Chandler Jones Extension Market

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the Cards' top priority will be extending Kyler Murray. Chandler Jones has gotten off to a blistering start. Projected LB franchise tag number is $17.9 mil.

T.J. Watt just re-set the market.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
IMO, he will get close to TJ in average, but will likely be a 3 year deal, with the 3rd year being option/voidable, for cap reasons. He won't get 4 years at his age, unless he takes a lower $ amount.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Worse case I want out after 2 years with a 31 year old.

3 years, 66 mil, 40m guaranteed
Likely would’ve been a similar contract prior to the season, not now.

They’re going to ask for something more like three for 80, 50 guaranteed.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Jones will be 32 when entering the '22 season. The key issue will be just how reasonable will he be?
The reality is that JJ Watt is the better Watt-comparison versus TJ. JJ recently recently turned 32... Chandler turns 32 in Feb, so at the start of the '22 season, Chandler will be a little older than JJ was at the start of this season...though that's probably immaterial.
But, JJ agreed to a very reasonable 2-year deal, with $23M guaranteed. I personally would be pleasantly surprised if Chandler agreed to a 2-year deal...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Jones will be 32 when entering the '22 season. The key issue will be just how reasonable will he be?
The reality is that JJ Watt is the better Watt-comparison versus TJ. JJ recently recently turned 32... Chandler turns 32 in Feb, so at the start of the '22 season, Chandler will be a little older than JJ was at the start of this season...though that's probably immaterial.
But, JJ agreed to a very reasonable 2-year deal, with $23M guaranteed. I personally would be pleasantly surprised if Chandler agreed to a 2-year deal...
The difference is JJ Watt is not the JJ Watt he was before. He still quite good. Outside of his bicep injury, there’s no evidence that CJ has dropped off at all.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The difference is JJ Watt is not the JJ Watt he was before. He still quite good. Outside of his bicep injury, there’s no evidence that CJ has dropped off at all.
Well, CJ did miss virtually the entire year last season... and of course, one game is never the basis for contract discussions. And JJ played an insane number of snaps last season and was double-teamed more than any other d-lineman.
I'm not sure I would agree that a 31-year old CJ is significantly more "CJ" as compared to a 31year-old JJ Watt still being "JJ Watt."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will definitely be smaller than TJ Watt, but more than if they would have extended him before Game 1.

3 year 70M with 45 in guarantees works for me.

If not, I'd franchise him, hell maybe even twice.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Calais stayed productive after 31 too. Chandler in all likelyhood the same. 3 year deal sounds right. I think the extension happens in the next few weeks assuming Chandler lights it up one more time.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way Jones played yesterday the time off he had due to injury appears to be a blessing. Not a curse. (For this season of course, not last season). His explosiveness off the ball yesterday was as great as it has ever been. Last year, he looked a tad off in those early games.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The way Jones played yesterday the time off he had due to injury appears to be a blessing. Not a curse. (For this season of course, not last season). His explosiveness off the ball yesterday was as great as it has ever been. Last year, he looked a tad off in those early games.
Methinks his he was dealing with the bicep issue earlier than we know and it finally became too much or got significantly worse.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
100%! Though, many said the same thing about JJ last season...and he settled for 2 years and $23M guaranteed.
I'm not saying CJ should totally equate to JJ, but I don't believe CJ should be valued that much differently than how JJ was valued. In fact, I would suggest that there is an immense likelihood of this year being CJ's pinnacle. That's not a stretch really...so, again, how reasonable will he be?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Methinks his he was dealing with the bicep issue earlier than we know and it finally became too much or got significantly worse.
Good pt. I was thinking same thing that he was playing through injury from beginning of last season

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Likely would’ve been a similar contract prior to the season, not now.

They’re going to ask for something more like three for 80, 50 guaranteed.

Cheaper to tag him twice

His age works against him. He has to balance what he wants against 2 tags. And if he drops off during year one or two of being tagged how much money he might lose.

Two years of the tag would be about 38 mil.

Keim is firmly in the driving seat with this deal. Chan is close enough to the end of his career to control him.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
100%! Though, many said the same thing about JJ last season...and he settled for 2 years and $23M guaranteed.
I'm not saying CJ should totally equate to JJ, but I don't believe CJ should be valued that much differently than how JJ was valued. In fact, I would suggest that there is an immense likelihood of this year being CJ's pinnacle. That's not a stretch really...so, again, how reasonable will he be?

No more "reasonable" than he has to be, which will be the market value given his production in 2021 and a reasonable expectation of what he could produce over "X" number of years. It's business... nothing personal, and if they can't find the sweet spot then the Cards can exercise their right to TAG or trade the asset. CJ is making $15.5m this season ($98m over his career) and the TAG or multiple TAGS would increase the wage substantially.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No more "reasonable" than he has to be, which will be the market value given his production in 2021 and a reasonable expectation of what he could produce over "X" number of years. It's business... nothing personal, and if they can't find the sweet spot then the Cards can exercise their right to TAG or trade the asset.
Of course... however, negotiations are just that, negotiating. If there weren't two sides with disparate views of "worth," there would be no negotiating.
Of course it's just business, however, in situations like this it's the player that most often takes these negotiations as "personal." Hoping CJ doesn't do that...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Too long... insanity
Guys play to an older age these days and his game is not based upon speed. Whatever you think he will lose in terms of athleticism, I don't believe it touches his productivity. You do a 4 year deal to spread the cap hit and have an ability to end it after 3 or extend him further at a lower number.

If we had a young pass rusher that we could count on, I get moving on, but we don't. Golden, Kennard and Jones. Gardeck doesn't count.

If we had young front 7 players who were dominant, I get it, but we don't.

If Wilson, Simmons, and Collins all work out, Chandler's deal is on it's last year or finished before you have to give any one of those guys a new deal. Watt, Phillips, Kennard, and Hicks are all off the books after next year and some of them may not make it that long.

You are essentially paying Hopkins, Budda, Hudson and Kyler, after next year. DJ is up for a new deal. Murphy will need a new deal. Pony up and keep your players unless we are tearing the whole thing down.

Imagine having this locked up through 2024.

QB - Murray
WR - Hopkins
LT - Humphries
C - Hudson
EDGE - CJones
ILB - Simmons
CB - Murphy
S - Baker

That isn't counting rookie deals for Collins and Wilson who look like they can be at least ok players. That is a core of players on a team that has struggled to draft quality players.