Choose The Suns Next Head Coach?

Who would you like to see the Suns hire as head coach this summer?

• David Fizdale

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Jay Wright

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Monty Williams

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Mark Jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Kidd

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Jay Triano

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Dan Majerle

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Mike Budenholzer

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I thought about it. I put no credence in anything Barkley ever says and even if I believed him, we have no idea where and when his opinion was shaped. But since it's obvious that Sarver is still a problem, it's difficult to dismiss Chuck's comments.

Even when someone in the media tries to be positive about Sarver, there is always a message about the challenges of dealing with a meddlesome owner. He's improved but it looks like he's still killing us.
:thumbup:

I've posted this before. Can someone explain how Sarver is "The Owner" when he owns only 30% of the team?

And do the other 70% of the ownership have no say in the things to which Barkley refer?

Or is counting their money all they care about?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I've posted this before. Can someone explain how Sarver is "The Owner" when he owns only 30% of the team?

And do the other 70% of the ownership have no say in the things to which Barkley refer?

Yes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about it. I put no credence in anything Barkley ever says and even if I believed him, we have no idea where and when his opinion was shaped. But since it's obvious that Sarver is still a problem, it's difficult to dismiss Chuck's comments.

Even when someone in the media tries to be positive about Sarver, there is always a message about the challenges of dealing with a meddlesome owner. He's improved but it looks like he's still killing us.

I guess I have to wonder... why do you think he's improved?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I have to wonder... why do you think he's improved?

There have been multiple media reports acknowledging it. Unfortunately, they almost always appear in stories where they document his continued failings.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But this isn’t chuck’s opinion. It’s chucks retelling if comments made to him by those apparently in the know. Could he be embellishing? Sure and it wouldn’t surprise me. But he does have access to these people and what he says jibes with what a lot of people believe of sarver.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this isn’t chuck’s opinion. It’s chucks retelling if comments made to him by those apparently in the know. Could he be embellishing? Sure and it wouldn’t surprise me. But he does have access to these people and what he says jibes with what a lot of people believe of sarver.

Yeah, I thought I made the same point in my post?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well BC we got a new owner. Remember back in the days when you wanted to get rid the Colangelo’s? Doesn’t look so bad now, does it?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I missed something but cliffs on why some weren’t satisfied with JC?
BC was very critical of the Colangelos years ago and accused them of wanting an entertaining team over a winning team—no center, small ball and all that. He would say that the only way to really compete was to get new ownership.

He and I would go around about because I was a big JC fan (hence my screen name). I always contended that any new owner would never be as good and that we had one of the top ownership groups in the league.

It’s ok. BC wasn’t the one to sell the team. And he didn’t choose the new owner. Water under the bridge now.

I am just poking at him a little to see if he is awake.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I missed something but cliffs on why some weren’t satisfied with JC?

@BC867 thought Jerry never cared about winning a title and just wanted a fun “50 and fade team” every year... even though he repeatedly circumvented salary cap rules, in essence cheating to get THE best FA for a wink wink one year deal with under the table deals to guarantee them long term deals once we got their Bird rights.

Deals the NBA made null and void after he did it two years in a row for AC Green and Danny Manning (the best two FA of both summers) trying to find the missing piece to the Barkley title contenders.

And then when that didn’t work, Colangelo did exactly what BC used to complain about and made a desperate move for a Center... making the disasterous Hot Rod Williams deal that destroyed that team.

But ultimately... he didn’t really want a title?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
BC was very critical of the Colangelos years ago and accused them of wanting an entertaining team over a winning team—no center, small ball and all that. He would say that the only way to really compete was to get new ownership.

Referring to the post-Barkley/pre-Nash era? I remembered those teams as pretty boring with the exception of that one season with Kidd/McDyess.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
@BC867 thought Jerry never cared about winning a title and just wanted a fun “50 and fade team” every year... even though he repeatedly circumvented salary cap rules, in essence cheating to get THE best FA for a wink wink one year deal with under the table deals to guarantee them long term deals once we got their Bird rights.

Deals the NBA made null and void after he did it two years in a row for AC Green and Danny Manning (the best two FA of both summers) trying to find the missing piece to the Barkley title contenders.

And then when that didn’t work, Colangelo did exactly what BC used to complain about and made a desperate move for a Center... making the disasterous Hot Rod Williams deal that destroyed that team.

But ultimately... he didn’t really want a title?

The Mercury's success proves that it's fairly easy to win a professional basketball league title if you just put your mind to it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Referring to the post-Barkley/pre-Nash era? I remembered those teams as pretty boring with the exception of that one season with Kidd/McDyess.

Referring to the ENTIRE Colangelo era.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He and I would go around about because I was a big JC fan (hence my screen name). I always contended that any new owner would never be as good and that we had one of the top ownership groups in the league.

It’s ok. BC wasn’t the one to sell the team. And he didn’t choose the new owner. Water under the bridge now.

I am just poking at him a little to see if he is awake.
This is pretty amazing to me because I did not even know this forum existed back when Colangelo was still an owner.

Heck, I didn’t know sports forums were even a thing ~15 years ago.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Referring to the ENTIRE Colangelo era.

That’s definitely an “out there” take. The Suns could very easily have 5-something championships had a coin flip or lottery result or some bad luck with injuries gone differently. But you’re judged by championships so people will feel that way. After this past decade I wish I appreciated some of those teams more.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s definitely an “out there” take. The Suns could very easily have 5-something championships had a coin flip or lottery result or some bad luck with injuries gone differently. But you’re judged by championships so people will feel that way. After this past decade I wish I appreciated some of those teams more.

Yeah, we were very spoiled, for a long time. I remember people thinking the 2010/11 Suns would be better than the year before with Nash and Hill placed by Dragic and Beasley, even at that age, and being shocked that so many fans didn't grasp how easy Nash made offense look.

I also remember the level of crushing betrayal I felt when Barkley was traded for some of the very players who crushed the Barkley era. That hurt... still hurts. Picturing Elie, Cassel and Horry and in Suns uniforms makes me nauseous.

Contending in the NBA is very difficult, the Colangelo Suns (and their remains) were in the mix from '88 until 2010... that length of sustained success, with several years of legit contention is almost unprecedented.

Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Re: Majerle - a lower-tier college coach turning down the Suns isn’t a thing. It’s not like they were reaching out to any other WAC coaches, or would. They extended an olive branch to Majerle and an opportunity to save face, and he took it. He didn’t tell them to get lost, at least publicly: he literally said “I'm not ruling it out in the future. But there are still things I want to do here [at GCU].”

We can twist it to make the Suns and Sarver look bad, but honestly, do we really need any more help with that?

Re: Chuck’s comments - I haven’t always agreed with his take on the Suns but I don’t see any reason to question him this time. I’m sure he has heard it, and it’s just confirming what we have long known or suspected.

Re: Triano. I’ll be disappointed if he’s the hire, but at least they won’t have to give him a long contract and he won’t be too expensive to go in another direction after next season. It won’t look good, especially to us, but the rest of the world won’t be paying as close attention.

Here’s the thing, though, if they don’t hire anyone in the next couple weeks, or are waiting for Igor and/or other playoff coaches, everyone will know what pick the Suns have on May 15. If things go our way and hey land #1, suddenly candidates are pencilling in Ayton. At #2 candidates are still going to be thinking about who they want.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is pretty amazing to me because I did not even know this forum existed back when Colangelo was still an owner.

Heck, I didn’t know sports forums were even a thing ~15 years ago.

Yep, some of us have been here since 2002 or 2003. There was a different forum before that (azprosports, I think) we were all on before this one. There was another one before that one too, though that was before my time.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yep, some of us have been here since 2002 or 2003. There was a different forum before that (azprosports, I think) we were all on before this one. There was another one before that one too, though that was before my time.
The first Suns forum I joined was one that was connected to their official website called Planet Orange or Planet Purple or something like that. That was back in 2007 or 2008 roughly around the same time the Shaq trade went down and I was glad I found that forum to express my outrage at the time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't know anything about the forum until I went looking for information in 2003 about a draft pick or player as I recall.

It was great to find a community of Suns fans to talk too. Needless to say I got hooked. Before that it was all sports talk radio where fans could call-in with questions. It just wasn't enough.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The first forum I was on was azcentral which was not moderated. One psychopath made it unusable. Many of us left that when phxsuns.net started. I found this forum then. Was it 2002?

As far as Barkley’s comments, they mesh with other things written. What we have is the Jerry Jones of basketball owners. I am amazed McD is able to function. Sorry Cheese, it makes me want to keep McD more now. The alternative would be Sarver as the GM. We don’t know about how all the inner workings go, but now I am not sure I want to know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort