Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Director Kevin Smith Plans 'Clerks' Sequel

Aug 27, 8:10 PM (ET)
By ANTHONY BREZNICAN

LOS ANGELES (AP) -
Kevin Smith is making another convenience store run.

The writer-director of "Dogma,""Chasing Amy" and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" told the Associated Press on Friday that he has begun work on a sequel to "Clerks," his homemade indie classic from 1994.

That $27,000 movie, shot at night in a store where Smith worked, chronicled the adventures of Dante and Randal, two guys who talk about life, death, sex and movies while working at neighboring stores.

The sequel picks up 10 years later.

"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex," Smith said during an interview at his Hollywood office. "It's: What happened to these dudes?"

A new 10th anniversary DVD of "Clerks" debuts Sept. 7, and Smith said working on that three-disc set inspired him to write about what became of those characters.

The sequel - titled "The Passion of the Clerks" - is set to begin shooting in January. Miramax Films, which turned the original into a cult-hit after buying it at the Sundance Film Festival, plans to distribute the follow-up.

"It's funny, it's very raw, insanely foul-mouthed. In many ways it's the antithesis of 'Jersey Girl,'" Smith said, referring to his recent PG-13 comedy with Ben Affleck as the widowed father of a little girl.

Smith is also writing the screenplay for a movie version of "The Green Hornet," but no longer thinks he will direct it. The "Clerks" movie has moved to the top of his to-do list.

He said he called Jeff Anderson, who played the combative video-store worker Randal, and Brian O'Halloran, who was the besieged-by-strangeness convenience store employee Dante, to run the idea by them first.

"Jeff was actually very protective of 'Clerks,'" Smith said. "Jeff was like, 'Are you sure you want to do this? That movie means a lot to people and do you want to go back?' I thought about it honestly, and it would seem chicken to not give it a shot just because I'm afraid of (messing) with the first film."

So far, he said he has gotten only positive responses from the people who have read the script, so he decided to move forward with it. Both O'Halloran and Anderson are signed on, and Jason Mewes, will return as stoner Jay, the "hetero life-mate" of Smith's stoic Silent Bob.

"I'm sure there will be naysayers who say, 'Oh my God, it's an opportunistic grab at a buck,' but it's not. We're doing it for nothing," Smith said. "We're going to do it insanely inexpensively. The budget will be somewhere between 250 grand and $5 million."

The original was shot pre-dawn, and most of the actors worked for free and then went straight to their day-jobs with little or no sleep.

"This time around we'll afford ourselves the luxury of nice 12-hour days," Smith said. "And people can get paid."

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Smith Talks Clerks Sequel
Source: View Askew
Monday, September 6, 2004

Writer/director Kevin Smith is answering questions about his upcoming The Passion of The Clerks, the recently announced sequel to 1994's Clerks, on his official website. The sequel picks up 10 years later and is set to begin shooting in January at Miramax. Here's a rundown of the highlights:

-This isn't gonna be a cameo-heavy affair, a'la "Strike Back." The only returning characters are Dante and Randal, and Jay and Silent Bob.

- This isn't gonna be a star-studded affair. The biggest names in the cast are gonna be Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, and Jason Mewes.

- This isn't an "I'm not even supposed to be here today... AGAIN!"-heavy, wink-wink affair. We barely refer to the first flick (though I do love Lynch's proposed tagline of "They Still Don't Like You"; considering the tone of the script, an even more appropriate tagline would be "They Like You Even Less").

- Jay and Silent Bob have about as much screen time as they had in "Clerks." This is Dante and Randal's flick all the way.

- The title makes sense. Sure, there's a bit of cheekiness in there, but it's pretty appropriate, based on the material.

- We'll still be making a "Clerks" cartoon movie, separate of this.

- We almost did this flick three years ago, instead of "Strike Back." I'm glad we didn't, because I was able to say much more now than I would've then.

- That storyline about Dante and Randal shooting a movie about working at the Quick Stop is the plot of the "Clerks" CARTOON movie. It's secure. The plot of "PotC" is something completely different.

- The flick does NOT employ the tone of the "Clerks" cartoon. It's OG "Clerks" all the way.

- The flick's in both black & white and color.

- Having not seen "South Park" since season two (unless you count the movie), I was unaware they did an episode called "The Passion of the Jew." I don't know how (or if) this info will affect our title.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Smith on The Passion of The Clerks
Source: The View Askewniverse
February 13, 2005

Writer/director Kevin Smith says on his official website that The Passion of The Clerks, the sequel to Clerks, will start shooting around April 18th.

"This is the funniest thing I've ever written. It's also really poignant," says Smith. "This isn't gonna be a cameo-heavy affair, a'la 'Strike Back.' The only returning characters are Dante and Randal, and Jay and Silent Bob." He adds that it won't be a star-studded affair and that "Jay and Silent Bob have about as much screen time as they had in 'Clerks.' This is Dante and Randal's flick all the way."

The sequel to the 1994 independent hit picks up 10 years later. It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. It's time for the Dante and Randal to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex.

They'll still be making a Clerks cartoon movie separate from this feature as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------

:thumbup:

Glad to hear it'll be more like the original Clerks than some of the star-heavy Smith films.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Clerks is one of my alltime faves - I cannot wait to see what KS come up with

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
clerks 2: the passion of the clerks

i hope they don't screw this up.

Story: The sequel to the 1994 independent hit picks up 10 years later. It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. It's time for the Dante and Randal to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex.

http://movieweb.com/movies/film.php?3180

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randall is one of my favorite characters of all time.

"People say crazy things during sex. One time I called this girl "mom""
~Randall

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jenna2891 said:
ooops, sorry. i'm too much of a newbie to know you guys were way ahead of the curve on this one!

stupid newbie!!! :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clerks 2: 50 lucky fans get to see a preview
Dec 11, 2005
NewsAskew.com

Over on News Askew, Clerks 2 director Kevin Smith is choosing 50 lucky fans to come to a special preview screening of Clerks 2 and give him personal feedback on the film. If you're in the L.A. area (or can be there on this coming Friday, December 16), and would like to be one of the chosen ones, get your butt over to the News Askew website and tell Kevin why you should get to see the early cut of Clerks 2.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a place where we aren't clones, Jenna!

I'm not much of a Kevin Smith fan. I find him chuckleious, not hilarious.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
There's a place where we aren't clones, Jenna!

I'm not much of a Kevin Smith fan. I find him chuckleious, not hilarious.

Good writer, not a very good director.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
jenna2891 said:
seriously. krep, it looks like we have a new brother!

Careful, he may be angling for some of the Oh Henry candy bar fortune!
You must be registered for see images