DeFilippo to interview for Cards OC opening

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I agree. We just experienced impending disaster with Wilks. As long suffering fans, haven't we seen that the few bright era's of Cardinal football were when we were "offensive minded" teams. Maybe it's me, but I'm at that stage in life where I like to be entertained. I truly enjoy watching the Chiefs, Rams, Patriots, Saints, etc. Yes, they win games. But, even when they do lose, they still score points. At least for the immediate future, I'm fine with losing 44-41. It saddened me that after the 2nd game last year (we didn't cross the 50), I didn't watch a single down of Cardinal football. It was too painful & completely unwatchable. If it means we have to bring in a young college coach to improve the offense, then so be it. I will rip the hair out of my head before I'll watch another Cardinal offense like last years.

Where I lose the Cardinals vision, is that hiring a sub-.500 college coach is going to equate to offensive production.

It is like hiring a defensive coordinator and expecting it to automatically translate into an effective defense, and we saw how that played out last year.

Getting back to the topic, I think bringing in a OC with NFL experience, and the mindset to be progressive would help.....not sure it will help enough but it makes more sense then bring in Sark, and other more traditional OC's. IMHO.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. We just experienced impending disaster with Wilks. As long suffering fans, haven't we seen that the few bright era's of Cardinal football were when we were "offensive minded" teams. Maybe it's me, but I'm at that stage in life where I like to be entertained. I truly enjoy watching the Chiefs, Rams, Patriots, Saints, etc. Yes, they win games. But, even when they do lose, they still score points. At least for the immediate future, I'm fine with losing 44-41. It saddened me that after the 2nd game last year (we didn't cross the 50), I didn't watch a single down of Cardinal football. It was too painful & completely unwatchable. If it means we have to bring in a young college coach to improve the offense, then so be it. I will rip the hair out of my head before I'll watch another Cardinal offense like last years.
Lol! I have to laugh when you say “ I’m fine with losing 44-41.” I’ve said the same thing. But if that happens we will ALL be ripping Vance Joseph, Steve Keim, the 2nd cb and the water boy. Especially if we are contending for a playoff spot.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Where I lose the Cardinals vision, is that hiring a sub-.500 college coach is going to equate to offensive production.

Cause he doesn't now have to recruit to Lubbock. It's the NFL baby! Talent is everywhere and guys are getting paid. Assemble the "professional" talent and let the points win games!!!

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I'd like this a hell of a lot more than Sark. Thank God we dodged that bullet.
Agree! I don't love it, but it is better than Sark who is an outstanding college coordinator and only so so as an NFL O.C.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It is like hiring a defensive coordinator and expecting it to automatically translate into an effective defense, and we saw how that played out last year.

Getting back to the topic, I think bringing in a OC with NFL experience, and the mindset to be progressive would help.....not sure it will help enough but it makes more sense then bring in Sark, and other more traditional OC's. IMHO.

I would hope that we're not going to compare Wilks's defensive acumen with KK's offensive acumen. There is nothing on Wilks's resume to indicate that he had an innovative defensive mind. Absolutely nothing. On the other hand, KK's sub 500 college record had very little to do with shortcomings on offense. His offenses were ALWAYS outstanding. We are obviously not bringing in KK to bolster the defense. We'll leave that whole defensive enchilada to Joseph. I remember when the Cardinals hired Don Coryell. Coryell spent his entire career to that point in the college ranks. He was the offensive mad scientist of that era. Folks in the NFL questioned the hire. Hell, Cardinal fans like myself questioned the hire. He then proceeded to have 3 consecutive seasons with double digit wins (only played 14 games then) & the Cardinals won the vaunted NFC East twice. Btw, those were the only division titles the Cardinals ever won in St. Louis. I'll take my chances with KK. There is risk, but there's always risk. I'd rather be exciting & lose, than be boring & lose.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol! I have to laugh when you say “ I’m fine with losing 44-41.” I’ve said the same thing. But if that happens we will ALL be ripping Vance Joseph, Steve Keim, the 2nd cb and the water boy. Especially if we are contending for a playoff spot.

Understood, but I did say that for the immediate future I was ok with losing 44-41. If we're into the 2nd/3rd year & still giving up 44 points, then all bets are off. We're currently not even a competitive team. Our point differentials were historically pathetic.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I would hope that we're not going to compare Wilks's defensive acumen with KK's offensive acumen. There is nothing on Wilks's resume to indicate that he had an innovative defensive mind. Absolutely nothing. On the other hand, KK's sub 500 college record had very little to do with shortcomings on offense. His offenses were ALWAYS outstanding. We are obviously not bringing in KK to bolster the defense. We'll leave that whole defensive enchilada to Joseph. I remember when the Cardinals hired Don Coryell. Coryell spent his entire career to that point in the college ranks. He was the offensive mad scientist of that era. Folks in the NFL questioned the hire. Hell, Cardinal fans like myself questioned the hire. He then proceeded to have 3 consecutive seasons with double digit wins (only played 14 games then) & the Cardinals won the vaunted NFC East twice. Btw, those were the only division titles the Cardinals ever won in St. Louis. I'll take my chances with KK. There is risk, but there's always risk. I'd rather be exciting & lose, than be boring & lose.

This! It is a risk worth taking and the fact that CKK is being surrounded with a solid coaching staff can't be underestimated. Look at the four teams still standing and how they got here. Three of the four are led by outstanding and creative offense minds. This is an arms race and 'playing it safe' is a formula for being non competitive.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Potentially incorporating some of the Eagles offensive creativity is not necessarily a bad idea.

Now can we get someone from the Chiefs as well.

Lets steal everyones offense. :thumbup:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This! It is a risk worth taking and the fact that CKK is being surrounded with a solid coaching staff can't be underestimated. Look at the four teams still standing and how they got here. Three of the four are led by outstanding and creative offense minds. This is an arms race and 'playing it safe' is a formula for being non competitive.

I'm assuming that New England is the only one you refer to that is NOT led by an outstanding offensive mind. Belichick may have had a defensive background, but make no mistake, NE has almost always won because of what they did on the offensive side of the ball with Brady.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood, but I did say that for the immediate future I was ok with losing 44-41. If we're into the 2nd/3rd year & still giving up 44 points, then all bets are off. We're currently not even a competitive team. Our point differentials were historically pathetic.
Trust me PA, the lol was not laughing at you, it was laughing with you. Living in Chicago I watched as a team projected to win 6 games this year goes out and win the division only to be 1 and done. No matter what expectations were to start the year they are quickly forgotten and by the end of the year fans are unforgiving. If we are in the hunt in week 15 and lose 44-41 we will all have forgotten the nightmare called 2018.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trust me PA, the lol was not laughing at you, it was laughing with you. Living in Chicago I watched as a team projected to win 6 games this year goes out and win the division only to be 1 and done. No matter what expectations were to start the year they are quickly forgotten and by the end of the year fans are unforgiving. If we are in the hunt in week 15 and lose 44-41 we will all have forgotten the nightmare called 2018.

I understand 100% & you are absolutely correct. I live in Eagles country & they are obnoxious fans. It pained me to see that FG hit the post. I had to listen to my moron neighbors all week. Thank the Lord that they lost yesterday!!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand 100% & you are absolutely correct. I live in Eagles country & they are obnoxious fans. It pained me to see that FG hit the post. I had to listen to my moron neighbors all week. Thank the Lord that they lost yesterday!!!
I take it you weren't overwhelmed with grief when the ball went thru Jeffries' hands.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, the guy who got fired for being drunk on the job 3 years ago vs the guy who couldn't elevate a career mediocre QB in Kirk Cousins yet helped develop Wentz just a year before. Let me think.
Yea no kidding. I can just hear the conversation between MB and SK. "Ah Steve, Are you kidding me? NO"

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm surprised he's getting action from multiple teams for a position he couldn't even survive a full season at, with legitimate offensive talent.

As QB coach, I have no problems with the concept of this hire. I just don't know if it's going to be right in this perspective. Although, it tells us one thing, last offseason, he must have made a good impression on us.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm surprised he's getting action from multiple teams for a position he couldn't even survive a full season at, with legitimate offensive talent.

As QB coach, I have no problems with the concept of this hire. I just don't know if it's going to be right in this perspective. Although, it tells us one thing, last offseason, he must have made a good impression on us.
the issue in Minnesota is zimmer... there were several times he and dflip were screaming at each other on the sidelines. Norv Turner actually quit on zimmer mid season....dude is a defensive coach who wants to keep control of his offense on game day.
thats why minne failed, not dflip.
having him here with K2 could be good

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am ok with this prospective hiring because I think they are both smart offensive minds and DeFilippo has a lot to prove so he will be motivated to redeem himself. It is interesting to look at some of the personalities this guy has had to work with. He and KK might be kindred spirits.

NFL head coaches under whom John DeFilippo has served:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
the issue in Minnesota is zimmer... there were several times he and dflip were screaming at each other on the sidelines. Norv Turner actually quit on zimmer mid season....dude is a defensive coach who wants to keep control of his offense on game day.
thats why minne failed, not dflip.
having him here with K2 could be good
Yeah, I did some reading, and it does seem you're right, I'm just reluctant to immediately hand over the reigns to the guy after watching his offense falter all year. And I watched a ton of Vikings games, since my best friend loves them, and I bought big on Cousins in fantasy.

I'm not going to go burn anything down if he's the guy, given that I don't really love any of the guys we've looked at. I wonder why Jim Bob Cooter isn't getting some love.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, I did some reading, and it does seem you're right, I'm just reluctant to immediately hand over the reigns to the guy after watching his offense falter all year. And I watched a ton of Vikings games, since my best friend loves them, and I bought big on Cousins in fantasy.

I'm not going to go burn anything down if he's the guy, given that I don't really love any of the guys we've looked at. I wonder why Jim Bob Cooter isn't getting some love.

for me, with DFlip...I am looking at it using the same excitement I had for the guy last year. He is the same guy regardless of what happened in Minne.
Pairing the guy I was looking at last year with K2 is a reason to be excited for our offense. I think the two together can build a very effective scoring machine....and develop the poo out of Rosen in the process.

P.S.
Keep in mind we have to hire an OC who is willing to surrender the play calling duties to the HC...many experience guys are not gonna want to do that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
for me, with DFlip...I am looking at it using the same excitement I had for the guy last year. He is the same guy regardless of what happened in Minne.
Pairing the guy I was looking at last year with K2 is a reason to be excited for our offense. I think the two together can build a very effective scoring machine....and develop the **** out of Rosen in the process.

P.S.
Keep in mind we have to hire an OC who is willing to surrender the play calling duties to the HC...many experience guys are not gonna want to do that.
Yeah, I know a lot aren't going to want to do that, but we're still looking for someone with some experience running an NFL offense. Flip had basically half of a year, and the things he thought were going to work didn't. That's my fear about him coming in and being the advisor here.

At least he has about 14 years of NFL experience, so that's nice.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lets put to rest the notion, Cardinals got the OC they were planning to hire all along.

It is likely DeFilippo was not on their list when K2 was hired.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'll bite.

I hate the Kingsbury signing for head coach. Biggest reason is the young man has no NFL experience, and runs a pass happy, high paced offense.

It is a "college offense", but a few posters and myself have been talking about this push to "college offenses" in the NFL for a few seasons. It has to go this way, no matter what the "old guard" wants or believes. While stubborn classic NFL coaches try to teach these kids out of college the "pro style" other teams are using the players, and the skills they have honed over their entire football career to that point, to beat the pro style teams by way of being able to just play and not think.

So, thinking DeFilipo would be a bad hire sounds a little silly after signing a sub-.500 college coach to run the team. So, the Cardinals think that "air raid" is the where the league is going.

Ok. Well, then why would it sound crazy to get a coach who has experience with is the closest thing to a pass happy offense ?

I think this whole thing will crash and burn, but bring in a coach that at least would seem to be a guy that would be more inclined to buy into this crazy idea is at least trying to keep some sort of train of logic.

For this whole crazy idea to have a chance to work. Kingsbury is going to need someone that can take what he THINKS he can do in the pros, and translate it to the NFL.

We all had fun making fun of the Alabama player who said, they could be the Cardinals. Why? Cause it is the pros, and even if things are going more "college style" the talent is still way beyond a college program.

If I were running the show (we would all be in trouble) I would be looking for someone that could ease this coach and his system into the NFL. DeFilipo was looked at as head coach material last year, so there must be something there. Not to mention he just left a situation where he was working with someone who would not buy into his system and worked against him and not with him.

This is one of those things that I think just might be the perfect fit.

That being said, a perfect fit for something I do not think is going to work out, but this does makes some sense.
Here I go.

I agree that Kingsbury is a 50/50 proposition, but here is why it could work.

1-Kingsbury has developed young QBs throughout his entire coaching career. HE has done this by adapting what he wants to do on offense to what his QB likes and does best. We have a young QB who needs to be developed, and Kingsbury seems like the most qualified individual, outside of Arians, to do the job.

2-Kingsbury is not interested in being the GM. He has an established GM who has made a name for himself in trying to get players which match his HCs vision.

3-Kingsbury is not interested in being the DC. He has a former HC who wants to prove himself by re-establishing his HC resume. This DC needs to show he can lead men, manage game plans, and improve in his situational play calling.

4-On offense. In the NFL you have to be able to run the ball which is not traditionally a staple in Air Raid systems. However, the Cardinals brought in Sean Kugler who has several years of NFL OL coaching experience along with college coaching experience, and can teach Kingsbury how to transition his college run concepts into pro run concepts. He will install or help install the running game every week which most OL coaches do.

5-They kept a veteran ST coach.

So, if you accept that Kingsbury can coach young QBs, and understands how to develop a legitimate passing game, the rest of the moves help cover the areas where he is deficient. Special teams. Defense. The NFL run game. Roster construction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard