KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/press_release_details.php?op=details&ID=3593

COYOTES SIGN MIKE RICCI TO MULTI-YEAR DEAL
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Friday, July 9, 2004

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA -- Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Michael Barnett announced today that the Coyotes have signed free agent center Mike Ricci to a multi-year contract. As per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 6-foot, 200-pound Ricci played in 71 games with the San Jose Sharks last season, collecting 7-19-26 and 40 penalty minutes (PIM). He served as both captain and assistant captain for the Sharks last season, and played in his 1,000th NHL game on Feb. 11, 2004 at Detroit. Ricci helped lead the Sharks to the Western Conference Finals last season, recording 2-3-5 in 17 playoff games. Ricci was also the Sharks’ nominee for the King Clancy Award (awarded “to the player in the league that best exemplifies leadership qualities both on-and off-the-ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community”).

“There are many superlatives that you can use to describe Mike Ricci, but the most widely held is that of competitor,” said Barnett. “He lays it on the line, every shift, every night. He has led some great teams, always by example, and I am sure that same leadership and tenacity will be hugely welcomed in our room. On and off the ice Mike has been a winner throughout his entire career. This signing, along with those of Sean O'Donnell, Boyd Devereaux, and Jason Chimera over the past two weeks will evidence to our returning players and our fans that the bar of expectation has been raised considerably.”

Ricci, 32, has played with San Jose, Colorado, Quebec and Philadelphia during his 14-year NHL career, including the last seven seasons with the Sharks. In 1,014 career NHL games, Ricci has collected 233-355-588 and 906 PIM. He has also played in 110 playoff games, recording 23-43-66 and 77 PIM. While with Colorado in 1995-96, Ricci served as an assistant captain on their Stanley Cup championship team. He played an important role in the Avalanche’s run for the Stanley Cup, setting career playoff highs with 6-11-17 and 18 PIM in 22 games in ‘96.

“I am very excited to be joining the Phoenix Coyotes,” said Ricci. “I would like to thank Mike Barnett, Wayne Gretzky and Cliff Fletcher for showing confidence in me and going out and signing me. The Coyotes have a great nucleus of young, talented players and I look forward to playing in Phoenix.”

The Scarborough, Ontario native has recorded 40-or-more points 7 times in a season and 50-or-more points 3 times. He has also scored 20-or-more goals in 6 different seasons. In 1992-93, Ricci set career highs in assists (51), points (78) and PIM (123) in 77 games with Quebec. The following season, Ricci scored a career-high 30 goals in 83 games with Quebec in 1993-94. More recently, he had a big offensive season in 2001-02 when he collected 19-34-53 in 79 games with San Jose.

Ricci is also well known for his defensive play, having once been a finalist for the Frank J. Selke Trophy (awarded to the NHL’s top defensive forward) in 1999-2000 and, in two consecutive seasons (2000-01 and 2001-02), he finished 4th in the voting for the award. In 2000-01, Ricci also led the Sharks in faceoffs taken with 1,614 and ranked tied for 1st among team forwards with 46 blocked shots.

He leaves the Sharks organization ranked among the club’s all-time leaders in games played, goals, assists, points and shorthanded goals. In addition, Ricci ranks among the Sharks all-time playoff leaders in games played (2nd), goals (3rd), assists (3rd) and points (2nd). He was named as a Sharks assistant captain in only his second season (1998-99) with San Jose and served in that capacity for six seasons.

Ricci was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1st round (4th overall) of the 1990 NHL Entry Draft. Prior to being drafted, he had an amazing junior career, playing three seasons (1987-1990) with the Peterborough Petes (OHL). As Peterborough’s captain, Ricci collected 130-153-283 and 102 PIM in 161 games and also played in 37 playoff games, registering 29-28-57 and 48 PIM. In 1989-90, he was named the Canadian Major Junior Player of the Year after scoring 52-64-116 in only 60 games. He was also named the OHL’s MVP and was selected to the OHL’s First All-Star Team.

Ricci has represented Team Canada twice at the World Junior Championships (1989 and 1990) and in 1990 he captained Canada’s gold-medal winning team. In addition, Ricci helped lead Team Canada to a gold-medal victory at the 1994 World Championships.
I love this signing since he will provide the Coyotes with veteran savy (ie leadership) and he's flourished well in the post season.....He will provide them with aggressiveness and another capable offensive threat....

It's been an excellent off-season thus far for the Coyotes..Obviously the 2 most significant questions are...Will there indeed be a '04-'05 and who will be the next Coyote's coach?

Last edited:

BigMac1212

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm a little cautious when it comes to Recci. I hope he won't be as big of a dissapointment as Amonte was. He will be a great addition to our team. I just hope he will continue his sucess here.

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
BigMac1212 said:
I'm a little cautious when it comes to Recci. I hope he won't be as big of a dissapointment as Amonte was. He will be a great addition to our team. I just hope he will continue his sucess here.

Honestly you don't have much to worry about that. Those two players couldn't be any more opposite if they tried. Ricci is a guy that will go to the net, go into corners, block shots, take hits, do whatever is necessary to win. Amonte is a one-dimensional "goal scorer" who will only be caught going to the net on odd man rush.

This is a great signing for the Yotes. Ricci and Nash on the same team...it's pretty much a lock that teams are going to hate playing against us.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Going to play for the team in which its fans chant "Ricci's ugly" every time the Sharks played down in Phoenix. Nice.

As a Shark fan, I can tell you that Ricci gives it his all every night. He's a hard worker, and he's great in the locker room as well as with the fans. But I can tell you that last season he really lost a step. He played pretty poorly and it stands now, is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner at best.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town Drunk said:
Going to play for the team in which its fans chant "Ricci's ugly" every time the Sharks played down in Phoenix. Nice.

As a Shark fan, I can tell you that Ricci gives it his all every night. He's a hard worker, and he's great in the locker room as well as with the fans. But I can tell you that last season he really lost a step. He played pretty poorly and it stands now, is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner at best.
I had seats a couple of times on the ice (in the corner) and Ricci actually slapped the glass at me once and flipped me of about a dozen times.

Freaking awesome!

He's like Danny Ainge - when he played against us - he's the one most hated, when on your team - one of the most loved.

I love this signing!

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt necessarily compare the when the Coyotes acquired Amonte to the recent signing of Ricci either...

Amonte was really the only scoring threat when he was signed, and since the Coyotes have built a solid core of younger players....

More than likely...the first line will be Nash/Doan/Comrie.... Nash would be on that line to provide some protection for Doan and Comrie.....

The 2nd line... Nagy/Ricci/Sjostrom

The 3rd line.... Chimera/Langkow or Devereaux/Johnson

That's contingent on if more transactions take place or also on health status....

The reason why I placed Ricci on the 2nd line is the same for placing Nash on the 1st, because he would be used in the enforcer role to help create space for Nagy and Sjostrom...to eliminate any physical burdens that might be inflicted on them.....

I just hope a lock-out will be averted because I have this feeling that the Coyotes will have an exciting year.....

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
More than likely...the first line will be Nash/Doan/Comrie.... Nash would be on that line to provide some protection for Doan and Comrie.....

The 2nd line... Nagy/Ricci/Sjostrom

The 3rd line.... Chimera/Langkow or Devereaux/Johnson

That's contingent on if more transactions take place or also on health status....

The reason why I placed Ricci on the 2nd line is the same for placing Nash on the 1st, because he would be used in the enforcer role to help create space for Nagy and Sjostrom...to eliminate any physical burdens that might be inflicted on them.....

I don't think Nash will be on the 1st line. He plays a physical game but by no means is he an enforcer. Same goes for Ricci. Both guys are more agitators than enforcers. They aren't really going to drop the gloves all that much. For better or for worse enforcers are being faced out around the league and the same holds true here in Phoenix. Nazarov is the only thing close to an enforcer and he rarely sniffed the ice last year on an injury depleted line up. That says a lot.

Its tough to pick lines because the rosters are nowhere near set. But this is what I would like to see:

1st line: Savage-Comrie-Doan. Left is obviously a whole. I would go with Savage to start (unless we buy him out) and maybe Chimera or even Cleary will get a chance if (I mean when) Savage fails to produce.

2nd line: Nagy-Langkow-Johnson. When together this has been one of our best lines the past couple years. They have to be reunited.

3rd line: Nash-Ricci-Rupp. Reckless abandon. I can't wait to see Nash and Ricci together.

4th line: Cleary-Devereaux-Sjostrom. This line will obviously be mixed and matched. I think Westrum will force his way into the line up before it's all said and done.

On paper we got a lot better this week. Almost makes you forget about that debacle they called a draft.

Hordispack

Veteran
Reaction score
:thumbup:
Awesome acquisition!

Mike Ricci is the number one player fans hate...unless he's on YOUR team.

What Mike's been lacking in the looks dept will be made up for IMO as soon as he puts on the Yotes uniform.
Welcome!

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good veteran signing by the yotes, this guy does all the little things.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
I find it quite strange that so many teams are still signing players with the CBA set to expire. There will obviously be some sort of Grandfather Clause with existing contracts, etc..

On another note, Savage was traded to St. Louis at the deadline, so the Coyotes don't have to worry about that dead weight any longer.

Ricci is an excellent pickup. While he may have become 3rd or 4th line material in San Jose, he is obviously top line material here and should provide a great deal of leadership to the young players the Coyotes have. I also think he'll be a good compliment to Shane Doan.

Doaner was really left carrying the load last season, let's hope a guy like Ricci can take take some of that off his shoulders.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bob Chebat said:
On another note, Savage was traded to St. Louis at the deadline, so the Coyotes don't have to worry about that dead weight any longer.

Wrong. Savage was traded with the hope that someone would pick him up on waivers in the offseason. It not, we would have to pick him up again, which we did. Unfortunately, Douchebag Savage is still a coyote. What a waste of space.

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
Bob Chebat said:
Once upon a time, I would have known that about Savage. :shrug:

Yeah, you would think trading him would be enough to get rid of him but not Savage. That contract will continue to haunt us for the longest time possible. I wish we could afford to buy him out so we could open up that roster spot for someone like Westrum or Sjostrom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn