Deandre Ayton discussion

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
His hands are the single most puzzling thing to me for his entire career.
Game 3 wasn't normal, there were several passes that were at his knees. The team should know to not pass the ball at his knees! Most big men, not just Ayton, would have trouble with some of the passes Booker was throwing to him on Thursday.

Didn't see that as much in this game.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
DA is playing well offensively. I mean he is setting himself up for good, high percentage shots, and his teammates are finding him often. It's his defense most of the time that is impressing the most in this series. I still think he sits on his hands when he's on the bench, but is looking good. He'll almost certainly never be the generational superstar that Doncic. He may however be a more important piece of a top team and (crossing fingers… mentally anyways) championship contender.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DA is playing well offensively. I mean he is setting himself up for good, high percentage shots, and his teammates are finding him often. It's his defense most of the time that is impressing the most in this series. I still think he sits on his hands when he's on the bench, but is looking good. He'll almost certainly never be the generational superstar that Doncic. He may however be a more important piece of a top team and (crossing fingers… mentally anyways) championship contender.

he’s having the 1990 Mark West series against the Lakers I mentioned before the playoffs started. He stays focused and Paul either stays the same or gets a little better and we got this!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Da putting up mini shaq numbers!!! Finally playing like a tru num 1 pick!! Those type of players take over gms cough duncan

Hope he continues down this path :)

Go suns!

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
he’s having the 1990 Mark West series against the Lakers I mentioned before the playoffs started. He stays focused and Paul either stays the same or gets a little better and we got this!

West was like 63% TS that series. Against AC Green.

Ayton is just under 80%! Outplaying Anthony Davis.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AND he’s dunking with authority.

it’s like a switch was flipped on the second the playoffs started.
He is also starting to get some respect from the refs. Drummond keeps trying to draw charging fouls on him and gets knocked in the mouth. Eventually, trying to guard him like that won’t be worth the pain.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Ayton stays on pace my mind is blown. The series isn’t over and his numbers are already eye opening.

38-of-47 field goal attempts (80%)
Averaging 40 minutes a game
79 points
54 rebounds

We need him to stay locked in for these remaining games.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know this is not the off season, but max contract for Ayton? Bridges < Max?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Ayton gets the max this off season if he continues his performance.

Maybe the Suns and Bridges can agree to something less. He is not a max player.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think PHX may wait to extend both Ayton & Bridges until they determine if they can get another big piece in FA. Both can be re-signed using Bird's Rights to go over cap if necessary. What happens with Paul will determine that. He is a UFA after next season and if he doesn't re-sign then suddenly $44M comes off the books which could lure in a star and then you can re-sign both Ayton & Bridges. I don't see Paul getting more than a 3 year deal after next season as that would take him to 40 and not sure he can hold up much longer with his injury history.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
#1 priority this off-season (assuming Paul opts-in or extends) is resigning Cameron Payne. As a 25 year old rising UFA he is going to command a large sum. I don’t know the cap mechanics work exactly, but I know we can go over the cap to resign Ayton/Bridges after 2022, and it’s absolutely imperative that we bring back Payne.

I would not blink at 3/35.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't like the matchup with Ayton guarding Gasol. Ayton is most effective when he's challenged on defense, he seemed to get lost a few times when Gasol was hanging around the 3pt line. I'd rather see Ayton guard Lebron and Crowder guard Gasol.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't like the matchup with Ayton guarding Gasol. Ayton is most effective when he's challenged on defense, he seemed to get lost a few times when Gasol was hanging around the 3pt line. I'd rather see Ayton guard Lebron and Crowder guard Gasol.

I agree with this in theory, but the Suns will need to be very cognizant to provide help and still recover/scramble to shooters. Ayton foul trouble or open corner threes are both bad predictable outcomes of his guarding a desperate LeBron.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can match any offer for Ayton and Bridges in 2022/23 as they will be RFAs although it's risky to wait extending them. See Joe Johnson.

I'm hoping the Suns have some bird rights on Cam Payne. The Suns will not have much money to spend in free agency this off season.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree with this in theory, but the Suns will need to be very cognizant to provide help and still recover/scramble to shooters. Ayton foul trouble or open corner threes are both bad predictable outcomes of his guarding a desperate LeBron.

I agree, I realize my post almost sounds critical of Ayton. It's really the opposite. He's been so good its a waste to have him guard a spot up shooter like Gasol.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, I realize my post almost sounds critical of Ayton. It's really the opposite. He's been so good its a waste to have him guard a spot up shooter like Gasol.

it’s also going to pull him away from the basket on defense. It’s a tough call. LeBron will go at him and likely WILL get calls, whether they’re BS or not.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges no but Ayton? Market decides his worth. With flashes during the season and if he keeps this up during the playoffs?

No doubt multiple teams will be lining up with max deals.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges no but Ayton? Market decides his worth. With flashes during the season and if he keeps this up during the playoffs?

No doubt multiple teams will be lining up with max deals.

I'm still against a max extension at this point but if he can keep his play up at the level he's at through 4 postseason games then a max deal makes more sense. Unless he can sustain this through a finals run though I wouldn't give him an extension this summer. He's been too up and down to be rewarded early.

The idea of paying Bridges $20 million a year, or more, has fallen off this postseason. His play is far too inconsistent to warrant that sort of payday. Let the market set his value if he thinks he's worth more than $15 a year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose