Clippers to announce decision tomorrow at 3 pm

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
...listening to some national radio program at my desk and they said the Clippers will announce their intentions at 3 pm Pacific tomorrow concerning Richardson. They didn't speculate if they are going to match or not

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
The suspense will finally be over tommorow

Will we get Richardson or get matched and make a move for Dampier

Cant Wait !!!! :D

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
the fact that they are having an 'announcement' makes me think that they are going to match.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
offset said:
the fact that they are having an 'announcement' makes me think that they are going to match.

Agreed. :(

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Good point. Otherwise they could just let the deadline slip away and not bother saying anything.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
After I read this post; I went over to check the ESPN board (I know it is not the most reliable place to get information) but one guy was posting...

Guy A:

Hacksaw just mentioned that Q WILL be matched by 3 pm this Thurs. He didn't say it in speculative terms. He said it as if confirming news he got from inside sources.

Guy B:

I usually listen to Hacksaw and the guy is credible. He's considered to be the franchise broadcaster on Xtra690.

It seems that the time matches with what Ryanwb heard... maybe they are going to match it !?

Hello.... Mr. Dampier? :confused:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biclops said:
Guy A:

Hacksaw just mentioned that Q WILL be matched by 3 pm this Thurs. He didn't say it in speculative terms. He said it as if confirming news he got from inside sources.

Guy B:

I usually listen to Hacksaw and the guy is credible. He's considered to be the franchise broadcaster on Xtra690.
Holy cow! Childhood flashback! The Hack may be right. He's got a 50/50 shot. But I was in grade school the last time I heard his "high-speed sportswire," and he was less than 50 percent accurate on anything regarding the Suns and ASU football. He worked for KTAR, the flagship station for both teams.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
offset said:

I agree that the announcement more than likely means that they are going to match.

However it is possible that they use this press conference to announce that they aren't going to match Q's deal and the proposed trade for Kittles is complete.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Evil Ash
However it is possible that they use this press conference to announce that they aren't going to match Q's deal and the proposed trade for Kittles is complete.

This was my thought also, but it is probably wishful thinking.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope they match Q and we get Dampier, Dampier to this team means more to the team then Q to our team does.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It certainly sounds like they are going to match. If it was an announcement about Kittles, then it would be a "major announcement" rather than an announcement about Q.

Or not. :rolleyes:

fordronken

Reaction score
It could also just be a forum for them to explain why it "wasn't in the team's best interests" to re-sign Quentin Richardson, etc., etc.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fordronken said:
It could also just be a forum for them to explain why it "wasn't in the team's best interests" to re-sign Quentin Richardson, etc., etc.

This opens up an interesting question. Did the Clippers hold a press conference when Odom and Miller left last year?

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
offset said:
I agree with you as well. 80% chance the clips match I say.

:fans: :band: :jedi: :soapbox: :barf: :bday:

:oops:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to the LA Times, the Clippers are still talking to New Jersey about Kittles.

Full article reprinted below:

Clippers Considering Deal for Kittles
By Jerry Crowe, Times Staff Writer

With the deadline for a decision on Quentin Richardson fast approaching, the Clippers continued to talk Tuesday with the New Jersey Nets about a trade that would bring Kerry Kittles to Los Angeles, NBA sources said.

A 6-foot-5 guard, Kittles averaged 13.1 points, four rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.5 steals for the Nets last season. Due to make about $10 million next season in the last year of his contract, the 1996 first-round draft pick who is considered a top defender will be an unrestricted free agent next summer.

The Clippers have until Thursday to make a decision on Richardson, a 6-5 guard who two weeks ago signed a six-year, $42.6-million offer sheet with the Phoenix Suns. If the Clippers don't match the offer, they'll lose the rights to the restricted free agent, their third-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder last season.

Richardson, 24, averaged career highs of 17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.1 assists last season, his first as a full-time starter.

The Nets are in a cost-cutting mode.

They traded forward Kenyon Martin to the Denver Nuggets last week in a sign-and-trade deal and might be willing to move Kittles to the Clippers even though the Clippers are unwilling to trade Chris Wilcox, whom the Nets have targeted as a possible replacement for Martin.

Also Tuesday, the Clippers worked out former Laker forward Samaki Walker, a 28-year-old free agent who played last season for the Miami Heat.

The Clippers, who have only six players under contract for next season, last week worked out Zeljko Rebraca, a 7-foot center from Serbia and Montenegro. Rebraca, 32, played in 24 games last season for the Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Hawks.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From the Newark Star Ledger (posted few minutes ago):

If you've been thinking Clippers forward Chris Wilcox is coming to the Nets in exchange for Kerry Kittles -- a popular rumor the last week or so -- think again. The Clippers are expected to match an offer for restricted free-agent shooting guard Quentin Richardson by tomorrow and therefore have no need for Kittles.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1091005124292450.xml

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
For what it's worth.....I wrote Gambo and asked him if the Suns would go after Dampier if the Clips matched Q.

Marc Stein of ESPN amoung others is reporting that if the Clips match
the offer for Q that the Suns will go after Dampier. Is that true? What do you know about it?

"No absolutely not. They will try for Scott Pollard, Aaron Williams and at a long shot Kirk Thomas, but not Dampier."

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
mark1 said:
For what it's worth.....I wrote Gambo and asked him if the Suns would go after Dampier if the Clips matched Q.

the offer for Q that the Suns will go after Dampier. Is that true? What do you know about it?

"No absolutely not. They will try for Scott Pollard, Aaron Williams and at a long shot Kirk Thomas, but not Dampier."

Kurt Thomas perhaps? :D

I've outlined a possible Eisley for Pollard deal which might work.

I'm not sure I can envision an Aaron Williams trade that makes sense. The Nets need big and the Suns don't have anyone they need, so unless it uses the Suns cap space in a three way deal I can't see the Suns getting Williams.

The same could be said about Kurt Thomas. There are a lot of teams interested in him but he is not really a center.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
mark1 said:

Since this came from Gambo, I'd say it's a safe bet we're getting Dampier.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Kurt Thomas is at least a good player. Aaron Williams is terrible.

Considering their contracts, I would rather have Aaron Williams. Kurt Thomas is on the decline, and his deal runs for four more years for big money--he becomes more untradeable every day.

At least with Aaron Williams, the Suns would have cap room left over, and his contract expires at the same time as Eisley's.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
A little tid bit...

Jul. 28 - The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the Clippers are in talks with the Nets about Kittles, who is in the last year of a contract that will pay him $10 million. The Nets have been trying to unload Kittles, but were unable to complete a deal with the Blazers that would have allowed them to spend more money on Kenyon Martin. Since then, the team has been is a cost-cutting mode and may trade the shooting guard to the Clippers for cheap. Originally, the Nets had been asking for power forward Chris Wilcox in exchange, but they may be lowering their demands. The Clippers, meanwhile, are also on the clock to match the Suns' offer to shooting guard Quentin Richardson.

It seems that the Nets are lowering their demands for Kerry Kittles; if they can get something to work within the next couple of hours (maybe a first round draft pick) it would mean they will not match Q

Like I said before I would be very happy if Dampier comes to Phoenix but I will consider Nash and Q to be a successful offeseason for this team

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Biclops said:
A little tid bit...

Jul. 28 - The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the Clippers are in talks with the Nets about Kittles, who is in the last year of a contract that will pay him $10 million. The Nets have been trying to unload Kittles, but were unable to complete a deal with the Blazers that would have allowed them to spend more money on Kenyon Martin. Since then, the team has been is a cost-cutting mode and may trade the shooting guard to the Clippers for cheap. Originally, the Nets had been asking for power forward Chris Wilcox in exchange, but they may be lowering their demands. The Clippers, meanwhile, are also on the clock to match the Suns' offer to shooting guard Quentin Richardson.

It seems that the Nets are lowering their demands for Kerry Kittles; if they can get something to work within the next couple of hours (maybe a first round draft pick) it would mean they will not match Q

Like I said before I would be very happy if Dampier comes to Phoenix but I will consider Nash and Q to be a successful offeseason for this team

A last minute deal is possible, but I'm guessing they made their decision for Q when they called the press conference.