Chad Ford still likes us

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
Second to last question. I wonder if our ranking will change when we fill the rest of the roster with vet mins. We all know that off-season rankings have been proven to be the best predictors of success. ;) So far we have two F's and a #1 ranking. It's nice to know that those two extremes are well represented on this board.

Joel Chicago: Are the Bulls the Beast of the East now?

Chad Ford: Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Replacing Tyson Chandler with Ben Wallace is a big upgrade in my books and I loved their draft. However, let's not pencil them into the Eastern Conference crown just yet. The team still needs to find a consistent low post scorer -- neither Wallace or P. J. Brown fill that role. And other teams like the Pacers, Pistons and Cavs aren't done dealing yet. Did the Bulls updgrade? Absolutely. But the summer's not over yet.

Jason (Homer Glen, IL): Loul Deng, Ben Gordon, and Bulls first round pick next year (the one from the Knicks) for KG? Why wouldnt Mchale do this, they are not going anywhere in the next two years in the West.

Chad Ford: I think the Bulls went back one more time and offered Tyson Chandler, Luol Deng and the draft rights to Tyrus Thomas for KG and were rebuffed by the Wolves. I think it's a huge mistake for Kevin McHale. The Wolves aren't and won't be in contention next year and sooner or later, KG's going to demand a trade. When he does, the Wolves won't be able to get an offer like the one the Bulls gave them. A combo of Chandler, Thomas and Deng plus their first round pick Randy Foye would've given the Wolves one of the best young cores in the NBA. As it stands now? I think they'll be in the same spot as they were last year -- a lottery team.

DAN (FARRELL, PA): Did the Hornets make themselves better? If so, how much? It seems like they are getting bashed a lot.

Chad Ford: They made themselves a lot better in my opinion. They just dramatically overpaid to do it. But then again, so did the Bulls. The difference is that the Bulls are a player or two away from contending for the Eastern Conference crown. The Hornets? I think this makes them a playoff team, but only a seventh or eighth seed. Then again, the Hornets were so far under the cap that they've not even sniffing the luxury tax. So they can afford it. I do like the combo of Chris Paul, Desomond Mason, Stojakovic , David West and Chandler. They just need to add another swingman to the mix.

Andrew (Lansing, MI): Chad, Can the Pistons make a real attempt to complete a sign and trade for Al Harrington? Dale Davis, Alex Acker, and Piston's 1st round pick next year for Al? What about Bonzi wells?

Chad Ford: You've got to believe that Billy King has better offers. Teams like the Warriors, Knicks and Pacers are also after Harrington and have more to offer. Besides those salaries don't even come close to matching what Harrington wants as a free agent. I think the best the Pistons can do now is try to swap Davis and perhaps one of their first rounders next year for a scoring combo guard to help fill out their backcourt.

Chad Ford: But I don't think it will be Bonzi Wells. He too, is asking for too much cash.

Big Al (Atlanta): What do the Pacers have left to entice the Hawks to sign and trade me to Indiana? You know that's where I want to play!

Chad Ford: At this point you better hope a team comes up with a good offer. All the teams with cap room have spent their money leaving you dependent on Billy Knight -- and no one wants that. I think a team like the Pacers could offer a point guard like Jamaal Tinsley or a big like Jeff Foster and maybe a future first. I do think Indy would be the best fit. The Pacers could move Jermaine O'Neal to the five and put Harrington at the four, Danny Granger at the three, Stephen Jackson or Marquis Daniels at the two and Tinsley at the point. That's a pretty good team.

sal (thunder bay): Who won in the TJ Ford - Villeneuva trade? Do you see the Raps as playoff contenders? Thanks.

Chad Ford: Milwaukee -- and I'm not a big fan of Villanueva. I understand why Toronto traded him. They were stacked at his position, wanted to give more minutes to their No. 1 pick Andrea Barganani and, just as we predicted on draft night, stories are beginning to surface that Villanueva wasn't the easiest guy in the world to coach or get along with. So the Raptors traded him when his value was high. What I don't understand was trading him, straight up, for Ford. Ford did not have a great year last season. I think he's lost some of his speed -- the one thing that gave him a chance of being a good starting point guard. He can't shoot and his spinal injury makes him a medical risk. I know the Raptors were desperate for a point guard who pushed the ball -- but I think they overpaid for Ford. Then again, that seems to be the theme of free agency.

Glenn (Greenville SC): Enough specualting! I want to know where the Chad Ford "Crystal Ball" is saying Allen Iverson will play next season. (Your best guess will be sufficient)!

Chad Ford: In other words, you WANT me to speculate? I would watch Denver carefully. I think they're motivated to add AI and with the signing of Nene, can move one of their bigs -- either Camby or Kenyon Martin. They'd prefer Martin, but Camby has much more value. They'll probably need a three way deal to get it done, but I think it will be Denver or Boston that finds a way to get him.

Colin (Portland, OR): Please Chad, tell me what the Blazers are going to do about Darius Miles? Please tell me there are still teams out there that will take him? What teams might that be?

Chad Ford: They're trying like crazy to trade him ... but so far they're struggling to generate any interest. Paul Allen's decision to nix a deal that would've sent Miles and Theo Ratliff to the Knicks for an expiring contract look worse and worse everyday.

Oz (DC): Chad, why so quiet on the Wizards front? I read there might be a frton runner for Deshawn Stevenson, but besides that what will they do to address theiir weak front court?

Chad Ford: They do ... but how? The top free agent big men are all gone and unless the Wizards are serious about trading their core, they aren't getting a big man. I think their focus is on re-signing Jared Jeffries and adding another piece in the backcourt like Stevenson. However, I would overpay for DeShawn. He's worth three million a year -- at the most.

Brandon, Bay Area: Are the Warriors moving Troy Murphy? Also, is there much interest for Pietrus?

Chad Ford: They've talked to a number of teams about moving Murphy and have included Pietrus as a way of sweetening the deal. They had that offer on the table with Chicago for Chandler, but the Bulls decided to go with P. J. Brown because of the cap flexibility it gives them next summer. The Jazz have shown some interest in the past, but the truth is that they're running out of teams that would be willing to absorb that salary.

james (ocala fl): Is it true that Dolan has put a spending freeze on Isiah this summer?

Chad Ford: Sure looks that way. The Knicks have been eerily quiet in all of this and they've had opportunities -- from Ben Wallace to Al Harrington to Darius Miles. It looks like Dolan's going to force Isiah to play the hand he's dealt himself.

Jim (SA): Chad, What do my Spurs do now? And why would they go after Pryzbilla? Isn't he just Rasho, but younger?

Chad Ford: They play Tim Duncan at center -- where they should've played him the last couple of years. He can handle it, especially given the way the West is going. I think if they do that and play a little more up-tempo they'll be just as good as they always are.

Daniel (Honduras): Kirilenko, Okur, Boozer,Fisher, Ronnie Brewer: Looks pretty good on paper for Utah, with Harpring a robust 6th man. Back into the postseason for the Jazz in '07?

Chad Ford: I think so. They've had a nice off-season. I think they paid too much for Harpring and I think Derek Fisher is already way overpaid, but they needed a few vets to balance out their young guys. If they stay healthy I think they could be a fifth or sixth seed in the West.

Tiffany (Milwaukee, WI): Come on Chad, one Milwaukee question PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Larry Harris has stated that he has a number of offers for Jamaal Magloire, any rumors out there about who we could get for him? What about Josh Childress or Josh Smith? Sign and trade Al Harrington and Josh Childress? What about expanding the Houston/Memphis trade where we get Stromile Swift and Memphis gets Magloire? What do you think?

Chad Ford: Wow, Millwaukke fans are anxious. They're filling up my inbox. We know Magloire and possibly Mo Williams are still on the block. I think Memphis is a real possibility for Magloire with Swift a possibility to come back. Pacers are another one. They have a lot of assets they're willing to move that could help the Bucks.

Eric Minneapolis: Quickly Chad, Where does Mike James end up. He is meeting with Minn,Dal and Hou today. Does Minnesota have a shot?

Chad Ford: I think he's returning to Houston. He lives there, loves it there, and it sounds like they're willing to overpay him to come back. I think it's a mistake ... but teams like to burn cash this time of eyar.

keith(jacksonville, fl): is the lakers trying to do anything

Chad Ford: They just signed Vladimir Radmanovic and drafted Jordan Farmar. That's something. I thought it was a good move. They'll look at sign-and-trades for Devean George and possibly trading Chris Mihm. But I doubt it will get them much in return. Trading Lamar Odom still remains a possibility, though it's looking less and less likley by the day.

Jason (chicago): So finally John Paxson made a dumb move. Why in the name of breaking-up-dynasties is Jim Paxsononce again coming on board in chicago. Is this a case of brother helping brother?

Chad Ford: Yeah I saw that. Think John has been brilliant in Chicago. Jim in Cleveland? Not so much. I don't think owners should ever, under any circumstances, let GMs hire their relatives. That's true in almost any business but it should especially hold true here.

Matt (Santa Barbara): How do you see the West next year? I have them at- Mavs Suns Spurs Clippers Sacramento Houston Memphis Lakers or Sonics What do you think?

Chad Ford: It's really too early to be doing this. Lots of changes are still coming. But as of today:

1. Suns
2. Mavs
3. Spurs
4. Clippers
5 Jazz
6. Grizzlies
7. Rockets
8. Hornets

Chad Ford: I'm sure you want the East as well:

1. Heat
2. Bulls
3. Pistons
4. Nets
5. Cavs
6. Pacers
7. Magic
8. Bucks

Rick H. (Yakima, Wa.): As of today, who looks like the frontrunner for Greg Oden? I thinkWarriors, Sonics, Sixers, and Knicks all have good shots.

Chad Ford: Blazers ... I love what they did this summer, but the truth is that they're fielding a college team this year. Might be a really good one down the road, but next year I think they'll struggle.

2. Charlotte -- unless MJ decides to start spending some cash in free agency.

3. Seattle ... especially if they don't get the Chris Wilcox thing resolved.

4. Knicks ... of course Isiah would have to hand the pick over to the Bulls ...

Chad Ford: Got to run everyone. Fun chat. Let's do it again next week.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chad Ford: They play Tim Duncan at center -- where they should've played him the last couple of years. He can handle it, especially given the way the West is going. I think if they do that and play a little more up-tempo they'll be just as good as they always are.

This is kind of chilling, thinking about Duncan playing the middle and the Spurs pushing the tempo. I'm not sure if that makes them better or worse, but I think they could approach the Suns level of scoring if they wanted to. They have the backcourt to do it, while having a post-up game in the halfcourt.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
This is kind of chilling, thinking about Duncan playing the middle and the Spurs pushing the tempo. I'm not sure if that makes them better or worse, but I think they could approach the Suns level of scoring if they wanted to. They have the backcourt to do it, while having a post-up game in the halfcourt.

That's making a pretty big leap. Finley is really getting old--he had some decent games last season, but nothing spectacular. Bruce Bowen is old and will never be confused with a great offensive player. I like Tony Parker, and he probably has a little bit more ceiling to go, but I think Manu has topped out--he's a great player, but I'm not sure how much better he will get. Part of a great offense is a great defense, and without 2 7-footers in there, their defense will take a hit. I still think they'll be a strong team, but I think their glory years are over, and are ripe for the Suns and Mavs to stake a permanent claim at being better.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:

If Duncan plays center, the Spurs need a PF. Right now, it doesn't look like they'll get a good one in time for next season.

The Spurs don't have the distance shooting to play Suns basketball--that's what separates them from, say, Detroit. Plus, once they go small, teams will dump mismatches on Bruce Bowen like there's no tomorrow...the Clips could probably get away with putting Chris Kaman on Bowen if they felt like it.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
I find this discussion about whether the Spurs can run to be very odd. Didn't the Spurs outrun the Suns in the Western conference finals and score like 125 points a game during the series? It sure seems like they can run just fine if they choose to.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
se7en said:
I find this discussion about whether the Spurs can run to be very odd. Didn't the Spurs outrun the Suns in the Western conference finals and score like 125 points a game during the series? It sure seems like they can run just fine if they choose to.

Duncan has been having foot problems that have not been getting better.

In any case, the problem wasn't the Spurs running, it was that the Suns overall defense was so bad.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
se7en said:

I was thinking the same thing. With Tony Parker at the point guard position and Ginobilli on the wing and Tim Duncan staying back to pound the boards and throw out let passes the San Antonio Spurs will have no problem running. They might not run as much as the Phoenix Suns, but they can still push the tempo.

Joe

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I was thinking the same thing. With Tony Parker at the point guard position and Ginobilli on the wing and Tim Duncan staying back to pound the boards and throw out let passes the San Antonio Spurs will have no problem running. They might not run as much as the Phoenix Suns, but they can still push the tempo.

Joe

A lot will depend on who they get to play PF and I don't see Bowen as much of an open court threat. I'd also mention that this is a roster that is not getting younger.

Bowen - 35
Barry - 34
Finley - 33
Eric Williams - 34
Horry - 36

Yes, they can run sometimes. But I just don't see them trying to run a lot.