Celtics @ Suns 11-8-18

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Canaan reminded me of mike James last year he made some head scratching hero ball plays. Bridges should be in there.

Booker did his Booker thing and he was spectacular. Needed someone else to step up in the 4th. That looked like the Celtics team vs Booker.

Ayton was super passive tonight. EJ made several comments about how he should of just gone up with it.

I never expected us to win this game even up by 20. Hopefully they come out this agressive from now on

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
To be honest, I can see why Canaan has bounced around as a fringe NBA player. He is starting to remind me a lot of both James and Harrison - two other fringe NBA types who also seemed to regard themselves as better than they really were.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
To be honest, I can see why Canaan has bounced around as a fringe NBA player. He is starting to remind me a lot of both James and Harrison - two other fringe NBA types who also seemed to regard themselves as better than they really were.
Canaan is a g-league player at best.

JFC. Call Philly and get McConnell. And fire Igor

Errntknght

Reaction score
Crappy way to lose, especially with Marcus sticking the dagger in, but I think we have a starting line up which is a big step in the right direction. At least it could be, should be.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Rozier I wasn't impressed with if we were going to trade for him.
I liked Van Fleet on the Raptors the best so far.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This start of the season schedule, has to be one the hardest I have ever seen, outside of Dallas and the Nets we really should not even be mentioned as playing the other team. O well I guess another year of learning and high draft pick... I will start paying attention to college PG and Zion

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker's scoring was solid but he didn't have an assist since the middle of the 3rd quarter. I know he's not a PG but he plays that position for us occasionally and is our best playmaker. He had 9 in 2 1/2 quarters but 0 in the second half of the 3rd quarter, entire 4th, and overtime. I think not giving Ayton the ball in position to do something falls on him also. He did enough right that I don't blame him that much but he could have gotten away with scoring a few less in order to facilitate.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rozier I wasn't impressed with if we were going to trade for him.
I liked Van Fleet on the Raptors the best so far.

Absolutely would love VanVleet on this team. A lot of folks here wanted him this off-season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see this game as far more positive than negative. We have lots of reasons for hope but oh how I wish Josh had taken a step further in his career instead of completely falling apart.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker's scoring was solid but he didn't have an assist since the middle of the 3rd quarter. I know he's not a PG but he plays that position for us occasionally and is our best playmaker. He had 9 in 2 1/2 quarters but 0 in the second half of the 3rd quarter, entire 4th, and overtime. I think not giving Ayton the ball in position to do something falls on him also. He did enough right that I don't blame him that much but he could have gotten away with scoring a few less in order to facilitate.

Not all his fault, he set up more than a few wide open shots that went awry.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I can see that, but in that time frame we kept needing key baskets that he kept getting for us. I just don't think anyone on the team knows how to entry pass to a big man in the post.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I see this game as far more positive than negative. We have lots of reasons for hope but oh how I wish Josh had taken a step further in his career instead of completely falling apart.
I don't think he's fallen apart. He's developed a step back jumper that's almost money. I see all these articles, and listen to guys like EJ that are saying those flying around circus shots are his "game" but we all see him play better under control. It seems like he's got too many people in his ear telling him the wrong things.

Takeo

Reaction score
Ayton is a cream puff. He hasn’t impacted games. His numbers are good because of garbage time fourth quarters.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton can beat his man down the court and post low. We need to pass the ball to the wing for an entry pass and let Ayton blow up other teams. When Shaq was young he was fouling out front lines on teams every game. Then Kobe would just finish them off from the outside in the fourth.

the problem is a combination of:
1. no one knows how to get the ball to Ayton down low
2. Ayton doesn't know how to get in position to best receive it down low
3. the coach is not setting up plays to take advantage of Ayton down low
4. Ayton is not aggressive enough to power it up like Amare used to, even though
he's easily as strong, his footwork is as good, he can dribble as good.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
the problem is a combination of:
1. no one knows how to get the ball to Ayton down low
2. Ayton doesn't know how to get in position to best receive it down low
3. the coach is not setting up plays to take advantage of Ayton down low
4. Ayton is not aggressive enough to power it up down low like Amare used to, even though
he's easily as strong, his footwork is as good, he can dribble as good.
I agree with all of this, except I think if he consistently gets it down low, you will see some high percentage scoring!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he's fallen apart. He's developed a step back jumper that's almost money. I see all these articles, and listen to guys like EJ that are saying those flying around circus shots are his "game" but we all see him play better under control. It seems like he's got too many people in his ear telling him the wrong things.

Maybe but as far as results go, it looks like he's fallen apart. If he were the Jackson we were all hoping to see, this team would be a lot more competitive despite their overall youth and the disappointing veteran play.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I do understand that, but I want to see Ayton being aggressive, playing hard, calling for the ball, backing someone down to the rim in crunch time. I don't care if he misses the shot, just want to see the effort. I don't think you have to be a veteran to want to win.

Not in his DNA. Not in this team’s DNA.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It seems to me that Ayton has often tried to get established in the post in many of these games, but starts to drift outside more as the games go on... possibly from frustration at being ignored and shut out of the offense otherwise. That's either on the coaching or the lack of decent PG play... or possibly both.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i believe the criticism of Ayton is justified
but i also believe if he was being coached by a Popovich, Riley, or Phil Jackson
there would be less to criticize now, and progressively less throughout the season

as of today, there is more to criticize than when he started the season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So, the past few seasons, our lack of team success has me rooting for things like, Booker getting on the All-Star team, winning three point shot, Ayton winning rookie of the year, etc. Maybe TJ can turn some heads for most improved.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We saw a lot of great things for 3 quarters. Sucks they couldn't pull it out. That sucks, and plenty of blame from top to bottom. I said to my son "Book has to hit both of these free throws to keep it a 3 possession game." He didn't and had two costly TOs in the last couple of minutes. I don't like him handling the ball at the end. Makes it way too easy to defend.
The loss sucks but I still saw progress.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
i believe the criticism of Ayton is clearly justified
but i also believe if he was being coached by a Popovich, Riley, or Phil Jackson
there would be less to criticize now, and progressively less throughout the season

as of today, there is more to criticize than when he started the season
You kind of address what I see. We totally misuse this guy and he still gets double double despite Igor wanting him to be a ten assist player, LOL! I agree those coaches would be feeding the beast in the low post all game!