playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0801suns0801.html

JJ going to Hawks for Diaw, 2 picks

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 1, 2005 12:00 AM

Asked by Suns brass whether he would rather be in Atlanta starring on a losing team or a cast member in Phoenix on a winning team, Joe Johnson picked the Hawks.

He will get his wish Tuesday in a sign-and-trade deal.

Trade-talk wheels began turning faster Thursday when Johnson told Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver that he did not want him to match a five-year, $69.6 million offer with Atlanta.

Johnson will be the second starter traded this summer from the Suns' conference finals team.

Phoenix will sign Johnson to Atlanta's terms and trade him to the Hawks for two-year guard Boris Diaw, two first-round picks (a protected Atlanta one and another the Hawks acquired) and a $4.9 million trade exception that can be used to offset salary gaps in a future deal.

The arrow points both ways in the blame game. Johnson was upset that the Suns would not give him $50 million over six years last summer and then offered $60 million over five years last month as a counter to Atlanta's maximum deal.

He had hoped Phoenix would open July with a huge offer, became upset when he was asked to choose between offers and rejected a Suns request to restructure the $69.6 million.

His Atlanta deal will include a $20 million payment this month.

Johnson told several people that being a third option on the Suns was "unacceptable." He reportedly resented teammates' star treatment and disliked Amaré Stoudemire after a March halftime incident in Miami.

After Dwyane Wade's 19-point half, Stoudemire barked at Johnson in front of the team: "Are you going to play any (expletive) defense?"

Stoudemire got seven shots in the next game and then sat out two with ankle inflammation. Johnson played his best ball after that but told friends he would never re-sign.

Many close to the situation are adamant that Sarver was not willing to pay for his mistake from last summer, when he ignored advice to give Johnson an extra $5 million over six years.

Those people said Sarver never intended to match the offer and was looking for an out, particularly after issuing internal promises. Johnson provided an out by saying he would rather run the point in Atlanta.

Johnson did tell ESPN.com that he would work hard and put everything behind him if Phoenix matched Atlanta's offer, but Sarver did not want to pay steeply for a player who did not want to be with him and possibly could disrupt team chemistry.

If Phoenix had matched Atlanta's offer, a cash call may have gone out because of $55 million going to starters, an over-budget team payroll and a projected $72 million payroll (with a $10 million tax hit) in 2006-2007.

A star player - not Johnson, because of a front-loaded deal - probably would have been traded next year.

Losing money is said to be not an option for Sarver, even if a title would boost the franchise's value.

The ordeal did not go to a management committee vote.

Phoenix might recover if Dallas waives Michael Finley, as expected, under the amnesty rule.

The Mavericks want to find a trade to keep Finley from a rival but may not find a taker for his contract, with three years and $51.8 million left.

Phoenix could sign him for a minimum deal because he will collect all of his Dallas money and would be lured by his former team, close friend Steve Nash and a possible starting job.

The Suns also could get help by using the trade exception during the season if a non-contender wants to dump a salary.

Phoenix has tried to acquire Diaw, 23, before and sees the 6-foot-8 French guard as the potential backup point to Nash. He defends and runs well but lacks a long-distance touch.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps it had been brought out before, but I never realized that JJ and Amare had any problems. I do recall that during the playoffs some commentator did mention JJ not passing to an open Amare. I don't know if that was just one instance, or if that could have been an ongoing problem. I am very sorry to see him leave, but it could be better for the long term chemistry of the team.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
in all honesty I would be looking forward to that too.

Many close to the situation are adamant that Sarver was not willing to pay for his mistake from last summer, when he ignored advice to give Johnson an extra $5 million over six years.

I saw this in a griffin email BC and JC told him to sign JJ, SARVER said no.

Phoenix has tried to acquire Diaw, 23, before and sees the 6-foot-8 French guard as the potential backup point to Nash. He defends and runs well but lacks a long-distance touch.

oh jeez he is french too?!

Johnson told several people that being a third option on the Suns was "unacceptable." He reportedly resented teammates' star treatment and disliked Amaré Stoudemire after a March halftime incident in Miami.

Don't worry boobie foam fingers will fix that.

geez this Sucks!

jed

Reaction score
Man, Coro just outed the entire situation. Great reporting -- and yet I wish I never would have heard any of it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0801suns0801.html

JJ going to Hawks for Diaw, 2 picks

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 1, 2005 12:00 AM

Asked by Suns brass whether he would rather be in Atlanta starring on a losing team or a cast member in Phoenix on a winning team, Joe Johnson picked the Hawks.

He will get his wish Tuesday in a sign-and-trade deal.

Trade-talk wheels began turning faster Thursday when Johnson told Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver that he did not want him to match a five-year, $69.6 million offer with Atlanta.

Johnson will be the second starter traded this summer from the Suns' conference finals team.

Phoenix will sign Johnson to Atlanta's terms and trade him to the Hawks for two-year guard Boris Diaw, two first-round picks (a protected Atlanta one and another the Hawks acquired) and a $4.9 million trade exception that can be used to offset salary gaps in a future deal.

The arrow points both ways in the blame game. Johnson was upset that the Suns would not give him $50 million over six years last summer and then offered $60 million over five years last month as a counter to Atlanta's maximum deal.

He had hoped Phoenix would open July with a huge offer, became upset when he was asked to choose between offers and rejected a Suns request to restructure the $69.6 million.

After Dwyane Wade's 19-point half, Stoudemire barked at Johnson in front of the team: "Are you going to play any (expletive) defense?"

Stoudemire got seven shots in the next game and then sat out two with ankle inflammation. Johnson played his best ball after that but told friends he would never re-sign.

Those people said Sarver never intended to match the offer and was looking for an out, particularly after issuing internal promises. Johnson provided an out by saying he would rather run the point in Atlanta.

Johnson did tell ESPN.com that he would work hard and put everything behind him if Phoenix matched Atlanta's offer, but Sarver did not want to pay steeply for a player who did not want to be with him and possibly could disrupt team chemistry.

If Phoenix had matched Atlanta's offer, a cash call may have gone out because of $55 million going to starters, an over-budget team payroll and a projected $72 million payroll (with a $10 million tax hit) in 2006-2007.

A star player - not Johnson, because of a front-loaded deal - probably would have been traded next year.

Losing money is said to be not an option for Sarver, even if a title would boost the franchise's value.

Phoenix might recover if Dallas waives Michael Finley, as expected, under the amnesty rule.

The Mavericks want to find a trade to keep Finley from a rival but may not find a taker for his contract, with three years and $51.8 million left.

Phoenix could sign him for a minimum deal because he will collect all of his Dallas money and would be lured by his former team, close friend Steve Nash and a possible starting job.

The Suns also could get help by using the trade exception during the season if a non-contender wants to dump a salary.

Wow...

I have always said Joe Johnson has a fragile psyche but are you serious???

He is going to be a HUGE bust in Atlanta. A guy who can't take criticism will never be "the man".

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Paul Coro said:

this tells me all i need to know. the hell with sarver

the phoenix suns will not be relevant in the future because of what i read in that article: under sarver, making a profit is more important that winning. i have heard this before: donald sterling.

last year was a fluke and amare is a golden god. he needs to get the hell out of dodge and get to LA. he'll be the new cornerstone and they could trade kobe for some good pieces. dr. buss, while not being a cuban-type, will spend for a title (as $10M/year to phil attests).

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
this tells me all i need to know. the hell with sarver

the phoenix suns will not be relevant in the future because of what i read in that article: under sarver, making a profit is more important that winning. i have heard this before: donald sterling.

last year was a fluke and amare is a golden god. he needs to get the hell out of dodge and get to LA. he'll be the new cornerstone and they could trade kobe for some good pieces. dr. buss, while not being a cuban-type, will spend for a title (as $10M/year to phil attests).

Are you reading the whole Amare/Joe Johnson rift or only the parts about Sarver?

Like Coro said, equal blame all around.

cly2tw

Reaction score
When you watch the game, you see JJ never passes to Amare. Period.

PS: jed, here is your source for the problem between JJ and Amare, sorrry.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
When you watch the game, you see JJ never passes to Amare. Period.

PS: jed, here is your source for the problem between JJ and Amare, sorrry.

Wow you were dead on. Joe Johnson should have went to the celtics, he could wear the color of jealousy there.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Johnson told several people that being a third option on the Suns was "unacceptable."

Oh bitch bitch bitch! Make sure to let the door hit you on the way out! :wave:

Enjoy rotting it ATL.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
and guess what diaw will not pass to amare either because he sucks and will be on the bench

jed

Reaction score
"PS: jed, here is your source for the problem between JJ and Amare, sorrry."

And?

Are you honestly going to float the idea that JJ tried not to pass to Amare? I don't care if the two were friends or not -- but I can say that they both acted like professionals on the floor.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
I agree Amare should leave. I hate Sarver he is about cash only.

Why should Sarver lose money?

Why?

Because we fans say he should? Because he is rich and he "deserves" it?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
and guess what diaw will not pass to amare either because he sucks and will be on the bench

This article just trashes the "Joe Johnson is perfect" and all your left with is stuff like this. Everyone on this team better be willing to pass to Amare, our Superstar, or get the f* out.

jed

Reaction score
"This article just trashes the "Joe Johnson is perfect" and all your left with is stuff like this. Everyone on this team better be willing to pass to Amare, our Superstar, or get the f* out."

I can't believe this argument is even being entertained. Guys, it just didn't happen that way. Period.

Now, if you want to make the argument that the rift would have hurt chemistry next year -- I'll bite. There's at least some sense in that.

Still, it doesn't warrant letting talent like JJ go -- especially for a deal that is almost humorous in its lopsidedness.

nzcloud

Reaction score
Coro confirmed the rift between JJ and Amare. You got to wonder why Amare pulled out from Nash Charity Game up north, which JJ was taking part.

There were a lot of things inside locker room that we were not privy of. In this case, let JJ go. Amare is our future, JJ is not. Forget about that combo that we were dreaming about. Find some good pieces to compliment Amare, and we are ready to go.

Go Suns!

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

Why?

ok, answer this have you ever ripped the bidwill's for being cheap?

my take is sports teams are a great way to make a small fortune the only problem is you start with a large one. Sarver has the oppourtunity to make millions elsewhere, when you own an NBA team it is more than a business it s more than an investment it is a source of civivc pride. Tell me when is the last time you posted hundereds of times about Intel's profits? or GE profits? It's different when your in the NBA if Sarver can't handle the public critcisim then he needs to sell the team.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jed said:
"This article just trashes the "Joe Johnson is perfect" and all your left with is stuff like this. Everyone on this team better be willing to pass to Amare, our Superstar, or get the f* out."

I can't believe this argument is even being entertained. Guys, it just didn't happen that way. Period.

Now, if you want to make the argument that the rift would have hurt chemistry next year -- I'll bite. There's at least some sense in that.

Still, it doesn't warrant letting talent like JJ go -- especially for a deal that is almost humorous in its lopsidedness.

The deal is bad :(

cly2tw

Reaction score
jed said:
"PS: jed, here is your source for the problem between JJ and Amare, sorrry."

And?

Are you honestly going to float the idea that JJ tried not to pass to Amare? I don't care if the two were friends or not -- but I can say that they both acted like professionals on the floor.

I said I got this from watching the games, since I so vividly recall my frustration watching JJ handling the ball. Everybody should see it if paying attention. I only lacked finding an explanation for why. And Coro offered it. That's all. Peace! :)

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Are you reading the whole Amare/Joe Johnson rift or only the parts about Sarver?

Like Coro said, equal blame all around.

yes i read the JJ stuff. it DOES NOT MATTER. people fight, then they get over it. things get smoothed out. a shouting match in the heat of a game should not result in a trade. players argue ALL THE TIME. jordan once punched steve kerr in the face. YOU GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON. not sarver. he wanted an out, he found it, and took advantage.

oh, and by the way, if the goal is to NOT spend the money to make a profit, how does having a trade exception help? that would mean spending more money...

its alright, he'll learn soon enough when all the bandwagon fans jump off and he's got even less of a revenue stream. unfortunately, it might not make a difference.

jed

Reaction score
"I said I got this from watching the games, since I so vividly recall my frustration watching JJ handling the ball. Everybody should see it if paying attention. I only lacked finding an explanation for why. And Coro offered it. That's all. Peace!"

So you're making the case that only you and a few others, out of all the Suns fans, analysts, and national media covering the playoffs, noticed this?

C'mon, man. It just wasn't there. I honestly wish it was, because I could use some decent excuses for this move.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

Why?

He shouldn't have to, but it wouldn't be uncommon in the NBA. Especially not of winning teams.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
exactly it has nothing to do with his personal income.

It's the name of the game I could care less if he makes 20 billion from his banks, I do care however, if he screws up the Suns chances at a title.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

Why?

That argument is the last refuge of a Clipper fan.

Looks like it's quickly becoming ours.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard