Defend Whiz?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Does Houston's first round tender offer for Matt Leinart still apply in this new CBA? They won't have right to first refusal from what I heard? No compensation from other team signing's? But is it a valid offer going forward?

Seems Matty is valued more by others, even behind top QB Matt S. for Houston?

I want to defend My HC, staff and GM. But with Mike Miller promoted, Whiz blaming the players for EVERYTHING at the end of last season.

Our "keepers" as QB's, Ex- steeler's Porter and Faneca FA busts, Like mcfad before. Our draft busts or extreme loss in value?

The Bidwills did their part by signing HC, Staff and GM after Our playoff/SB success. I don't blame the Bidwill's.

I'm a Homer, Horton is my hope, I have not seen anything else I trust Whiz on this season? In Whiz I fear!

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2011&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=10

scout.com Has Matt Leinart at 16, ML is better than the 16th QB on this list right behind P Manning and Vick, Maybe Hasselbeck too, who is surely decreasing in skills every game down from his prime.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/415213/matt-leinart

Leinart heading to Seattle?
: Matt Leinart will be a free agent when the NFL offseason starts, but the National Football Post reports that he won't be one for long. According to the report, it would be considered an "upset" if Leinart did not reunite with head coach Pete Carroll in Seattle. Carroll was Leinart's coach in college and it's believed Carroll still thinks highly of Leinart's skills.
(Updated 06/21/2011)

http://ari.scout.com/2/1049271.html

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt is the sixth-highest paid coach in the NFL. That’s a staggering fact for more than one reason. To put it in perspective, Whisenhunt makes more than New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid, who’s seemingly been around forever with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Comparably speaking, Whisenhunt is still relatively unproven. Yes, he’s taken advantage of weak NFC West division, cashing in on two playoff appearances while reaching the Super Bowl in the 2008 season. But his body of work isn’t in the same league as coaches such as Coughlin or Reid mentioned above.

During that Super Bowl run in 2008, Arizona managed a record of only 9-7 in the regular season. They prevailed in three postseason games as underdogs. Was it a fluke? Maybe, maybe not. The Cardinals followed it up with another playoff appearance in 2009 but if this year’s trend of miserable play continues 'fluke' will become a common word in the desert.

Given the Cardinals’ refusal to financially commit to its best players, investing so much in a head coach is a puzzling decision. After all, it’s the players who ultimately make the difference between winning and losing.

Sure, Whisenhunt has done a nice job since arriving in Arizona but with the quality of more tenured – and more successful – coaches around the league, it comes as a surprise to see Whisenhunt so far up on the totem pole.

Timing is everything, and Whisenhunt is a prime example.

The Cardinals’ Super Bowl berth couldn’t have come at a better time for Whisenhunt. Following the Dennis Green era, there was nowhere to go but up. Whisenhunt guided the Cardinals to records of 8-8 and 9-7 in his first two seasons. The real breakout came when the Cardinals were oh so close to winning Super Bowl XLIII against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Despite the strides made in Whisenhunt’s first three seasons, it all came crashing down in 2010.

Coming off a 5-11 campaign – with nothing as of now to spark a quick turnaround – another subpar season could leave Whisenhunt due for a pay cut – and possibly new employment all together.

You must be registered for see images

Matt Leinart
(Getty)
While Whisenhunt has been praised as a savior throughout most of his time in Arizona, it hasn’t come without ridicule. Questionable coaching staff decisions, the Matt Leinart debacle are two concerns that come to mind.

Whisenhunt has burned through defensive coordinators like Johnny Cash burning through cigarettes (he’s on his third since taking over as head coach in 2007). Furthermore, Whisenhunt refused to hire an offensive coordinator following the departure of Todd Haley. Whisenhunt doubled as offensive coordinator up until earlier this week when Mike Miller was promoted to take on the role following a pathetic offensive showing this year.

So, why has the Cardinals’ brass ponied up so much money for the head coach but not its players? That’s an excellent question with no apparent answer.

Arizona had loads of momentum heading into this season. Two straight division titles, consecutive playoff appearances, a near miss in the Super Bowl. So what happened? That’s easy: the Cardinals’ front office let big names leave via free agency (Karlos Dansby, Antrel Rolle), traded Anquan Boldin and Kurt Warner retired one year ahead of schedule.

The losses above were too much to overcome and the resources opened up by the defections weren’t reinvested to stay competitive – even in the weakest division in football. The Cardinals’ payroll dropped to one of the lowest in the NFL. The horrible quarterback situation has been beaten to death and was downright embarrassing for a professional football team.

Arizona’s roster will be hard to rejuvenate in just one season. This could be a full-on rebuilding process, particularly if a capable quarterback isn’t brought in. Back-to-back sub-.500 seasons certainly look to be possible and the Cardinals will have a choice to make if that scenario pans out: continue with Whisenhunt being one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL, restructure his contract, or move in a different direction all together.

Many critical decisions are set to arise in Arizona, including the future of Whisenhunt. Another losing campaign could be the beginning of the end or at least the end of Whisenhunt being among the highest paid coaches in the NFL.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will you just call Matt tell him you want to marry him already? Jesus youR man love is disgusting!

And this coming from a guy that knows man love. Just ask Duckjake and Anquan Bodin :)

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this aint really about Whiz.. Its about your love for Matt.. got it.. Let it go.. Im a Cards fan.. Not a player fan.. *******..

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Lord if I hear one more thing about Matt Leinart I think I'm gonna :bang:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will you just call Matt tell him you want to marry him already? Jesus youR man love is disgusting!

And this coming from a guy that knows man love. Just ask Duckjake and Anquan Bodin :)

Wait.. What? You love Duckjake? haha

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Can Mods ban someone for posting full links from websites? I think THESMEL has done this several times. #whistleblower

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
Thanks

So Whiz's judgement is sound, Maybe if you quit calling me stuff that gets ME kicked off the board, but is fine for others to call ME.

Maybe you could quit blaming and attacking Me because, I aint the only one that thought Cutting Matt was the stupidest personnel decision I ever saw!

Counting Porter and Faneca, destroying Deuce in the press while he remained quiet, Not signing Faneca, Horton Coaching the "Cardinal out of Mcfad"

Whiz, staff and Graves had 5 out the 10 stupidest personell decisions in the NFL each these last 2 years!

Please list the stupider personnel decision, Al Davis was wrong on Russell but He wasn't stupid about it.

So this aint really about Whiz.. Its about your love for Matt.. got it.. Let it go.. Im a Cards fan.. Not a player fan.. *******..

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
I'm over it, but right in the middle of absolutely NO QB at this time problem.

you know the

The losses above were too much to overcome and the resources opened up by the defections weren’t reinvested to stay competitive – even in the weakest division in football. The Cardinals’ payroll dropped to one of the lowest in the NFL. The horrible quarterback situation has been beaten to death and was downright embarrassing for a professional football team.

Not to mention Reid is selling us his 3rd best QB for 2 first round draft picks!

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really ought to start a thread titled "Attack Whiz" since that's really all this thread is meant for. I've said this before and I'll say it again. When you say stuff such as "I really like Whiz but" and then proceed to trash the man in every possible way, you really haven't fooled anyone but yourself. You don't like the guy, you don't trust the guy and no amount of back-handed compliments will change that truth.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You still have a resentment about Leinart being cut. To pretend otherwise is silly.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whisenhunt has burned through defensive coordinators like Johnny Cash burning through cigarettes (he’s on his third since taking over as head coach in 2007). Furthermore, Whisenhunt refused to hire an offensive coordinator following the departure of Todd Haley. Whisenhunt doubled as offensive coordinator up until earlier this week when Mike Miller was promoted to take on the role following a pathetic offensive showing this year.
I dont follow the Cards close enough to pass judgement on Whiz...but the info above isn't a good thing.

Is it a trend of instability or just a case of Whiz being pro-active?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I know a jerk in Vegas who just went on ignore. You really ought to try responding to the debate once in a while instead of just trying to be a smart ass all the time.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
yes

Yes among other things, But Matt didn't cut himself. and the problem didn't go to Texas with him. I'm an Arizona Cardinals fan, and blindly followed in Whiz I trust,

I understood Rolle, Dansby and the Q trade, Reggie Wells stuck in my craw cause even an idiot like me knew Faneca wasn't going to be better than Well's years past his prime.

The Cody Brown Cut to bring in Porter who was years past his prime. I mentioned some of the other ones, Buster Davis as bad pick is one thing

This is way past trend, its a mess! Lyle, Patrick, Breaston signed tenders and Whiz attacked Deuce in the press, repeatedly!

What other coach does this? Reid? not! Shanahan , Albert was under contract! I have a huge problem with Whiz saying his staff and system are fine, but the players all sucked and would be held accountable, at the end of last year.

Before he killed the 2 coordinator offense idea, and Hired Horton. I bet you Horton don't stay quiet about the offense having 8 second 4 down possessions with the lead!

Never have i seen an NFL Coach throw the entire team under the bus, like Whiz did at the end of last year.

Maybe it is time that Whiz watches the SB tape, to see of his players did some things right and deserve a contract.

http://ari.scout.com/a.z?s=126&p=9&c=12&yr=2010&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=10

You still have a resentment about Leinart being cut. To pretend otherwise is silly.

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never wanted to puch someone in the face as I do to THESMEL in a long time.. So irritating..

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
Ouch

Ouch, Gee I said 2010 before it happened! We need to talk about coach, staff and GM, like potty trained adults!

So far I've been attacked, called names and now you wanna punch me in my lip fo stating the obvious.

I also was a great cheerleader in 2008 and said 2008 before it happened on profootballcentral.com Of course i didn't predict we would bench Edge and get throttled the worse in history before Whiz reinserted him to the SB.

but it aint about me, It is about Coach, staff and GM? how do you evaluate their performance?

I want them to turn it around and succeed, but they have been one of the worse in the NFL over the last 2 years, since the contract. As a fan I owe my honest unpopular opinion.

I have never wanted to puch someone in the face as I do to THESMEL in a long time.. So irritating..

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a jerk in Vegas who just went on ignore. You really ought to try responding to the debate once in a while instead of just trying to be a smart ass all the time.

I wasn't being a smartass. I was simply pointing out that you and Q can attest to my man love for Q. I mean hell you more than anyone gave me **** for it any chance you could. Haha!

But whatever. :p

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
Q

I didn't like Q faking that injury with DD, I did like him lobbying for Edge to come here against the worlds will. I liked Q's play.

I thought the Cards offering him top 5 WR money before Fitz signed was respect, they chose Q over Fitz for all practical purposes, but that was one of the first times Whiz was called out by a player.

Q didn't think coach should be involved with his contract situation. And was not happy with the bonus money, even though He was still collecting from the 10 Mill bonus under Denny.

It seems Whiz has a bad relationship with all star players. And they don't trust his open door policy or they wouldn't have to go to the press. Deuce was quiet When Whiz started the smear tactics. I could see a statement once but the ongoing attacks.

its the signing of drafted Cards only Fitz, DD, and AW since he's been here 6 years that bugs me, and evaluations of Porter, Faneca, Wright, Mcfad and other FA's and draft picks that is horrble in my mind, now.

Followed closely by the last amount of rushing attempts and lack of commitment to the run game that I expected from an ex steeler coach.

I wasn't being a smartass. I was simply pointing out that you and Q can attest to my man love for Q. I mean hell you more than anyone gave me **** for it any chance you could. Haha!

But whatever. :p

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is amazing how confusing this thread is with the ignore feature turned on. Is THESMEL going on about THEMATT again?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard