D'Backs trade for Shelby Miller

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, does Miller keep his GB up and his HR down at Chase? If so, he could justify this trade. If not, the trade will have failed (as we won't be as good a team now and we've lost a lot of potential to be good later as well). Projections have those regressing and look worse, but maybe his pitch selection has made him a different pitcher. It's a wait and see.

Even with the Greinke signing we weren't a complete team so the auxiliary moves either involve more money or trading cheap talent. Given those the org obviously went with talent (small market team).

Blair is 23 and wasting away in AAA. He either needed to be put in the rotation or traded for a MLB player. Right now his peak IP is less than 83.

For Ender to have a Pollock like offensive jump he'd have to change his approach. He's a less patient gb hitter vs Pollock's more patient fb hitter. That's not likely to happen and his power and OBP will struggle because of it.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually more to the point I have never seen an organization trade their #1 and #3 prospect. To get only a decent #2 starter seems like we grossly overpaid.

Will be interesting to see where the team is in 4 years after having no first round pick 3 years in a row.

We insisted on not giving up Pollock. STL got Heyward for him last year.

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Heyward was a year from Free Agency.

To be fair, Miller was a different pitcher in 2015 than he was in 2014.

His four seam FB usage went from 62% to 33% and he started throwing a two seam and cut FB. He also became a much more GB pitcher and lowered his HR rate.

The question becomes if you believe these changes make him a ~3.5 WAR SP or if he’s really a ~1.5 WAR SP.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We also have to remember that LaRussa knows him from his time in St. Louis.

This isn't Joe Shmoe they are taking this risk on. This is a guy who LaRussa has been watching for years.

He got traded to a bad situation, gets hammered loss after loss while pitching good and doesn't waver. That and he's 25. Maybe they are wrong, but they made a decision of who they like more. The guys we had, or Miller. They must think very highly of him.

Some have said he could be a #1 someday. Some GM as reported somewhere said they'd rather have him then Jeff Samardzija.

We're a young team, we still have talent that can percolate up, and still have money to spend. We traded some of the best of the excess to solidify the top of our rotation to couple with the ZG signing.

We gave up a lot, but we had those assets to give up. Meanwhile the rest of the NL West keeps coming up empty handed. Prospects could turn out great and make an impact in a period of say, 3-10 years from now, but we also have to remember no one knew who should be the #1 pick last year, and it was considered a down draft at the top. He's no Alex Rodriguez. He should be solid, but we got a solid guy now for sure in the trade.

We have to look at all these moves in conjunction with what might happen later in the offseason or near the trading deadline. This deal allows us to go out and do more.

Signing a lesser guy for more money takes away some of that flexibility, and we might be able to be buyers for guys teams might not be able to re-sign near the deadline.

Now if we can somehow get some relief pitching help, we'll be solid everywhere on the diamond.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just read a rumor that MIA was supposedly asking for Corbin, Swanson, Blair, Drury & Enciarte for Fernandez. If there's any truth to the rumor then ARZ did the right thing in going for Miller.

Supposedly, they wanted Pederson, Urias & Corey Seager for Fernandez. Aside from Miller, there hasn't been a good young SP dealt this offseason so maybe the prices are steeper than we think.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Dbacks targeted Miller pretty early so obviously he was their desired target and not just some last minute thing.

Did La Russa draft this guy?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't say this often, but I 100% agree with Gambo! :D

http://arizonasports.com/story/486609/the-diamondbacks-made-a-good-move-in-getting-shelby-miller/

The Diamondbacks got a legit No. 2 starting pitcher who is 25-years-old and has a St. Louis Cardinals pedigree. He’s also under control for three more years and they didn’t give up AJ Pollock. The Diamondbacks are clearly in a win-now mode and Blair and Swanson weren’t coming this year and Inciarte, whom I like, is replaceable.

Would D-backs fans rather have made the Miami trade. Trust me on this as this is the first time you will hear exactly what the Marlins wanted for Jose Fernandez. To lure the stud 23-year-old Fernandez away from Miami the D-backs would have had to part with — drum roll please — Pollock, Corbin, Bradley, Shipley, Chase Anderson and Brandon Drury.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jack McNeil
Jack McNeil – ‏@JackMcNeil44
Dave Stewart: "When you look at Shelby Miller, you're looking at a guy who was traded for Jason Heyward, who is worth $200 million"
9:58 AM - 9 Dec 2015

I don't even know where to begin LOL

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, reading that just pisses me off.

What defines "No. 2 SP" exactly?

This statement below by Gambo

I really can’t stand the number-crunching that some of these nerds do and I just don’t recognize their statistical analysis on any basis.

Means you're this

Attachments

• Dino.jpg
    Dino.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just read a rumor that MIA was supposedly asking for Corbin, Swanson, Blair, Drury & Enciarte for Fernandez. If there's any truth to the rumor then ARZ did the right thing in going for Miller.

Supposedly, they wanted Pederson, Urias & Corey Seager for Fernandez. Aside from Miller, there hasn't been a good young SP dealt this offseason so maybe the prices are steeper than we think.
does anyone make this trade now?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't even like baseball and the news of that trade infuriated me.

The #1 pick is not just a player. He represents the suffering of 162 games. You had to be the worst team in MLB to get him. So when you trade that away for a mid level pitcher? Its unconscionable. You paid 1 year and hundreds of millions of dollars for this pitcher via the #1 pick. Unreal no matter how the trade turns out.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a very entertaining thread to look back at...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To Review:

Dbacks gave up Inciarte, Swanson and Blair for Miller

Inciarte and Swanson are starting for the Braves, Blair was released by the Braves last month

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
To Review:

Dbacks gave up Inciarte, Swanson and Blair for Miller

Inciarte and Swanson are starting for the Braves, Blair was released by the Braves last month

Heard Swanson isn't lighting it up though.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heard Swanson isn't lighting it up though.

So far Swanson($565k) is having a better year than Marte ($1.4M), Ahmed ($1.275M), and Owings ($3.4M).

He'd be our best and cheapest MIF option.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard