DAL-LAL Trade Idea

HooverDam

Reaction score
So I DON'T expect this to happen, as I can't imagine the Lakers actually giving up on the Dwight experiment already. But if the Dwight/Kobe and Dwight/Nash relationship has become untenable and they Lakers do want to make a push for this year and next, I had this idea:

Lakers Trade:

Dwight Howard
Devin Ebanks

Mavs Trade:

Shawn Marion
Vince Carter
Chris Kaman
Future 1st Round Pick

The Lakers do this trade because it greatly improves their depth. Kaman can hold down the fort at the 5 spot until Gasol comes back. Marion can play the 4, moving Earl Clark back to the bench. Obvioulsy Marion works well w/ what D'Antoni and Nash excel at. It also improves their floor spacing a great deal.

Vince Carter gives LA some punch off the bench, which they greatly need. When Gasol comes back, Kaman can slide to the bench. LA also isn't taking on too much salary in this deal, as Kaman is expiring and Marion and VC only have one year left on their deals after this one.

For Dallas, they're not going anywhere this year anyhow. It gets them Dwight, and they don't have to worry about him resigning in LA, going to Brooklyn, or whatever. They don't lose any real major building block type assets either. Dwight and Dirk would compliment each other extremely well too. Plus unless something has changed, Dallas is one of Dwights preferred destinations.

Ebanks would be buried on LAs new depth chart and Dallas would be hurting for a SF, so thats why I tossed him in there.

New Two Deeps:

LA:
C. Gasol/Kaman
PF. Marion/Jamison
SF. World-Peace/Earl Clark
SG. Kobe/Vince Carter
PG. Nash/Blake

I think thats actually a better team than what they currently have, though its arguably less talented.

Dallas:
C. Howard/Brandn Wright
PF. Dirk/Elton Brand
SF Crowder/Ebanks
SG Mayo/Dominique Jones
PG Collison/Beaubois

Dallas takes a step back this year, but likely weren't making the playoffs anyhow. They'd look to find a PG or SF in the late lottery.

Thoughts? Again, I doubt LA is ready to admit "welp this didn't work", so it won't happen. But its a fun thought, and would certainly shake up the West. It also shifts the Lakers entirely into "win this year or next" mode, and hurts their long term future.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Only issue is Marion is not the streach four Mike would want. I think Gasol instead would make more sense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way. :barf:

The Lakers have no interest in getting even older.

Have they figured out a way to stop time?

Seriously though, I could see them putting all their eggs in a win now basket and counting on the fact they're the Lakers to dig them out of the hole they'll be in when Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Artest, Marion and Carter all drop dead from old age in a year or two. I'm not sure this is the deal that puts them over the top but I can't see age scaring them away given that their championship hopes begin and end with Kobe Bryant.

Steve

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just not a good lineup, and an older one to boot. I don't want Earl Clark going to the bench, and definitely not for Shawn Marion. Vince Carter? Please no, never ever no. Draft pick would be useless. Kaman's the only thing out of that I'd be remotely interested in. That team wouldn't win jack.

The Lakers could get far better value for D12 if they want to move him.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That's just not a good lineup, and an older one to boot. I don't want Earl Clark going to the bench, and definitely not for Shawn Marion. Vince Carter? Please no, never ever no. Draft pick would be useless. Kaman's the only thing out of that I'd be remotely interested in. That team wouldn't win jack.

The Lakers could get far better value for D12 if they want to move him.
I don't think the lakers are interested in trading with dallas, but the lakers did deal with dallas previously with odom which caught me off guard(sabotosh lol) and cubes did call about kobe in 2007 and claims that he was in play.

I just don't think they don't really get any value out of a trade with dallas unless they are completely throwing in the towell with dwight. dallas does have some talent though that could be better suited on other teams. I think they(LAL) are interested in keeping dwight, but the shocking development for me is that dwight does not look like he wants to stay there. the lakers might be better off trading him and hoping that they can catch a spark. I think that dwight would pair well with dirk( a better version of the dirk/chandler pairing that was stellar). but dallas would likely have to sign dwight in the offseason and hope that dwight wants to be there.

dallas' problem is they don't really have any consistency. they have a lot of talent, but a lot of guys that don't know their role. the rotation is all jacked up and the chemistry just isn't there. most of those guys were just sort of spliced together in the offseason and there is no continuity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn