DCU: Black Adam

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So bad. So, so bad. I tend to poo poo the critics, so although the RT score was worrying, I went into it figuring the Rock would carry it. And the Rock was good as the actual character. The actual movie was just baaad. The exposition was about as cringeworthy as possible. The introduction of the "antagonists" was cringeworthy, as were the actual "antagonists," save for the girl. There was a lot more I didn't like, but I don't have the energy to get into it.

Now, this wasn't WW84 level bad. I would say it's Aquaman level bad, where it was just clunky, hamfisted, but not "oh come on, how idiotic can you be" level bad. I hold out hope that the sequel/sequels might be better, but we also know what one of the worst DC movies was, so...le sigh.

I had planned on skipping this after seeing the trailers but decided to give it a chance now that it's on HBO. I agree with most of this but I don't think The Rock was any good in the role, but Cyclone and Hawkman made the best of what they had. Much of the film felt like a high budget parody at times, especially with the exposition and character introductions.

And apparently The Rock's refusal to have anything to do with Shazam tanked the direction of that sequel, which is too bad because the first one exceeded my expectations and was one of the few bright spots of the DCEU.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I had planned on skipping this after seeing the trailers but decided to give it a chance now that it's on HBO. I agree with most of this but I don't think The Rock was any good in the role, but Cyclone and Hawkman made the best of what they had. Much of the film felt like a high budget parody at times, especially with the exposition and character introductions.

And apparently The Rock's refusal to have anything to do with Shazam tanked the direction of that sequel, which is too bad because the first one exceeded my expectations and was one of the few bright spots of the DCEU.
Yeah, I read that. Apparently he was a real douche, forced a Superman appearance at the end and not his actual opposite Shazam, and--get this--was trying to force Black Adam to be the center of the new DCEU. Da fuq?