Copa America

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Might as well start the thread. If we make it to the Gold Cup finals this team will be exhausted playing Argentina.

Any news on the roster?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
No news on the US roster yet, expect it sometime this evening.

In the meantime here is a great website for the Copa America...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América_2007

We are in Group C here is the schedule for our group...

June 28, 2007
Paraguay v Colombia
Argentina v United States

July 2, 2007
United States v Paraguay
Argentina v Colombia

July 5, 2007
United States v Colombia
Argentina v Paraguay

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I predict it right now...we're going to get slaughtered in this tournament. Completely. We showed some good play against China, but from all I've heard, we've sucked at the Gold Cup and only advanced because we're playing low-level teams. I'm scared of the final against Mexico, and they're even playing like crap. We're hearing about how Bradley must be playing favorites. Ugh. I'm just not horribly optimistic at the moment, you know?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
U.S. Men's National Team
2007 Copa America Roster By Position
Goalkeepers (2) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach)
Defenders (8) – Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)
Midfielders (8) – Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven), Ben Olsen (D.C.United)
Forwards (4) – Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Herculez Gomez (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)

So no Donovan, no Onyewu, no Bocanegra, no Beasley and no Dempsey. Then we take garbage like Olsen. WTF??? We are gonna get our butts handed to us.

Who the heck is Drew Moor?

I like bringing in young guys like Davies, Wynne, Nguyen, Pearce, Kljestan and Mapp but otherwise that roster makes me ill.

Stout

Reaction score
U.S. Men's National Team
2007 Copa America Roster By Position
Goalkeepers (2) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach)
Defenders (8) – Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)
Midfielders (8) – Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven), Ben Olsen (D.C.United)
Forwards (4) – Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Herculez Gomez (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)

So no Donovan, no Onyewu, no Bocanegra, no Beasley and no Dempsey. Then we take garbage like Olsen. WTF??? We are gonna get our butts handed to us.

Who the heck is Drew Moor?

I like bringing in young guys like Davies, Wynne, Nguyen, Pearce, Kljestan and Mapp but otherwise that roster makes me ill.

And I still wonder WHY IN THE HELL BRADLEY IS OUR MANAGER!!! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and he's doing such a bang-up job in the Gold Cup. We look sooo stellar beating the likes of Canada and Panama and such...not!

OP
OP
C

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We wont score one goal wiht our forwards. Mark it down. Johnson is the best on the roster nbut since he is so fast referees call him offsides even when 8 out of 10 times he wasnt he is just so darn fast he is so far down field by tjhe time the ball reaches him the ref assumes he must have been offsides.

Twellman is a joke. Has great skills to get shots but cant do a damn thing with them.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well I do feel a little better about our Copa Roster now with what we saw of Clark and Feilhaber yesterday. I think our biggest question mark is at right back--we have Pearce and Bornstein at leftback, Demerit, Conrad, Califf and Boswell at Centerback but only Wynne and Moor at right back with 0 Int'l experience. Wynne looked good in the last U20 WC, I've never noticed how Moor plays in the few MLS games I've watched. I think Boswell and Califf can play right back too but they play more in the center with their clubs I think.

My guess for the line-up, a straight up 4-4-2

GK Keller and Guzan (they will split starts)
RB Wynne
CB Demerit
CB Conrad
LB Bornstein (I want to see Pearce here personally but Bradley won't)
LM Mapp
CM Feilhaber
CM Clark
RM Kljestan
F Johnson
F Twellman

I don't expect this to be the lineup in every game, Olsen will get at least one start and I'm hoping Nguyen and Davies get a start as well.

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if these games will be on Univision? That'd be awesome.

I believe they are all on Telefutura. I know for sure that last night's games were on TF, and the US game tomorrow is on TF.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I hear all games will be broadcast on Univision.com if you are like me and don't have Telefutura, Univision or GolTV.

Peru beat Uruguay 3-0 last night and Venezuela and Bolivia tied 2-2.

Stout

Reaction score
Borgetti is out of the Copa America, and Mexico is apparently going crazy after losing in the Gold Cup Final. I hope Borgetti is okay, but other than that, a big 'ole :D

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Borgetti is out of the Copa America, and Mexico is apparently going crazy after losing in the Gold Cup Final. I hope Borgetti is okay, but other than that, a big 'ole :D

Mexico plays Brazil tonight, probably the voices calling for Hugo Sanchez' head will be out in full force after the game...unless he by some miracle pulls an upset. Copa America will be the nail in his coffin.

Stout

Reaction score
Mexico plays Brazil tonight, probably the voices calling for Hugo Sanchez' head will be out in full force after the game...unless he by some miracle pulls an upset. Copa America will be the nail in his coffin.

Oh, there is NO WAY Mexico will beat Brazil. This one's going to be a massacre, at least 3-0. If Mexico could only put up one goal in the 1st half against us, the way we're playing, AND they're missing Borgetti, they're going to get creamed by Brazil.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Oh, there is NO WAY Mexico will beat Brazil. This one's going to be a massacre, at least 3-0. If Mexico could only put up one goal in the 1st half against us, the way we're playing, AND they're missing Borgetti, they're going to get creamed by Brazil.

I agree with you but mircales do happen sometimes...I don't want this to be that time but you can never absolutely 100% count anyone out.

BTW The Univision web broadcast works really well, good clear picture although its rather small to fit the ads in. Mexico V Brazil is on after Chile and Ecuador.(currently Ecuador 2 Chile 1 at halftime) I'll be able to watch the US last 2 matches but will miss the Argentina match because of work.

Here is the website....
http://www.univision.com/contentroo...html/copa_america/NOMETA_partidosEnVivo.jhtml

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
1-0 Mexico 24th minute.

Chile came back and won 3-2 in the first game.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow. 2-0 Mexico at half and it isn't a mirage, they are outplaying Brazil and creating the best chances. Brazil isn't the same team without Kaka and Ronaldinho...not to mention Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos (who I think both are retired from int'l soccer).

We'll see if Mexico folds in the second half and if Brazil steps it up.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
2-0 Mexico, thats the final and they had a golden chance to make it 3-0 right before the final whistle and the Mexican player misses an open net.

Wow.

Ochoa (Mex GK), Marquez, Castillo and Morales all played awesome.

Brazil had some good chances in the second half but didn't look anything like they normally do.

Stout

Reaction score
Wow!!! So I guess now is the perfect time to mention my account was hacked earlier...did someone post something on this thread under my name? :D

I only saw the last 25 minutes. Mexico lucked out a lot and should have been down 3-2, but hey, better lucky than not.

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
US beats Mexico, Mexico beats Brazil, Mexico takes Argentina to extra time in World Cup =
Argentina = USA > Brazil

:D

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
It's weird. Mexico always gives Brazil fits, for some reason.

Brazil played much better in the second half, but they still need to improve quite a bit if they want to beat Argentina, or even make it to the semifinals. Right now, this team has a bunch of holes in it. The defense isn't looking that good without Lucio. Gilberto and Maicon just aren't that good in my opinion, but it's not like there are much better options out there. Vagner Love hasn't played well for the National Team, but Dunga has been giving him plenty of opportunities. And of course, with Ronaldinho and especially Kaká out, this team is having problems when it comes to creativity.

I expect them to look better against Chile and especially against Ecuador. Hopefully the next two games will be enough for Dunga to find the best possible starting 11 for the quarterfinals (if they make it that far).

By the way, it's the first time I post in the World Sports forum, but I've been reading the soccer threads here for a while. For some reason I'm rooting for US a little bit. Maybe it's because I want soccer to be more popular in the United States... I don't know.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Welcome PetryJr.

I'm not expecting a lot from the US tonight, I hope they don't bunker down, they need to attack the Argentinians all game long. Nobody expects them to get a result anyway, why not take the chance we can catch them unprepared for the US. I think a lot of people expect us to bunker down, play sort of like Guatemala does against us, 10 players behind the ball and 1 real attacking player. I just have a feeling it won't be like that. Argentina is the strongest team in the group why not go down fighting? We can get points in the next couple of games if we play as well as we are capable and that will get us out of the group stage.

Stout

Reaction score
Welcome PetryJr.

I'm not expecting a lot from the US tonight, I hope they don't bunker down, they need to attack the Argentinians all game long. Nobody expects them to get a result anyway, why not take the chance we can catch them unprepared for the US. I think a lot of people expect us to bunker down, play sort of like Guatemala does against us, 10 players behind the ball and 1 real attacking player. I just have a feeling it won't be like that. Argentina is the strongest team in the group why not go down fighting? We can get points in the next couple of games if we play as well as we are capable and that will get us out of the group stage.

Sadly, I think we will bunker down. We've long had the mentality that, to beat the great teams, we have to focus on defense first. That mentality, which I fear will carry over from Arena to Bradley, will net more losses than wins or draws. I think we need to all-out-blitz attack Argentina to take this game. I doubt we can take it, because of our roster, but you never know. I think that's the only way our young kids stay in this thing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn