Clippers Blake Griffin Opts out of contract

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Absolutely not.

There are few guys that I'd sign to the kind of money that he'd be asking. Blake isn't one of them.

A. I don't see how Blake Griffin makes any of these guys better. If anything, he stunts the growth of Chriss.

B. This team is not a Blake Griffin away from being a title contender, so why bother for that kind of money?

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mentioned on here a while back that I ran into Griffin on holiday in europe - saw him regularly around town and in clubs over 4 days or so; he is SUCH a brat...No thanks on this observation alone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had been interested in Blake at one time but I am pretty sure that in two years we would think of him the same as the Spurs think of LMA right now.

Agreed.

I also think he's on his way to being the next Amare.

Dudes made of glass.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bled Book Jackson Griffin Chriss
Ullis Knight/Reed Warren Bender Sauce

Tell me that wouldn't be an interesting team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bled Book Jackson Griffin Chriss
Ullis Knight/Reed Warren Bender Sauce

Tell me that wouldn't be an interesting team.

It depends on what part of the season. Early in the season yes, come playoff time, not so much if history holds true on Griffin.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'll just take Blake's comment about liking PHX (among others) at face value. So he's putting possible destinations out there - we haven't been getting mentioned that way so much in recent years.

But even if it feels like a Suns training staff reclamation, it probably won't come at a discount - just fewer bidders, potentially. It also might still be early for a move like this, a set much as McD seems to want a high-profile FA landing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would you want this guy. He flat out can't stay healthy anymore. No thanks.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm not sure he's the one I want. Rather go after the next available star. Injury prone and I fear he'll get a lot of DNPs for us, so I hope McD sits this one out.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we can get Millsap for cheaper and less years, I'd probably rather do that. 2 would be ideal, but I'm sure he wants to cash in one more time in his early 30's. It'll be interesting to see what type of interest he gets. Part of me thinks that a lot of teams will be hesitant to commit max contracts considering how dominant the Warriors are currently.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
To be honest, even Aldridge is probably a better option than Griffin. Aldridge was terrible in the last playoffs, but at least he was on the floor. And the chance of Aldridge bouncing back is at least as good as the chance of Griffin becoming durable.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be honest, even Aldridge is probably a better option than Griffin. Aldridge was terrible in the last playoffs, but at least he was on the floor. And the chance of Aldridge bouncing back is at least as good as the chance of Griffin becoming durable.

I can see that contract-wise. He's under contract for next year for $21.5M and has a player option for the 2018-19 season at $22.3M. He'd be off the books when Booker would be starting his new contract.

I wonder what the Spurs want for him. I'd offer the Miami pick and Knight. That would save them 8 million next year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It depends on what part of the season. Early in the season yes, come playoff time, not so much if history holds true on Griffin.

Yeah, I mean you'd have the medical staff do a full evaluation before any contract is offered. If they give the green light, I'd be confident in signing him.

For those suggesting Millsap, I'd love to know the attraction. He's 32, and has never moved the needle on any team. His Hawks teams have always been first round fodder. At least with Griffin he's 28.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Aldridge is ok, but he's also 31, and not a free agent until 2020.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aldridge is ok, but he's also 31, and not a free agent until 2020.

The rumor is that he wants out and the Spurs are trying to move him to clear space to pursue free agents like Chris Paul. We could potentially get him in a salary dump type of move. Having Aldridge and his old max salary for at most 2 years vs Millsap or Griffin at the new max four 4 years is preferable.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The rumor is that he wants out and the Spurs are trying to move him to clear space to pursue free agents like Chris Paul. We could potentially get him in a salary dump type of move. Having Aldridge and his old max salary for at most 2 years vs Millsap or Griffin at the new max four 4 years is preferable.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily be mad if we acquired him for peanuts, but I also doubt he'd make much of a difference.

I'm surprised everyone is so down on Griffin - I understand the injury concerns, but he's a pretty damn good player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean you'd have the medical staff do a full evaluation before any contract is offered. If they give the green light, I'd be confident in signing him.

For those suggesting Millsap, I'd love to know the attraction. He's 32, and has never moved the needle on any team. His Hawks teams have always been first round fodder. At least with Griffin he's 28.

The only thing I can offer about Millsap, it's a bad free agency group. However, he is a solid player but I wouldn't want to spend huge money on him. I don't know where the Suns would play him with Chriss and Bender on the roster.

If the Suns medical staff thought Griffin could stay healthy, he would be an attractive target.

Errntknght

Reaction score
no, no, and no to Griffin... he's the opposite of clutch and will want way too much. What I'd call a worst case acquisition...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

If someone wants out of San Antonio, I don't want them. There has to be something wrong with him.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I would not be opposed to seeing Blake on this team. And I HATED him on the Clippers.

Bledsoe, Booker, Griffin. Not exactly a true "Big 3" but damn they'd be fun to watch. And I think with guys like Jackson, Chriss, Warren, Williams, Ulis, etc, they'd have a chance at being as good or a little better than those disappointing Clippers teams.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I would not be opposed to seeing Blake on this team. And I HATED him on the Clippers.

Bledsoe, Booker, Griffin. Not exactly a true "Big 3" but damn they'd be fun to watch. And I think with guys like Jackson, Chriss, Warren, Williams, Ulis, etc, they'd have a chance at being as good or a little better than those disappointing Clippers teams.
As good as disappointing. Man, we Suns fans are brainwashed to hope for mediocrity.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would say no. I want to stay with the young core and focus more on a young 3&D Center to keep the floor spacing open.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
As good as disappointing. Man, we Suns fans are brainwashed to hope for mediocrity.

Disappointing, as in they were expected to content in the WCF every year. But never quite made it there.

If adding Griffin could help make this team a consistent #4-5 seed, it'd at least be interesting. I would be 50/50 on signing him. But if forced I'd probably lean slightly towards passing and just letting the current roster grow for a few years.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There's a difference in the mediocrity of the final Nash years that had no hope for the future vs the mediocrity that adding a player like Griffin would bring to our now bright future.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. This may sound strange, but I would rather have Chris Paul than Blake. I know CP3 is older, but his mature game and willingness to play offense and defense would be much more helpful for the development of this young core than Griffin. CP3 would not be around when this team fully matures, but his influence would be.

It would be CP3 over Bledsoe.

But he would not come here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson