coach.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This makes a lot of sense to me. DeFilippo is young as is Kingsbury. Pretty good chance they get along well together. DeFilippo has experience with NFL offenses and defenses. Kingsbury needs someone with that experience. Two young offensive minds coming together with the one having an understanding of the NFL. I don't think it's a bad combination. I don't think pairing Kingsbury with an old warhorse as a OC is a good idea.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe Mike Zimmer HC Vikings is the part of the problem.

November 2016

Longtime NFL coach Norv Turner, the offensive coordinator of the 5-2, first-place Minnesota Vikings, has resigned in the middle of the season.

Norv Turner and head coach Mike Zimmer disagreed on the best way to run the offense, according to Albert Breer of The MMQB. It wasn't a huge rift, but they couldn't come to terms on the margins of it, the details of the offensive system that needed to be changed in order to better protect the quarterback, get the running game going again, and score more than 20 points a game.

December 2018

The Minnesota Vikings have fired first-year offensive coordinator John DeFilippo

DeFilippo was the fourth offensive coordinator to serve under Zimmer since his tenure began in Minnesota in 2014.

It has been apparent at times this season that DeFilippo and coach Mike Zimmer were not on the same page as it related to the Vikings' offensive strategy. Zimmer has voiced public criticism over the team's perceived offensive imbalance, the volume in the Vikings' playbook and a need to run the ball more.

That is what I took from it.

I think the biggest thing that holds the Vikings back is Zimmer. What has Zimmer won? He was the DC for the Bengals, and they didn't win.

He becomes the head coach and they don't win. Zimmer is the new Marty Shottenhiemer. Does really well, until he playoffs.

Last I checked the Vikings defense took the bigger step back.

Say what you will, Norv Turner walked out mid-season, and John DeFilippo got fired, because he was scapegoated, IMO.

Kurt Cousins cannot win a big game ? Say it ain't so. The Vikings had a change at the end of the year to have a chance at the playoffs, and Cousins and Zimmer did what they do....they choked.

....and please spare me the "They made it to the NFC Championship game" talk. It was a fluke.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'll bite.

I hate the Kingsbury signing for head coach. Biggest reason is the young man has no NFL experience, and runs a pass happy, high paced offense.

It is a "college offense", but a few posters and myself have been talking about this push to "college offenses" in the NFL for a few seasons. It has to go this way, no matter what the "old guard" wants or believes. While stubborn classic NFL coaches try to teach these kids out of college the "pro style" other teams are using the players, and the skills they have honed over their entire football career to that point, to beat the pro style teams by way of being able to just play and not think.

So, thinking DeFilipo would be a bad hire sounds a little silly after signing a sub-.500 college coach to run the team. So, the Cardinals think that "air raid" is the where the league is going.

Ok. Well, then why would it sound crazy to get a coach who has experience with is the closest thing to a pass happy offense ?

I think this whole thing will crash and burn, but bring in a coach that at least would seem to be a guy that would be more inclined to buy into this crazy idea is at least trying to keep some sort of train of logic.

For this whole crazy idea to have a chance to work. Kingsbury is going to need someone that can take what he THINKS he can do in the pros, and translate it to the NFL.

We all had fun making fun of the Alabama player who said, they could be the Cardinals. Why? Cause it is the pros, and even if things are going more "college style" the talent is still way beyond a college program.

If I were running the show (we would all be in trouble) I would be looking for someone that could ease this coach and his system into the NFL. DeFilipo was looked at as head coach material last year, so there must be something there. Not to mention he just left a situation where he was working with someone who would not buy into his system and worked against him and not with him.

This is one of those things that I think just might be the perfect fit.

That being said, a perfect fit for something I do not think is going to work out, but this does makes some sense.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll bite.

I hate the Kingsbury signing for head coach. Biggest reason is the young man has no NFL experience, and runs a pass happy, high paced offense.

It is a "college offense", but a few posters and myself have been talking about this push to "college offenses" in the NFL for a few seasons. It has to go this way, no matter what the "old guard" wants or believes. While stubborn classic NFL coaches try to teach these kids out of college the "pro style" other teams are using the players, and the skills they have honed over their entire football career to that point, to beat the pro style teams by way of being able to just play and not think.

So, thinking DeFilipo would be a bad hire sounds a little silly after signing a sub-.500 college coach to run the team. So, the Cardinals think that "air raid" is the where the league is going.

Ok. Well, then why would it sound crazy to get a coach who has experience with is the closest thing to a pass happy offense ?

I think this whole thing will crash and burn, but bring in a coach that at least would seem to be a guy that would be more inclined to buy into this crazy idea is at least trying to keep some sort of train of logic.

For this whole crazy idea to have a chance to work. Kingsbury is going to need someone that can take what he THINKS he can do in the pros, and translate it to the NFL.

We all had fun making fun of the Alabama player who said, they could be the Cardinals. Why? Cause it is the pros, and even if things are going more "college style" the talent is still way beyond a college program.

If I were running the show (we would all be in trouble) I would be looking for someone that could ease this coach and his system into the NFL. DeFilipo was looked at as head coach material last year, so there must be something there. Not to mention he just left a situation where he was working with someone who would not buy into his system and worked against him and not with him.

That being said, a perfect fit for something I do not think is going to work out, but this does makes some sense.
Who did you want as HC?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'll bite.

From everything I am hearing they have no plans of running an actual "Air Raid" offense, but only plan to incorporate some of the concepts of that offense. The reason they went after Kliff is because they believe that he is a very innovative offensive coach that will cater the offense to it's best players and get the most out of it's personnel.

Obviously it remains to be seen as to how it will work out, but I can completely understand why they did it with how pathetic the offense was last year and with the offense concentrated direction that the NFL is headed it makes sense to try and find your own offensive guru.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@RugbyMuffin, bro, deep down you don't really strike me as a hater. I've never met you personally so I don't have 1st hand experience but hating doesn't suit you. I'm not suggesting you should be lollipops and rainbows over the KK hire, I certainly wasn't when Wilks came aboard.. . I went into a deep dark depression the second it was announced.

I'm not suggesting you give up your point of view or your beliefs or what your eyes and ears tell you, but my brother, you don't wear hate well. It's not a word I expected to ever hear you use. I think you are trying to come to terms with what you feel is impending disaster. Don't hate please, it's not good for you. And if you ever get the chance, please talk me down from the ledge.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I like the way the staffs developing - yes on flip for me

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
From everything I am hearing they have no plans of running an actual "Air Raid" offense, but only plan to incorporate some of the concepts of that offense. The reason they went after Kliff is because they believe that he is a very innovative offensive coach that will cater the offense to it's best players and get the most out of it's personnel.

Obviously it remains to be seen as to how it will work out, but I can completely understand why they did it with how pathetic the offense was last year and with the offense concentrated direction that the NFL is headed it makes sense to try and find your own offensive guru.

I'm sure the same concepts that make an Air Raid offense will be used. When I watched the Rams play us this year they had the defense on their toes the whole game. Kliff will use the whole field horizontally and vertically to create space and keep the defense spread out.

I'm highly interested to see how it will look and how he intends to use the talent on offense to infuse his coaching philosophy.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@RugbyMuffin, bro, deep down you don't really strike me as a hater. I've never met you personally so I don't have 1st hand experience but hating doesn't suit you. I'm not suggesting you should be lollipops and rainbows over the KK hire, I certainly wasn't when Wilks came aboard.. . I went into a deep dark depression the second it was announced.

I'm not suggesting you give up your point of view or your beliefs or what your eyes and ears tell you, but my brother, you don't wear hate well. It's not a word I expected to ever hear you use. I think you are trying to come to terms with what you feel is impending disaster. Don't hate please, it's not good for you. And if you ever get the chance, please talk me down from the ledge.

I agree. We just experienced impending disaster with Wilks. As long suffering fans, haven't we seen that the few bright era's of Cardinal football were when we were "offensive minded" teams. Maybe it's me, but I'm at that stage in life where I like to be entertained. I truly enjoy watching the Chiefs, Rams, Patriots, Saints, etc. Yes, they win games. But, even when they do lose, they still score points. At least for the immediate future, I'm fine with losing 44-41. It saddened me that after the 2nd game last year (we didn't cross the 50), I didn't watch a single down of Cardinal football. It was too painful & completely unwatchable. If it means we have to bring in a young college coach to improve the offense, then so be it. I will rip the hair out of my head before I'll watch another Cardinal offense like last years.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. We just experienced impending disaster with Wilks. As long suffering fans, haven't we seen that the few bright era's of Cardinal football were when we were "offensive minded" teams. Maybe it's me, but I'm at that stage in life where I like to be entertained. I truly enjoy watching the Chiefs, Rams, Patriots, Saints, etc. Yes, they win games. But, even when they do lose, they still score points. At least for the immediate future, I'm fine with losing 44-41. It saddened me that after the 2nd game last year (we didn't cross the 50), I didn't watch a single down of Cardinal football. It was too painful & completely unwatchable. If it means we have to bring in a young college coach to improve the offense, then so be it. I will rip the hair out of my head before I'll watch another Cardinal offense like last years.

Some good points. I'm a long time season ticket holder and want to be entertained when I go to a game. This was be far the worst team from an entertainment view point. BAs teams were exciting even when they lost. I'm optimistic about KK and hope his offense will be exciting.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
KK is basicallly the main QB coach, offensive innovator, will install his concepts and call the plays. OC will basically be his assistant to help with some NFL stuff that might be new to KK. Don't think the OC will matter as much as people think. Of course KK will want to mesh some of his concepts with traditional NFL stuff. But it's not like it will be anything close to a 50:50 mesh. KK just needs someone who already knows the NFL game from an OC perspective to give him some hints.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think the perfect scenario would be combining DeFilippo and Kinsbury playbooks together using the best from both with a net result of a playbook that will work in the NFL. To top this off get a hold of the old Coryell playbook and pluck a few of those plays too that defenses maybe haven't seen in years but are still plays that will make a defense look silly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard