Clerks II

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
abomb said:
I love PF (top 3) and actually more than like Jackie Brown. But I see what you are saying. I often wonder, with respect specifically to Kevin Smith and QT, if we (guys 20-35) like these movies because of the movie or because the quotable lines and scenes that have become entrenched in our vernacular.

A-Bomb
That's an excellent question, and it's probably both. And of course, that is full circle and comes back to the writing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know this is a Kevin Smith thread, but the Tarantino issue is too hard to ignore... :D

Look at 1994 as a year--specifically at the Best Pic nominees:

Pulp Fiction
Quiz Show
Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
Four Weddings and a Funeral

... with Forrest Gump winning.

I remember really pushing for Pulp Fiction to win because it was so different at the time and QT was such a "new" filmmaker who seemed to have a lot of great ideas (I loved the script and was going to school to be a screenwriter).

But over the years, Pulp Fiction was only the 4th best film NOMINATED. In order, my 1994 noms:

Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
Quiz Show
Pulp Fiction
Four Weddings and a Funeral

All 5 movies were very well-written. Pulp Fiction was cool and had an odd progression of the plot, but Quiz Show took a seemingly uninteresting topic and made it fascinating. Shawshank was a masterpiece and one of the best movies of the decade. And Gump was good old fashioned moviemaking at its best--there was very little "bad" about the film.

But then you look at Pulp Fiction, and outside of the adrenaline stabbing and John Travolta shooting Marvin in the face, what else is there for action? What actually happens? Sodomy with Ving Rhames--there's a great image... The point is, film, to me, is a visual medium, and Pulp Fiction never really too advantage of that fact. The film would have been better even by simply darkening the shots and making it look more like a film noir, which it was trying to pay homage to in the first place. Imagine Pulp Fiction if it looked more like Sin City. Wow.

We all have our opinions of course, and I can only hope you see my point-of-view, even if you don't agree with it.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Saw Clerks 2 last night.

My rating: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Any comments about it would probably wind up being spoilers, so I'll just leave it at that :thumbup:

Kelly. :biglaugh:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Saw Clerks 2 last night.

My rating: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Any comments about it would probably wind up being spoilers, so I'll just leave it at that :thumbup:

Kelly. :biglaugh:

I wanted to go see it last night... my friend that I went with wouldn't see it... She instead chose My Super Ex-Girlfriend.. eh it was ok.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw Clerks II and I thought it was pretty funny. Not as good as the original, but still funny. I liked the part when they were comparing Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. Also, the last part of the movie is funny but very different. And I mean different in a perverted way. That is all I will say, you'll have to see it to believe it.

Not a spoiler but the way the movie ended, Kevin Smith could do a Clerks III if he wanted to.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved it and have to say, Jason Lee again was the best part of a Kevin Smith movie. OK, so maybe not, but it was still great.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
dude, "kelly" and the silence of the lambs rip off were definitely the high points for me :D

what an f'd up movie :biglaugh:

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
What? I search for a Clerks II thread and found absolutely nada!!

Well, it was damn good. In a raunchy, perverted sorta way.

If you like 'Clerks' I'm pretty sure you will like II.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess I'd need to see Clerks 1 to have any idea what this is about.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, I am the biggest Kevin Smith apologist. I have defended Mallrats and it's sloppy reshoot of the entire first 20 minutes. I have defended Chasing Amy as Kevin Smith's best movie and snappiest dialog. I saw Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back opening night. For goodness sake, I own the four hour "An Evening with Kevin Smith" DVD. That being said, I found Clerks II to be incredibly disappointing and terribly unnecessary. I laughed once in the first twenty minutes and once the "storyline" kicked in I think I mustered about five more. ATM, we got it! A girl-less Donkey show, we got it.

Some, including Smith himself, might describe Clerks II as his continuing exploration of his own adulthood and "after the hot girls are done dating the hot guys, they end up with the ones who have to work a little harder, but are utimately the best mates" that netted him his wife and continued on the ever-changing problems of life that "Jersey Girl" started, but to uncomically rehash his most-loved characters is a farce. Well, at least I can hope for improvement in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back II".

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
So i've decided that I'm very dissapointed with all of my friends on this one. I really want to see this movie but no one will go with me. I've been designated driver, been dragged places I didn't want to go, seen many horrible movies only to have all my friends say no to seeing this movie with me. My friends suck.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
That being said, I found Clerks II to be incredibly disappointing and terribly unnecessary. I laughed once in the first twenty minutes and once the "storyline" kicked in I think I mustered about five more.
That's pretty much my opinion of the movie as well.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know this movie sucks without seeing it for the simple fact Rosario Dawson is in it. The only movie she is in that doesn't completely suck is Sin City(though she is horrible in it).

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched it. It had some really funny parts, but as a whole I was expecting it to be funnier. The LOTR/Star Wars stuff was hilarious. It was worth seeing once, but I’m certain it wouldn’t be as funny if I watched it again.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I was once a big fan but Kevin Smith has jumped the shark. Clerks was OK but far from a masterpiece and Chasing Amy was tremendous, but since then it's been all downhill. Dogma was Dogcrap. Clerks II was a yawn festival.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of non-Kevin Smith fans here, including a few who claim to be. Mallrats was fun, but a crappy movie. We all know that. Clerks was a brilliant $15,000 film. Chasing Amy? Simply brilliant. Dogma was funny as hell and hit on a good point too. Jay and Silent Bob was simply giving the fans what they wanted, and was funny in doing so. Jersey Girl gets a lot of flak because it was different, but I thought it was quite well done. Heck, Kevin Smith is the only one that really gets anything out of Ben Affleck. I was terribly afraid of Clerks II, but it far exceeded my and my friends' expectations. Hysterical, with just the right touch of story.

So, that's what I think. My opinion on them all. The one caveat I'll give is that, for the most part, you love or hate, get or don't get, Kevin Smith movies.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved this movie, but I like every Kevin Smith movie (though I haven't seen Jersey Girl yet)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Decent flick. Good for a few laughs. The characters are so likable that you kind of get drawn in. The "ABC" dance scene was probably my favorite part. That and "I'm sorry Jesus"