Combine Talk

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
LJ should take every opportunity to show that he wants to be in the NFL. Anything he can do to show his skills to different teams will enhance his chance to be drafted.

Another case in point is Eric Crouch, a Heisman Winner QB who was drafted by the Rams in the 3rd round. Martz wanted to take advantage of the guy's ability and switch him to WR. Crouch fought the move and, combined with multiple injuries, washed out---even later tried S. He bounced around and disappeared.

Crouch was an AWFUL QB though, he was a runner who just happened to play QB, he doesn't compare to Jackson who can actually throw the ball.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Crouch was an AWFUL QB though, he was a runner who just happened to play QB, he doesn't compare to Jackson who can actually throw the ball.

Both were asked to show what they were capable of doing at a position other than QB. I wasn't comparing Eric Crouch to Lamar Jackson as college QBs/passers.

If Lamar Jackson (or any other player) wants to play in the NFL they would be advised to do what is required at the combine in order to have their name called on draft day.

If LJ refuses to audition for a job in the manner that a whole bunch of possible employers are asking him to do---he'll end up playing semi-pro ball or in the Canadian Football league.

He needs to follow the example of Kordell Stewart.

Nothing to do whatsoever at how he compares to Eric Crouch as a college QB.

Do you want to keep the thread on track with the Combine or do you want to continue this sidetrack?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Both were asked to show what they were capable of doing at a position other than QB. I wasn't comparing Eric Crouch to Lamar Jackson as college QBs/passers.

If Lamar Jackson (or any other player) wants to play in the NFL they would be advised to do what is required at the combine in order to have their name called on draft day.

If LJ refuses to audition for a job in the manner that a whole bunch of possible employers are asking him to do---he'll end up playing semi-pro ball or in the Canadian Football league.

Do you want to keep the thread on track with the Combine or do you want to continue this sidetrack?

Nonsense.If Lamar Jackson refuses to work out as a WR do you really think every team will just ignore his talent as a QB and refuse to draft him? Even the damned Browns aren`t that stupid.Mark my words there will be some team who will draft Lamar Jackson as a QB in Round 1.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nonsense.If Lamar Jackson refuses to work out as a WR do you really think every team will just ignore his talent as a QB and refuse to draft him? Even the damned Browns aren`t that stupid.Mark my words there will be some team who will draft Lamar Jackson as a QB in Round 1.
Cause he deserve to be drafted as a qb in the first round in the same way josh allen is considered a top5 pick
The guy is a dual threat qb and he is competitive and willing to learn cause he is a humble dude

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very racist and disrespectful asking lamar jackson doing wr drill
He proved in 3 seasons he is a legit qb with unique skillset
He showed it with a weak supporting cast
Nothing racist when they asked Tim Tebow???????

Eric Crouch??????

et al ????

Personnel people are free to request. He is free to refuse. Nothing racist in the slightest. It is about skill set.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He "needs" to be true to himself and things will work out.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
of course any and every player should do everything they can to showcase their talents. We all know if there was time the NFL teams would have guards doing LB drills and RB's trying safety drills and DE's throwing passes... because every bit of information that can be gathered helps...and if a player has skills in another area he should want to display those skills..

hell,... we just had a Super Bowl in which we witnessed not one but TWO passes to quarterbacks...
one got to it and caught it and his team won,... the other QB didnt pull it in and his team lost...right, not all on that play of course... but any skill a player adds gives his team an advantage.
\ If I were Lamar Jackson I would be putting on a effin clinic at the combine... passing, running, catching... coverage... dude is an elite level athlete and he should make sure there is zero doubt of that

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I think that is a ridiculous take. Jackson is a QB and accomplished a lot as a passer in college. To ask him to change to run drills at a position he has never played is insulting.

Stewart was taken at the end of the second round in what was really a different era. Vick wasn't asked to take drills at WR, why? He was not as advanced as a passer as Jackson.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Absolutely right.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
of course any and every player should do everything they can to showcase their talents. We all know if there was time the NFL teams would have guards doing LB drills and RB's trying safety drills and DE's throwing passes... because every bit of information that can be gathered helps...and if a player has skills in another area he should want to display those skills..

hell,... we just had a Super Bowl in which we witnessed not one but TWO passes to quarterbacks...
one got to it and caught it and his team won,... the other QB didnt pull it in and his team lost...right, not all on that play of course... but any skill a player adds gives his team an advantage.
\ If I were Lamar Jackson I would be putting on a effin clinic at the combine... passing, running, catching... coverage... dude is an elite level athlete and he should make sure there is zero doubt of that

Agree---and the point I was attempting to make in regards to Lamar Jackson.

I am the first to speak out when I think there is the hint of racism involved (check some of my posts on other threads). There was indeed a time when black athletes were not even considered for the QB position. Teams have learned their lesson that it is athletic talent at each position that counts.

If there was racism involved in the case of Lamar Jackson it would be NOT asking him to show his stuff. I can see OC's looking at his skill set and how he could fit as a 'Slash' player---doing it all and helping a team win.

Last edited:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Read the Kordell Stewart interview that I posted and how he reponded when asked to work out at WR.

All the players are applying for a job. They need to assure a team that they will do what the HC asks them to do---not what they think they deserve or what a fan thinks the player deserves.

Even SW mentioned that there is 'no entitlement' for anyone on the roster---got to work and earn your spot on the team.

I don't know how Lamar Jackson is going to respond to the request to work out at WR. If I had the chance I would tell him to do whatever it takes to get on film as a player (not just a QB---but a team player) and show how valuable he can be to the team that is thinking about drafting him.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Barkley is the best player in this draft. Everything about him is impressive--measurable & production. If I was Cleveland I'd select him #1 overall and then take a QB at #4.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a team likes L J as a QB they will draft himas a QB. If some team likens him to another skill position he will be drafted at that position. Very sad when these discussions become race based.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Why do you think multiple teams are asking him to work out at WR?

(1) You could say they are racist.

(2) You could also say that they see some athletic ability that they want to tap into but are not certain that it is strictly at QB.

I think it is (2). You are probably right that some team will draft him at #1. But a refusal to do what is asked of him at a job interview will also lower his grade for other teams. In the interview before 32 teams, he needs to convince as many as possible that he is a player for them. That will maximize where he goes in the draft.

Would you hire someone who told you "NO, not going to do what you me want to do . . . I'll make the decision of what my job title and duties are."

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Barkley is the best player in this draft. Everything about him is impressive--measurable & production. If I was Cleveland I'd select him #1 overall and then take a QB at #4.

Well, we agree on that. Barkley is that rare talent and athlete that shines above the rest. (PS--He does it all, RB, receiver, pass blocker, returns---whatever it takes to win)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agree---and the point I was attempting to make in regards to Lamar Jackson.

I am the first to speak out when I think their is the hint of racism involved (check some of my posts on other threads). There was indeed a time when black athletes were not even considered for the QB position. Teams have learned their lesson that it is athletic talent at each position that counts.

If there was racism involved in the case of Lamar Jackson it would be NOT asking him to show his stuff. I can see OC's looking at his skill set and how he could fit as a 'Slash' player---doing it all and helping a team win.

right. there was a QB a few years back... Matt Jones was it? who was asked to be a TE because he was a freakish athlete but not a stellar QB.. here it is

college stats;
55.2% 5857yds 7.8 53TD 30INT 135.6rate

he ended up being drafted #21 overall as a WR by jacksonville...at 6'6" he ran a 4.3 40 at the combine.... he was semi productive...a 500yd a season guy...basically played out his rookie deal and retired... but he had some legal issues too.

the difference is, Lamar is a much better QB than Matt Jones ever was... Jackson has shown steady improvement as a QB each year in college and IMO that will continue into the pros

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
right. there was a QB a few years back... Matt Jones was it? who was asked to be a TE because he was a freakish athlete but not a stellar QB.. here it is

college stats;
55.2% 5857yds 7.8 53TD 30INT 135.6rate

he ended up being drafted #21 overall as a WR by jacksonville...at 6'6" he ran a 4.3 40 at the combine.... he was semi productive...a 500yd a season guy...basically played out his rookie deal and retired... but he had some legal issues too.

the difference is, Lamar is a much better QB than Matt Jones ever was... Jackson has shown steady improvement as a QB each year in college and IMO that will continue into the pros

Yes, I recall the Matt Jones experiment.

A team with an aging QB might want to bring in someone like LJ and groom him for the QB position---in the meantime, work him into the roster as a WR while he learns the system, acts as the backup QB.

The big knock against LJ is his frail body and his accuracy---might be able to work on both with him as a backup QB and earning his roster spot playing WR.

Cards brought in Tom Tupa who played both QB and was also a kicker---the QB role didn't work at the NFL level but he turned into a decent punter and played in the league for years.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know and can identify who the throwing QBs are in the RB drills?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The main reason I wouldn't advise Lamar to workout at WR is because of the added stress and fatigue. Last year, there were so many past players commenting on Jabril Peppers working out at multiple positions. They were very complimentary because of how exhausting it is to learn a whole new set of drills. Lamar wants to be an NFL QB and all of his attention should be focused on nailing those drills and not learning how to run routes. Not sure what teams are thinking that they will learn about him at WR anyways. I doubt he has ever practiced running routes or catching passes. I think there was plenty of tape out there showing his speed and athleticism.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a great question. I wasn't sure if they were draft eligible QBs or if they were just "some body"
Just spotted Nick Shimonek on the jersey and Allen (might be Austin Allen Arkansas) on another. Some times they are asked to stick around and throw with the QBs

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just spotted Nick Shimonek on the jersey and Allen (might be Austin Allen Arkansas) on another. Some times they are asked to stick around and throw with the QBs

Looked again it appears Austin Allen, Danny Ettling and Nic Shimonek, might be more but I saw those 3 for sure.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yes, I recall the Matt Jones experiment.

A team with an aging QB might want to bring in someone like LJ and groom him for the QB position---in the meantime, work him into the roster as a WR while he learns the system, acts as the backup QB.

The big knock against LJ is his frail body and his accuracy---might be able to work on both with him as a backup QB and earning his roster spot playing WR.

Cards brought in Tom Tupa who played both QB and was also a kicker---the QB role didn't work at the NFL level but he turned into a decent punter and played in the league for years.

this is a myth. there is no evidence to suggest Jackson is frail. He is thin, but his weight would indicate that he is thin due to an extremely low body fat.

Sam Darnold 6'3 1/2" 221 lbs
Lamar Jackson 6'2 1/4 216
Josh Rosen 6'4" 226lbs

Andy Dalton 6'2" 215 lbs at combine.

The only reason Jackson "looks" smaller is because the kid is solid, muscle weighs more than fat....
nobody is knocking Darnold for his height/weight ratio and Andy Dalton has played QB in the NFL without getting killed.

Lamar Jacksons height/weight ratio is right in their with other top QB's... the only way his size really comes into issue is if a team plans to use him like Cam Newton was used in the early years... thats a mistake. if an nfl team drafts him as a QB they need to treat him like a QB...keep him in the pocket, passing the ball...and using his mobility to escape pressure so he has more time to throw...much like

Russell Wilson 5'11" 204 lbs

or

Jake Plummer 6'2" 195lbs