Chandler Jones removes all Cardinals references from IG

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Removing photos and avoiding voluntary camps are a standard part of mid negotiation posturing. It's textbook, and isn't usually a problem. They'll keep Jones. He and Budda are their best defensive players currently.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
2 years at $18m per. $28m guaranteed. 3rd year team option at the same rate. $1m bonus for 10+ sacks.
I believe this is the right ballpark to be in. Essentially you can extend him through the first year of Kyler's new deal. I am not saying you do, I am just saying that is your window for these older vet contracts.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wolfley just backed up the bus over CJ. Paraphrase:

31 years old? Major biceps injury coming back from? You expecting a raise? You know what Bellicheck does with a guy like in his last year of his deal? Trade him.

Take that for what it’s worth.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

31 years old? Major biceps injury coming back from? You expecting a raise? You know what Bellicheck does with a guy like in his last year of his deal? Trade him.

Such a dumb take to say he wants a raise. My understanding is he wants an extension, which is not a raise.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Incoming Gambo update....."They like Jones, a lot, but they were not thrilled with this attitude all last season...they expected more from him as a leader.....Burnsie..is it too much to ask?"

Burnsie...."You are 100% right...."

Wolf update "If I am Chandler Jones, I would show up and hit the pylons like a raged bull to help my coach, QB and defense during OTA.. Be the man you were born to be...."

Also called the 98.7 + Team PR play to cut down players who ever asks for a contract be it Mathieu, P2, Jones etc..

IMO, Jones contract should not be extended. It is too risky but we all know Cardinals PR team and 98.7 will do him dirty.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
98.7 and Wolf started the PR campaign against CJ. Standard Cardinals playbook. Do them dirty before they leave town.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard for me to say the Cards are mistreating someone when they put $51 million guaranteed dollars in their pocket.

Extending a player who is coming off injury and showed a possible decline when last he played is not a prudent risk IMO.

Love CJ but can’t sympathize with his position.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love how guys feel "unhappy" or "disrespected" when they are still under contract...a contract they happily signed just a few years back. SMH. Give me a freaking break. So, the team isn't rushing to extend you just yet...? It's not insulting for the team to be cautious moving forward, especially after a recent injury and a lot of missed playing time. Plenty of people would gladly trade places with them and their First World problems.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, ALL IN! There is no way CJ is going anywhere. It’s not a top priority in June to redo his contract.
As someone said, don’t Calais Campbell this guy. The design by adding Watt enhances the chance of CJ having a big year.

If Jones was a free agent and we brought him to the dessert today this board would be exploding with excitement.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Wolf forgets that BB traded CJ in his 2nd season...I don't think the biceps injury is too concerning. I mean, it's not like he suffered a major leg injury in the last year of his contract and still managed to get overpaid by his current team (looking at you Jerra).

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wolf forgets that BB traded CJ in his 2nd season...I don't think the biceps injury is too concerning. I mean, it's not like he suffered a major leg injury in the last year of his contract and still managed to get overpaid by his current team (looking at you Jerra).
I'm less worried about the bicep and more worried about his anemic production in the games leading up to the injury.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm less worried about the bicep and more worried about his anemic production in the games leading up to the injury.

He didn't get the sacks in 2020, but look at QB hits:

Even if you say he played in 5 games (got hurt earlyish IIRC in 5th game), he averaged 1.4 QB hits in 2020.

In his big sack season of 2019 he averaged 1.6, so not that really far off...and if you discount the 5th game of 2020, he averaged 1.75 QB hits per game in 2020.

I think he was also seeing way more double teams in 2020...and the crap coverage in the secondary and LB's didn't help his cause at all.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He didn't get the sacks in 2020, but look at QB hits:

Even if you say he played in 5 games (got hurt earlyish IIRC in 5th game), he averaged 1.4 QB hits in 2020.

In his big sack season of 2019 he averaged 1.6, so not that really far off...and if you discount the 5th game of 2020, he averaged 1.75 QB hits per game in 2020.

I think he was also seeing way more double teams in 2020...and the crap coverage in the secondary and LB's didn't help his cause at all.
good to know, I was already leaning towards it but now I’m firmly in the keep CJ camp and fortunately Cards seem to be there too.

the media stuff isn’t irrelevant, I’m confident he’ll be a cardinal and I’m stoked to have him back

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope this is not contract negotiation through the media.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me the right move is clearly to not extend him, and not trade him. Make him play out the contract and if he still can produce franchise him for one more year. There is no way it will be a good idea to pay him big money in three years anyway.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me the right move is clearly to not extend him, and not trade him. Make him play out the contract and if he still can produce franchise him for one more year. There is no way it will be a good idea to pay him big money in three years anyway.
From a business standpoint I'm agree
But Is not very smart to keep a player against his will , especially a personality like Chandler Jones

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not me. As much as I would like to say wait and see, elite pass rushers do not grow on trees. If he doesn't get another contract, he might not want to re-sign. I'm with BRR. Give him 2 more years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real simple - you franchise tag him.

You don't HAVE to sign a franchise tag if you are the player... the option is to sit out, but the optics would look just as bad for the Cards than it would for Jones if he did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose