Crawford: Our short-term answer as distributing PG?

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
5, 7 and 14 assists for Jamal in his last 3 games. Teams have to respect his shooting ability, and he's an excellent ballhandler. He made 14 assists look easy last night. Oh, and he tweeted out last night:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He's never averaged more than 5 assists per game in any season, but I don't think it's for lack of ability. Am I crazy to think we could start seeing him put up 5-8 assists on a nightly basis?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Man, he's completely changed my perception of him. I thought he was just a chucker, but he's our best playmaker by far. I also love the fact that he's such a willing and patient teacher out there. Last night it was great to see him pull the team in as soon as New York started going zone last night, getting the team ready for it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Man, he's completely changed my perception of him. I thought he was just a chucker, but he's our best playmaker by far. I also love the fact that he's such a willing and patient teacher out there. Last night it was great to see him pull the team in as soon as New York started going zone last night, getting the team ready for it.
But there must also be a consideration about his age as playmaker (and defending playmakers) as the season wears on.

He'd be great off the bench, and as a mentor for a younger successor, but if we expect him to be our lead Point Guard for the rest of the season, it could lead to disappointment.

I hope the Suns are not lulled into a false sense of security and will still consider a mid-age experienced Point Guard to be a priority.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is filling that role off the bench, which is just how it should be.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But there must also be a consideration about his age as playmaker (and defending playmakers) as the season wears on.

He'd be great off the bench, and as a mentor for a younger successor, but if we expect him to be our lead Point Guard for the rest of the season, it could lead to disappointment.

I hope the Suns are not lulled into a false sense of security and will still consider a mid-age experienced Point Guard to be a priority.

This, plus Crawford is not a good enough defender to play extended minutes alongside Booker.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yup he’s doing exactly what we want where it’s most needed . . . off the bench with the 2nd unit. Calming and facilitating and playmaking influence.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Crawford is showing he is a veteran leader who will do whatever it takes to help the Suns. As someone mentioned, he even came for a reasonable price. His value has gone up in my book. If the Suns could bring him back next season, I would be happy with that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Crawford is showing he is a veteran leader who will do whatever it takes to help the Suns. As someone mentioned, he even came for a reasonable price. His value has gone up in my book. If the Suns could bring him back next season, I would be happy with that.
Really showing no signs of slowing down. At this rate it would be a near travesty if they can't get him back next year. This is what it is supposed to look like for a veteran to take on a leadership role on a young team. Go F yourself Ariza...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still a mystery to me that some playoff team didn't want his instant offense off the bench for vet minimum. He's been a great pick up for us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still a mystery to me that some playoff team didn't want his instant offense off the bench for vet minimum. He's been a great pick up for us.

The same here. Maybe we can chalk this up to his relationship with James Jones.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The same here. Maybe we can chalk this up to his relationship with James Jones.
It immediately shows where McD was lacking that Jones isn't, understanding players on a personal level. McD always seemed to get guys that had the expirience to be good leaders for the team, but didn't actually have the personality for it. Jones goes out and gets Crawford on a cheap deal and gets a guy that legit wants to lead.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It immediately shows where McD was lacking that Jones isn't, understanding players on a personal level. McD always seemed to get guys that had the expirience to be good leaders for the team, but didn't actually have the personality for it. Jones goes out and gets Crawford on a cheap deal and gets a guy that legit wants to lead.

I think you point out one of McDonough's weaknesses... dealing with players. Jones definitely has the edge here.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was despised in Minny last year. He really looked like he was done.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Clippers fans loved him, but he was pretty bad the last two years in LA, and last year in Minnesota. Shot selection somehow got worse, his shooting splits went in the tank, he was playing next to two other guards, his defense was as bad as ever.

Credit to Jamal for adjusting despite the worst shooting season of his career thus far. Everyone loves him as a person and as a leader. Glad he can be that mentor in Phoenix, and he seems to be embracing it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the previous teams just relied on him being a veteran and let him have free reign coming off the bench.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson