Combine Talk

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Well I hate to break it to you, but all QB's have receivers who drop balls. Both Mayfield and Rosen had receivers that dropped near 10% of their targets as well, but they still completed over 60% of their passes. Out of all the QB's to come out of Petrino's system...Lamar has the worst completion %. I don't 'hate' Jackson by any stretch...I think he has a great arm and amazing athleticism, but his mechanics and footwork are awful, and he's definitely the most raw out of the top 6 QB's coming out. He has the lowest floor, but probably the highest ceiling, which means he's by far the riskiest QB prospect.

As a person who has Lamar Jackson at the top of his personal draft board, I can get behind this.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
NFL Research
@NFLResearch

7 wide receivers measured 6'4" or taller at the 2018 Combine, the most such WRs in a single year since at least 2003. The 2018 WR group has an average height of 6'1 1/8" - the tallest group of WRs at the Combine since at least 2003.

Yup.

I keep reading the WR group is "not deep", unless all these big bodied receivers are Frankestien's monsters, then there is value there.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Can we just use this thread to talk about stuff coming out of the combine? Measurables, Rumors, etc?

Lamar Jackson
Height: 6-2 2/8
Weight: 216
Hand 9 4/8
Arm: 33 1/8
Wingspan: 77 5/8

folks saying Lamar Jackson is too skinny for the nfl..

Jake Plummer
Height: 6'2 2/8"
Weight: 195
Hand: 9.25"
Arm: 33"

College stats:
55.4 8626 7.8 64TD's 34INT's 133.8

dude never had a serious injury in the NFL....of course...Jake was a scrambler, not a runner....worth noting he got much better after moving to denver and being forced to be more of a pocket passer... my guess is, whoever selects Lamar Jackson will make him a scrambler instead of a runner... use his skills to benefit him as an actual QB rather than risking his health using him as a runningback

Lamar looks thinner than Jake...worth noting that at the combine Jake had a BMI of just over 25%... pretty sure Lamar is closer to 10%

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
...worth noting he got much better after moving to denver and being forced to be more of a pocket passer...

This is a self-admitted sore spot for me.

1. He didn't get better, and the stats show that. He won as many playoff games with the Broncos as he did with the Cardinals.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jakeplummer/2502499/careerstats

2. The Broncos had to bootleg him out a majority of the time on their offense.

I will never forget Jake saying that it was the team around him and not him personally, that was the problem in AZ. Yet, Jake put the Cardinals in poor situation after poor situation in a lot of games. Yeah, he came back in a bunch of those games, but again, he is the one putting the team in those positions.

So, to add a random comment that has nothing to do with your point, that is complete off topic, out of sheer personal bitterness, there you go. LOL

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score

1. He didn't get better, and never won a playoff

I will never forget Jake saying that it was the team around him and not him personally, that was the problem in AZ. Yet, Jake put the Cardinals in poor situation after poor situation in a lot of games. Yeah, he came back in a bunch of those games, but again, he is the one putting the team in those positions.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And he was kinda right he played on some awful teams in Arizona. As soon as he went to Denver four straight winning seasons, three straight playoff appearances and a trip to the AFC Championship Game. Never was an elite championship level QB but he was playoff caliber provided he had a decent team around him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

1. He didn't get better, and the stats show that. He won as many playoff games with the Broncos as he did with the Cardinals.

So, to add a random comment that has nothing to do with your point, that is complete off topic, out of sheer personal bitterness, there you go. LOL

honestly you are right.. I remember my own "eyeball test" watching Jake and he looked much better, but other than that first season in denver he basically produced the same there as he did with the redbirds. But the kid had the toughest job in the nfl... Brian Greise never got a fair shot in Denver, and he was a statue... due to his mobility Jake was expected to be the heir apparent to Elway...lol...is it any wonder he retired and went full on pothead?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CollegeFootball 24/7
@NFLDraft

Derrius Guice on running between the tackles: "In my opinion, there's no one better than me." Compares himself to "Beastmode, the Skittles man."

I actually love this comparison. Very similar size and running styles. My biggest worry with him is health. Pretty incredible how durable Lynch was with physicality he played with.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
folks saying Lamar Jackson is too skinny for the nfl..

Jake Plummer
Height: 6'2 2/8"
Weight: 195
Hand: 9.25"
Arm: 33"

College stats:
55.4 8626 7.8 64TD's 34INT's 133.8

dude never had a serious injury in the NFL....of course...Jake was a scrambler, not a runner....worth noting he got much better after moving to denver and being forced to be more of a pocket passer... my guess is, whoever selects Lamar Jackson will make him a scrambler instead of a runner... use his skills to benefit him as an actual QB rather than risking his health using him as a runningback

Lamar looks thinner than Jake...worth noting that at the combine Jake had a BMI of just over 25%... pretty sure Lamar is closer to 10%

Joe Montana was lanky too and his frame was often used in comparison while Plummer was in the draft. I do not think Jackson is too small unless he intends to run the ball with the same zeal he did in college which he does not have to... just the thought of him taking off in a limited bases is enough to drive a defense crazy and those few times he does would be a game changer in my opinion

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well I hate to break it to you, but all QB's have receivers who drop balls. Both Mayfield and Rosen had receivers that dropped near 10% of their targets as well, but they still completed over 60% of their passes. Out of all the QB's to come out of Petrino's system...Lamar has the worst completion %. I don't 'hate' Jackson by any stretch...I think he has a great arm and amazing athleticism, but his mechanics and footwork are awful, and he's definitely the most raw out of the top 6 QB's coming out. He has the lowest floor, but probably the highest ceiling, which means he's by far the riskiest QB prospect.
All receivers drop balls is a lame argument. When you consider that lamar’s Receivers had a 3% greater drop rate than Rosen and mayfield that’s significant. Add that 3% back to his (I believe) 59% completion rate to get them all even on drops and - voila- Lamar is at a 62% completion rate!