Combine Talk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Joe Montana was lanky too and his frame was often used in comparison while Plummer was in the draft. I do not think Jackson is too small unless he intends to run the ball with the same zeal he did in college which he does not have to... just the thought of him taking off in a limited bases is enough to drive a defense crazy and those few times he does would be a game changer in my opinion

I agree. IMO, in the nfl the target for Jackson is to have him scramble, but only run when he is headed out of bounds...and use his athletic ability to make that run out of bounds good for 5 yards... but to expose him to 240 lb LBers who have a chance to line up on him is foolish...I just cant see any sane staff thinking the kid should be used on options and QB draws except on rare occasions....maybe if he was drafted in the fifth to be the third string QB, but not as a starter...you want his athleticism to extend his career not end it

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Question about the high percentage of fumbles by Darnold. The NFL.com Draft Analysis included these comments as 'Weakness':

"Elongated release is impossible to miss. Ball drops to his waist with forearm pointed towards the ground, pre-delivery. Windup gives defenders early clue to break on the throw. Muscle memory may not allow for release correction. Turnover total is alarming. Finished 2017 with 13 interceptions and nine lost fumbles. Has 20 interceptions over last 20 games."

The portal page for the NFL.com Draft Tracker:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position

Lots of different ways to view the players. Can also check the pre-draft evaluations for past years and determine their relative accuracy vs. projection.

For example, can look at the QB ratings for the 2017 class and compare to this class. Darnold is rated at 7.1; Trubinsky (#2 pick last year) rated at 6.3

The 2017 QB class: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Chase Goodbread
@ChaseGoodbread

Notre Dame OG Quenton Nelson effectively selling the importance of guard play: "You have guys dominating the NFL right now in Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins, Fletcher Cox, that have been working on interior guys. You need guys to stop them. I'm one of those guys." #NFLCombine2018
Nelson has been a quote machine for "Badass interior lineman" hasnt he? The kid doesnt hesitate to let anyone know he sees himself as the very best.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We need to seriously look at this guy! I believe he’s smart and nasty. Would be a fun player to watch during the game. Luv how he mentions the current weakness of most teams and how they need him. Wow

But if one of those QBs are a franchise guy... he is not worth the pick over that crucial position

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I’m on the side it just doesn’t take much to turn and hand the ball to a RB. Pound the rock!

You have to throw the ball once you get in the playoffs or you are one and done in this league because the defenses as a whole get too tough... you have to be able to answer when they stack the box on you

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I have been talking this guy up since January and it now appears that he will be climbing the charts. He was originally projected to go in round 4/5.

- As I tweeted out earlier, Penn State receiver DaeSean Hamilton will not work out during the combine but will take part in the school's pro day on March 20. Hamilton was terrific during Shrine Game practices then received a late invite to the Senior Bowl and was equally effective in Mobile. There's a belief here at the combine that Hamilton could climb into the second day of the draft.