Colorado series thread

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baseball is back! I know some people did not like the season thread so I thought I would go with series threads instead. RJ goes against Estes on Tuesday afternoon. I have to work and won't be able to get to watch the game until around the 7th so I'll be checking in frequently to see how the game is going.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be there tomorrow for Opening Day. My first opening day ever, so I am pretty excited.

Went to the game on Saturday, but left early to catch the NCAAs. Sexson's HR was pretty nice, but Dessens looked terrible after the 3rd. BB really left him blowing in the wind in the 4th giving up 3 hits and 4 BBs.

Let's try and get this board going! I love the Cardinals forum, but this Dbacks one has been sickly and I dont really care for all the trolls over at the official D-Backs forum.

Play ball!

A-Bomb

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I think the first two series will show how this team will perform for the season. If RJ and Webb have bad outings and the players don't hit, it may be an omen that the season will be long and painful. If Webb, RJ and one other pitcher do well we may have a good year.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
I will be there tomorrow for Opening Day. My first opening day ever, so I am pretty excited.

Went to the game on Saturday, but left early to catch the NCAAs. Sexson's HR was pretty nice, but Dessens looked terrible after the 3rd. BB really left him blowing in the wind in the 4th giving up 3 hits and 4 BBs.

Let's try and get this board going! I love the Cardinals forum, but this Dbacks one has been sickly and I dont really care for all the trolls over at the official D-Backs forum.

Play ball!

A-Bomb

I am taking my family. We have made every opening day since they started. I have taken the day off of work and we go down and make a day of it..

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why oh why can't the dbacks play today?? Tomorrow opens up the Wild, Wild NL West. Most experts are suggesting any one of the 5 teams in this division could win it. Let's take care of the Rockies. Just win the series.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Win the series....HECK..I am just plain greedy.....I want to win ALL the games.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
minercon said:
Win the series....HECK..I am just plain greedy.....I want to win ALL the games.

So do I but win the series first, then go for the sweep. Sweep is the icing on the cake IMO. Win every series (impossible) and nothing but good things will happen

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
So do I but win the series first, then go for the sweep. Sweep is the icing on the cake IMO. Win every series (impossible) and nothing but good things will happen

I agree. 2/3 equates to a very good record and walking away with the NL West. I think < 90 wins will take the division.

Here are the probables for the series.

Estes v Johnson
Jennings v Webb
Kennedy v Dessens

On Saturday, I noticed that Jackie Robinson's retired #42 jersey is no longer on the outfield wall. Not sure what that is about, maybe there is another ceremony coming up where they will commemorate it differently.

Also, I noticed some signage down the first base concourse for KFC. I didn't get a chance to wander down there, but I will be very happy if that is now a dining option! ;)

Great job getting this thread going guys.

A-Bomb

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are Wednesday's and Thursday's games sold-out? For some reason I have my cookies set so I can't process ticket transactions online.....

I predict that they'll win this series 2-1....

First hit will be supplied by Alomar....

First home-run by Sexson.....

Let's have some more predictions......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's hope they get off to a better start than they did last year. I would be very happy if the Diamondbacks could win each series.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Less than 6 hours to the first pitch. Here is a preview of the series.

Colorado at Arizona
VENUE: Bank One Ballpark

GAME: Colorado Rockies (74-88) at Arizona Diamondbacks (84-78).

TIME: Tuesday, 6:05 p.m. EDT.

The Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies hope to produce more runs this season.

They get their first chance when the two teams meet at Bank One Ballpark for a three-game series to open the season.

Arizona manager Bob Brenly has made the offense a priority for the Diamondbacks this year.

"Score more runs," he said. "That was our downfall last year. Our pitching was really good. Our defense was good enough. But we just didn't score enough runs."

The Diamondbacks - who managed just 717 runs last year, 10th in the National League - added power-hitting Richie Sexson to the lineup and veteran second baseman Roberto Alomar. They expect to contend in an NL West that could be one of the weakest divisions in baseball.

"That's why we brought in Richie Sexson and Robby Alomar to give our offense a little bit more of a potent look," Brenly said.

Luis Gonzalez, who led the team in home runs, RBIs, and runs last season, loves the prospect of batting ahead of the power-hitting Sexson in the No. 3 spot. The first baseman, who came from Milwaukee, has flourished in his games at Arizona, hitting .378 with six home runs in 45 at-bats.

"Obviously when you have a big man like that behind you, you're going to get better pitches to see," Gonzalez said. "We feel we've got a capable bunch of guys to go out there and make a run at it."

Unlike last year's punchless squad, this team is designed to score runs, and protect any lead with a strong bullpen.

Closer Matt Mantei was bothered by torn fingernail problems throughout the spring but was confident he would get the situation resolved by the start of regular season.

"We think that's our strength," Brenly said. "Even with the health issues that we've had through spring training, as we're getting close to opening day guys are showing that we're ready to go. The seven guys that we have in the bullpen to start the season we think match up with anybody's bullpen."

The questions this season lie in the Diamondbacks' rotation.

With the loss of Curt Schilling to Boston, Randy Johnson alone anchors the starters. The five-time Cy Young Award winner struggled with injuries last year. The 40-year-old is eager to improve on last season's 6-8 record.

Colorado finished 74-88 last season, just a one-win improvement over the mark they posted the two previous years. General manager Dan O'Dowd still had to dismantle the roster because of payroll concerns and declining gate revenue.

"I'd like to see us find a way to put more people in the seats, to re-establish that aura downtown," manager Clint Hurdle said. "I'd like to see Denver get excited again over Rockies baseball."

One way to do that is to bolster the lineup with big hitters.

Vinny Castilla, who hit at least 30 homers in five straight seasons for Colorado, is back after a four-year absence. He joins Todd Helton, Preston Wilson and Jeromy Burnitz - all capable of hitting 30-plus homers this season.

Helton had 33 homers and 117 RBIs, and with an average of .358 he nearly overtook St. Louis' Albert Pujols for the NL batting title. Wilson led the team with 36 homers and the league with 141 in RBIs. He was slowed this spring by a sore left knee, which could curtail his playing time.

Burnitz, who signed a free-agent contract with Colorado in December, hit a combined 31 homers with the New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers last year. Castilla had 22 homers and 76 RBIs for Atlanta last season.

Colorado may benefit from the confines of hitter-friendly Coors Field, but it will have to figure out a way to improve on a 25-56 record on the road last year - the worst in franchise history.

Asked his expectations of this year's team, Helton said, "Make the playoffs, plain and simple. It's do-able."

2003 STANDINGS: Rockies - 4th place, 26½ NL West. Diamondbacks - 3rd place, 16½ GB, NL West. ROCKIES PROBABLE STARTER: Shawn Estes (8-11, 5.73 ERA). For the Chicago Cubs last season, Estes made 28 starts and pitched 152.1 innings, allowing 93 earned runs. The left-hander is just 2-8 with a 5.55 ERA in 12 career starts against Arizona.

DIAMONDBACKS PROBABLE STARTER: Johnson (6-8, 4.26 ERA). Johnson will be making his 11th opening day career start. The left-hander is 13-4 with a 2.30 ERA and two shutouts against the Rockies in his career.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm ready. Play ball!

My expectations are low (73 wins), so any decent success will be a bonus.

We have no speed and shaky starting pitching.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
abomb said:
I agree. 2/3 equates to a very good record and walking away with the NL West. I think < 90 wins will take the division.

Here are the probables for the series.

Estes v Johnson
Jennings v Webb
Kennedy v Dessens

On Saturday, I noticed that Jackie Robinson's retired #42 jersey is no longer on the outfield wall. Not sure what that is about, maybe there is another ceremony coming up where they will commemorate it differently.

Also, I noticed some signage down the first base concourse for KFC. I didn't get a chance to wander down there, but I will be very happy if that is now a dining option! ;)

Great job getting this thread going guys.

A-Bomb

April 15 is an MLB wide day for Jackie Robinson. Not sure what will happen exactly but that is probably why his number is off the wall. Perhaps MLB wants his number to be more prominently displayed??

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Skkorpion,
I'm with you on this one. I can't see how we can win more than 80 games.

Last night I was listening to the talk show on 620. These guys are talking how easy our first 15 games are. I couldn't not understand what I was hearing. They said we need to get out of the gate at 12-3.

I thought I was going to fall off my bed.

How could that happen? I looked at the schedule and thought at best .500 ball.

Look, we have Johnson and Webb. Everyturn in the rotation 1 win 1 loss. Can't expect Webb to be a Schillings replacement. Randy, well lets just say he is getting older. Ok, now look at the rest of the rotation.

Dessens - More suited as a middle reliever, no more than 3 innings.
Rookie - Is he as good as Webb? Can't expect that. Maybe .500 in wins at best.
Starks - Well lets just say, we need to score alot of runs.

So, with a better than we had last year offense, we do worse as far as the record goes...

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I'm ready. Play ball!

My expectations are low (73 wins), so any decent success will be a bonus.

We have no speed and shaky starting pitching.

I am not as worried about the speed as I am about the pitching but the fact they sent Reynolds to the pen at least shows me they made the correct decisions based on personnel at camp.

My heart says 73 wins is waaay too low...my brain says this division is an anything goes division and the Dbacks could just as easily finish first as they can finish last.

Predictions:
Gonzo doesn't finish the season :(
Sexson has HUGE year
Hillenbrand has big first half netting All Star appearance, tails off once Gonzo is on the shelf
RJ bounces back big time.
Dbacks win 85 games and end up in second behind surprising Colorado (bold prediction).

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a game time chat?

Here's the link to the chat room....

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/chat.php

Bob Brenly mentioned on the radio that Andrew Good was recalled, however, I missed who was removed on the roster to make room for him....

Edit:
Found out later that Shane Reynolds was placed on the 15-day DL

Last edited:

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed one thing SKKORP...you are as negative as I am.....the older we get the more realistic our expectations are. With the loss of two extremely good pitchers this year...Schilling and Batista...I don't care how many good hitters we have...we don't have Sosa or Bonds on this squad. What was Jerry thinking when he traded away S and B? His pocketbook and the fear of death is approaching and all the things he does now is called taking care of business (his estate that he leaves to his wife and kids).

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that the Dbacks have found ways to generate more revenue will prevent the potential "fire-sale" the Dbacks somewhat undertook....

I'm glad they were able to secure Webb for a long-term deal prior to the start of this season and will probably lock-up Sexson to a 5-6 year deal before the
All Star Break....

I believe if they do get off to a horrid start that Jerry C. and Co. will immediately pursue a veteran pitcher to help stabilize the rotation since he knows that this might be most of the veterans (IE Finley, Alomar, Gonzalez, and Johnsons) "last hurrah"....

They already have several "2nd generation" players, however, we all know they're lacking speed and that's something they must somehow manage to address....

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice touch to have Jay Bell and Matt Williams both throw out the ceremonial "first pitches".....

Rockies (0-0)
L. Gonzalez 2B
R. Clayton SS
T. Helton 1B
P. Wilson CF
V. Castilla 3B
K. Pellow LF
J. Burnitz RF
C. Johnson C
S. Estes P

Diamondbacks (0-0)
S. Finley CF
R. Alomar 2B
L. Gonzalez LF
R. Sexson 1B
A. Cintron SS
S. Hillenbrand 3B
D. Bautista RF
B. Mayne C
R. Johnson P

I will track the first for the '04 season under this thread....

Randy Johnson vs. Rockies 2nd baseman Luis Gonzalez (no relation)
1st pitch.. "high and outside" at 3:20 p.m. AZ Time
1st strike... on a 2-1 count
1st out- flyball in foul terrority to Danny Bautista

1st hit for an opponent:
Royce Clayton bunt-single

1st Homer, Runs for an opponent:
2-run HR by Charles Johnson (4th inning)

1st K... Pellow

1st Dbacks HR, Run, and Hit
bases empty homer by Luis Gonzalez in bottom of 1st

Randy Johnson pitching:
Luis Gonzalez:

Rockies 1st
Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Foul, Gonzalez flied out to right.
Royce Clayton:
Clayton reached on bunt single to second.
Todd Helton:Foul, Ball, Strike swinging, Helton reached on an infield single, Clayton to second.
Preston Wilson:Wilson popped out to center.
Vinny Castilla:Foul, Ball, Ball, Ball, Strike swinging, Castilla walked, Clayton to third, Helton to second.
Kit Pellow:Strike looking, Strike looking, Pellow struck out swinging.
End of Inning (0 Runs, 2 Hits, 0 Errors)

Diamondbacks 1st
Shawn Estes pitching:
Steve Finley:Strike looking, Finley grounded out to second.
Roberto Alomar:Alomar lined out to second.
Luis E. Gonzalez:Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Foul, Foul, Foul, Gonzalez homered to deep right.
Richie Sexson:Ball, Strike swinging, Ball, Foul, Sexson struck out swinging.
End of Inning (1 Run, 1 Hit, 0 Errors)

Rockies 2nd
Randy Johnson pitching:
Jeromy Burnitz:Ball, Foul, Strike swinging, Ball, Burnitz struck out swinging.
Charles Johnson:Strike looking, Ball, Johnson fouled out to first.
Shawn Estes:Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Estes grounded out to first.
End of Inning (0 Runs, 0 Hits, 0 Errors)

Diamondbacks 2nd
Shawn Estes pitching:
Alex Cintron:Strike looking, Cintron grounded out to second.
Shea Hillenbrand:Strike looking, Hillenbrand popped out to center.Danny Bautista:Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Bautista grounded out to second.

Rockies 3rd
Randy Johnson pitching:
Luis Gonzalez:Strike looking, Ball, Foul, Ball, Gonzalez struck out swinging.
Royce Clayton:Foul, Foul, Ball, Foul, Ball, Ball, Clayton flied out to right.
Todd Helton:Ball, Strike swinging, Ball, Helton singled to shallow center.
Preston Wilson:Ball, Strike swinging, Foul, Ball, Ball, Wilson walked, Helton to second.
Vinny Castilla:Foul, Strike looking, Castilla struck out swinging.
End of Inning (0 Runs, 1 Hit, 0 Errors)

Diamondbacks 3rd
Shawn Estes pitching:Brent Mayne:Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Mayne struck out looking.
Randy Johnson:Ball, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Johnson grounded out to second.
Steve Finley:Strike looking, Strike looking, Ball, Foul, Finley struck out swinging.

Rockies 4th
Randy Johnson pitching:Kit Pellow:Strike swinging, Ball, Strike swinging, Pellow struck out swinging.
Jeromy Burnitz:Burnitz hit by pitch.
Charles Johnson:Johnson homered to deep left center, Burnitz scored.
Shawn Estes:Foul, Strike looking, Estes struck out looking.
Luis Gonzalez:Foul, Ball, Ball, Gonzalez grounded out to third.
End of Inning (2 Runs, 1 Hit, 0 Errors)

Diamondbacks 4th
Shawn Estes pitching:Roberto Alomar:Ball, Foul, Ball, Ball, Alomar walked.
Luis E. Gonzalez:Ball, Gonzalez grounded into double play second to shortstop to first, Alomar out at second.
Richie Sexson:Sexson grounded out to third.

Rockies 5th
Randy Johnson pitching:Royce Clayton:Strike looking, Clayton grounded out to first.
Todd Helton:Strike looking, Foul, Foul, Helton doubled to deep left center.
Preston Wilson:Ball, Foul, Foul, Foul, Ball, Helton stole third, Wilson doubled to deep left, Helton scored.
Vinny Castilla:Foul, Ball, Wilson caught stealing, catcher to third, Castilla grounded out to third.
End of Inning (1 Run, 2 Hits, 0 Errors)

Diamondbacks 5th
Shawn Estes pitching:Alex Cintron:Ball, Cintron grounded out to first.
Shea Hillenbrand:Ball, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Hillenbrand grounded out to second.
Danny Bautista:Bautista grounded out to second.

Rockies 6th
Randy Johnson pitching:
Kit Pellow:Strike looking, Strike looking, Foul, Pellow flied out to right.
Jeromy Burnitz:Strike swinging, Strike swinging, Foul, Foul, Ball, Foul, Ball, Ball, Foul, Burnitz walked.
Charles Johnson:Strike swinging, Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Ball, Johnson reached on fielder's choice to third, Burnitz out at second.
Shawn Estes:Ball, Ball, Foul, Strike swinging, Foul, Foul, Estes flied out to center.

Diamondbacks 6th
Shawn Estes pitching:
Brent Mayne:Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Mayne grounded out to first
Greg Colbrunn hit for Randy Johnson.Greg Colbrunn:Ball, Ball, Colbrunn grounded out to third.
Steve Finley:Ball, Ball, Finley singled to center.
Roberto Alomar:Ball, Ball, Ball, Alomar walked, Finley to second.
Luis E. Gonzalez:Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Ball, Gonzalez flied out to center.

Rockies 7th
Mike Koplove pitching:Luis Gonzalez:Gonzalez singled to right.
Royce Clayton:Ball, Bunt foul, Ball, Ball, Gonzalez caught stealing, catcher to shortstop, Clayton grounded out to pitcher.
Todd Helton:Ball, Ball, Ball, Helton walked.
Preston Wilson:Strike looking, Foul, Foul, Ball, Ball, Wilson struck out looking.

Diamondbacks 7th
Shawn Estes pitching:
Richie Sexson:Strike looking, Ball, Sexson flied out to center.
Alex Cintron:Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Cintron grounded out to first.
Shea Hillenbrand:Hillenbrand flied out to left.

Rockies 8th
Oscar Villarreal pitching:
Vinny Castilla:Strike swinging, Strike swinging, Castilla struck out swinging.
Kit Pellow:Strike swinging, Strike swinging, Pellow grounded out to shortstop.
Jeromy Burnitz:Strike swinging, Ball, Burnitz flied out to center.

Diamondbacks 8th
Denny Hocking at secondBrian Fuentes pitching
Danny Bautista:Ball, Foul, Foul, Bautista struck out swinging
Matt Kata hit for Brent Mayne.Matt Kata:Ball, Foul, Foul, Kata grounded out to second
Carlos Baerga hit for Oscar Villarreal.Carlos Baerga:Ball, Ball, Ball, Baerga walked.
Steve Finley:Strike looking, Strike swinging, Finley flied out to left.

Rockies 9th
Bobby Estalella catching
Jose Valverde pitching:
Charles Johnson:Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Johnson singled to center.
Denny Hocking:Ball, Hocking sacrificed to first, Johnson to second.
Luis Gonzalez:Ball, Gonzalez homered to deep left center, Johnson scored.
Royce Clayton:Foul, Clayton grounded out to third.
Todd Helton:Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Helton reached on an infield single.
Preston Wilson:Ball, Strike swinging, Ball, Ball, Foul, Foul, Foul, Wilson walked, Helton to second.
Vinny Castilla:Castilla doubled to deep left, Helton scored, Wilson to third
Mark Sweeney hit for Brian Fuentes.Mark Sweeney:Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Sweeney grounded out to first.
End of Inning (3 Runs, 4 Hits, 0 Errors)

Diamondbacks 9th
Shawn Chacon pitching:
Roberto Alomar:Strike looking, Alomar grounded out to shortstop.
Luis E. Gonzalez:Ball, Ball, Foul, Foul, Ball, Gonzalez homered to deep right.
Richie Sexson:Ball, Ball, Foul, Strike looking, Sexson struck out swinging.
Alex Cintron:Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Ball, Ball, Cintron walked
Shea Hillenbrand:Strike looking, Ball,
Hillenbrand reached on fielder's choice to third, Cintron out at second.
End of Inning (1 Run, 1 Hit, 0 Errors)

Rockies (1-0) LineupA
L. Gonzalez 2B 5 1 2 2
R. Clayton SS 5 0 1 0
T. Helton 1B4240
P. Wilson CF3011
V. Castilla 3B4011
S. Chacon P0000
J. Burnitz RF2100
C. Johnson C4222
D. Hocking P0000
Replaced
K. Pellow C4000
M. Sweeney RF1000
Diamondbacks (0-1)
S. Finley CF4010
R. Alomar 2B2000
L. Gonzalez LF4222
R. Sexson 1B4000
A. Cintron SS3000
S. Hillenbrand 3B4000
D. Bautista RF3000
B. Estalella C0000
J. Valverde P0000
C. Baerga 1B0000
G. Colbrunn 1B1000
M. Kata 2B1000
B. Mayne C2000

will edit the columns later...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get off in 40 minutes so I should see most of it b/c the game has not started yet.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Randy got out of the jam. Let's get some runs. Gonzo baby!!! 1-0 AZ!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brent Mayne is totally worthless to this team.

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Brent Mayne is totally worthless to this team.

After 1 at bat you have determined him totally worthless???

Hes a solid backup, and Hammock is injured. Whats the problem? :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn