Check out this mock!?!?!?

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Uhhhhhh

We pass on Eli to draft a running back....it could happen....it better not!!!!

Actually some of the players on that mock are decent.....the DT McNeil from Auburn....Smith a LBer from Ga.Tech...and that Ky. wide receiver.....but we can do better.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Manning, Wilfork and Taylor still on the board I doubt we take Jones. We don't need a RB that early. We need a QB, DB and a pass rush first. One of these three.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
"Postion Ranking"?

Yeah, you can put a lot of stock in a site run in the bed room of a HS kid.

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
IMO it is a great mock except for the first round which was horrible, but rounds 2-7 are great and right on target.

2.Nathan Vasher, CB, Texas
Solid cover corner who could go in the first.

3.Ben Wilkerson, C, LSU
One of the best linemen in the draft would go a lot higher if he wasnt a C. Could easily come in and start and put Kendall back at LG.

4.DeMarco McNeil, DT, Auburn
Great value, and a need

5.Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
Again great value and need

6.Derek Abney, WR, Kentucky
Best punt return man and gunner in college football. Boldin shouldnt be returning punts.

7.Rodney Reed, OT, LSU
Projected to be a gaurd in the NFL and would add much need depth in the interior oline.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I might get roasted for this, but I would be happy with this draft.

Shipp is a nice player, but Jones might be quite a bit better. He is every bit as big as Shipp, but he's much faster.

6'0 220, with 4.3 speed.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain

Shipp is a nice player, but Jones might be quite a bit better. He is every bit as big as Shipp, but he's much faster.

6'0 220, with 4.3 speed.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score

6'0 220, with 4.3 speed.

I won't argue with you; except to say that if NY is hot on Eli then let's flip the pick with them and add a 2nd or third...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
I won't argue with you; except to say that if NY is hot on Eli then let's flip the pick with them and add a 2nd or third...

Great thinking! :thumbup:

(It's good to see that we can agree on some things! :p )

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

6'0 220, with 4.3 speed.

There would be a full scale riot if they passed on Manning and drafted a RB. Especially one who I personally would rate below Stephen Jackson.

The rest of the draft is terrific though. I've been pulling for Vasher to drop to Rd 2 for weeks now. Plug in Manning instead of the RB and this is a dream draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
There would be a full scale riot if they passed on Manning and drafted a RB. Especially one who I personally would rate below Stephen Jackson.

The rest of the draft is terrific though. I've been pulling for Vasher to drop to Rd 2 for weeks now. Plug in Manning instead of the RB and this is a dream draft.

I must admit that I am a little gunshy about drafting a runningback; Thomas Jones is sort of like Kevin Jones.

I do like Jackson a lot too, but I rate Jones higher because he has more speed and has played better competition. I generally like power backs like Jackson, but Jones isn't much smaller than Jackson, but he is substantially faster.

Jones could be like a LT-type back. One of the mistakes that the Cards made that people don't think much about, was taking Leonard Davis over LT. Shipp is a pretty good back, but he pales in comparsi

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
One of the mistakes that the Cards made that people don't think much about, was taking Leonard Davis over LT. Shipp is a pretty good back, but he pales in comparison.

We could also have had Chad Johnson or Fred Smoot in Round Two that year instead of KVB.

But let's not go there. :D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has played better competition.

The rest of what you said is okay, but I have to take issue with this. There's no way the PAC 10 is lesser competition than the Big East. I mean, Jones played Temple and Rutgers this year for Gawd's Sake. USC spanked Mich, Wash St. abused Texas and Cal beat Va. Tech, what else has to be done for the conference to not be a knock on draft position? This is the same sort of crap dragged out last year in the great Suggs debates and we can see how relevant that was a year later.

I mean how ridiculous is it that someone posted the other day that Mike Williams might be a good draft choice in the third or fourth round? Mike *&%$$$!! Williams!!!!!!!!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The rest of what you said is okay, but I have to take issue with this. There's no way the PAC 10 is lesser competition than the Big East. I mean, Jones played Temple and Rutgers this year for Gawd's Sake. USC spanked Mich, Wash St. abused Texas and Cal beat Va. Tech, what else has to be done for the conference to not be a knock on draft position? This is the same sort of crap dragged out last year in the great Suggs debates and we can see how relevant that was a year later.

I mean how ridiculous is it that someone posted the other day that Mike Williams might be a good draft choice in the third or fourth round? Mike *&%$$$!! Williams!!!!!!!!!

IMO the Pac 10 is lesser competition outside of USC and Washington State. It's a top heavy conference. You could argue, successfully I have to add, that the Big East is as well, but Tech has played teams like Virginia as well.

Va. Tech beat themselves against Cal. Not to take anything away from Cal, but if Tech lost that game. Jones absolutely destroyed Cal's run defense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz
We could also have had Chad Johnson or Fred Smoot in Round Two that year instead of KVB.

But let's not go there. :D

Fred Smoot, I'm not a big fan of, but Johnson I am.

We didn't need Johnson at the time however....we also could've had Schobel, who has been a more productive KVB for Buffalo...

Kiper said that we should've drafted Schobel, and that KVB was a reach. I hate it when Kiper is right. :mad:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO the Pac 10 is lesser competition outside of USC and Washington State. It's a top heavy conference. You could argue, successfully I have to add, that the Big East is as well, but Tech has played teams like Virginia as well.

Va. Tech beat themselves against Cal. Not to take anything away from Cal, but if Tech lost that game. Jones absolutely destroyed Cal's run defense.

Every school in the Pac 10, top to bottom, has numerous players in the NFL. I don't think the Big East can claim the same thing. I'm not saying the Pac 10 is the best conference in the land. No, the SEC and Big 12 are the top 2 for the NFL, followed by the Big 10 and then you get to the ACC and Pac 10. I'm saying playing in the Pac 10 is not a strike against a player. Don't believe me. Look at any roster in the NFL, the Pac 10 is well represented. As an ASU guy who likes the draft, you should know better.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Every school in the Pac 10, top to bottom, has numerous players in the NFL. I don't think the Big East can claim the same thing. I'm not saying the Pac 10 is the best conference in the land. No, the SEC and Big 12 are the top 2 for the NFL, followed by the Big 10 and then you get to the ACC and Pac 10. I'm saying playing in the Pac 10 is not a strike against a player. Don't believe me. Look at any roster in the NFL, the Pac 10 is well represented. As an ASU guy who likes the draft, you should know better.

Being represented is one thing. But what kind of Pac-10 players make a difference in the NFL? Mainly skill position players.

Football is mainly based on lines (I think you are quite aware of that). Pac-10 football has weaker O lines and D lines compared to the top conferences.

Look at impact defensive lineman across the league. How many great Pac-10 lineman are there in the NFL? Not many. The same could be said about the O lines as well.

I am actually quite surprised by the Pac-10's showing so far.

I will admit that it isn't a strike against a player, but it isn't a strength either. Certain positions from certain conferences carry a higher grade IMO, and that is based on historical observations.

My number one rule, and a rule we violated when we drafted Thomas Jones: Never pass over a top SEC back (Alexander) for a back from a lesser conference (Jones). :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn