Carmelo Anthony busted for DUI

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Freedom is freedom. But we are working on getting rid of it by having so many laws we will legislate ourselves into a perfect society that nobody wants to live in.

We're almost there.

When you have a son or daughter or family member killed by someone driving down the road smoking their cigars and talking on two cellphones, you may change your view.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Let me just say that i once payed a very high price for my stupidity concerning a DUI. I personally find the difference between cell phone stupidity & drinking & driving to be appropriately exaggerated.
As i mentioned before, they are both potentially equally as disastrous, but i believe that if you were to take a poll(maybe one of us should) on asking people whether they'd rather be stuck on the road surrounded by distracted cell phone talkers or drunk drivers the results would show that people have enough common sense to realize the lesser of two evils in terms of their safety.

In general i agree... however, think about this. You have 2 beers and are at .09, legally drunk. There is a big difference between that person and the one who is 2.0. The former will maybe even be a little more careful because hes had 2 beers and knows he could get in trouble if he makes a mistake and the latter is all over the road not even knowing he's driving. The whole DUI thing is very broad and all encompassing. One of the few crimes your presumed guilty and have to prove your innocence. Cell phones are definetly a problem. Kids nowdays are driving and texting. It's scary!

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
No i believe it. Not just because i've heard the facts either. I've been living in AZ for 38 yrs and the climate has changed drastically since the mid-70's. If you continue to put more people who drive more cars, who use more air polluting products, who scrape away more forests, common sense will tell you that the Earth isn't going to respond well to it.

Or maybe the earth is going through one of its cyclic motions between ice ages over millions of years and what we do in our little speck of time really means little. *snicker*

OP
OP
Cheesewater

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Or maybe the earth is going through one of its cyclic motions between ice ages over millions of years and what we do in our little speck of time really means little. *snicker*

What are you talking about? The earth is only about 6,000 years old.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
I applaud Carmelo Anothony. Who else could get a DUI and turn it into a discussion on Global Warming and distracted cell phone drivers? This is a man that cares about the issues!

If anything the nuggests should get an extra game this season.

:)

Now that was funny!!!!

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Good point, Eric. Drivers talking on cellphones are the cause of many dangerous maneuvers on the road, I see their lack of awareness just about every day. The only reason that they arent illegal cross the country yet is the lobbyists and their lawyers. Having driven a motorcycle alot in traffic when I was younger, I know whether the drivers around me are even aware I am there(survival instinct). About 90% of people talking on cellphones are not aware of whats around them. DWI may kill more, but I am sure many people get killed and hurt by drivers using cellphones. I have 2-3 near misses every year by drivers who werent aware of their intended exit and swerve across two lanes without so much as a signal. I have gotten to the point -that at least in the daylight- I know whos on a phone around me and get away from them asap.

Im sure the stats show that DUI kills more. However, after a fatal accident, you have the person sitting there drunk. Its a given. You are not going to have a person saying, oh im sorry i killed that guy, i was on the phone. I am sure a lot of accidents have happened attributed to phones, reading, the classic "putting on makup" etc. that are never doccumented as such.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
In general i agree... however, think about this. You have 2 beers and are at .09, legally drunk. There is a big difference between that person and the one who is 2.0.
The main difference is that if your BAC is 2.0, you would be dead. Driving a car is the least of your worries.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
I think the problem is drunk off your ass driving causes accidents. The stricter DUI laws haven't eliminated drunk driving accidents. Why? Because accidents happen, alcohol or not, in broad daylight where neither drivers have consumed any alcohol.

Any accident where the person has alcohol in his system is counted as alcohol involved. That may or may not be relevant to the cause.

They could pass laws that say anything above .00 is DUI and there would still be accidents all day and night by people with .00 blood alcohol content.

The laws today only get people arrested for DUI at a lower b.a.c. level.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Im sure the stats show that DUI kills more. However, after a fatal accident, you have the person sitting there drunk. Its a given. You are not going to have a person saying, oh im sorry i killed that guy, i was on the phone. I am sure a lot of accidents have happened attributed to phones, reading, the classic "putting on makup" etc. that are never doccumented as such.

good point, agreed! I am not a fan of cell phone use when driving. It should be illegal, it doesnt need to kill as many as DWI to be too dangerous to be legal. Cell phone use appears to be the biggest problem on the road during my daytime commute, much worse than aggressive driving.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno bro, i once made it from Old town Scottsdale to Gilbert on a .264 BAC.

However, it seems that some here would have felt safer if i'd have been yapping away on my cellphone,clean & sober.

Uhm, yeah. Count me in on the latter.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i live in a college town, flagstaff.

i get sick of the stupid arse girls driving their civics & yapping on the phone.
these stupid kids around here cut you off, there's no traffic like the phoenix area.
you just have to wait a couple of extra seconds, but yet they still pull out in front of you.

sorry, had to vent!!

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there's no talk of old people driving??

dont get me started on that too.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm driving right now. Anyone got a problem with that?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It must be the "Good 'ole boys syndrome" that has certain posters here siding up with each other because IMO it lacks common sense. Maybe ya'll don't own cell phones or something....or maybe ya'll been driving with a comfortable buzz on for years and have gotton very good at it.....??? I don't know.
Drunk driving(in this state especially) should be more of a concern to ya'll than the cell phone problem(which IS a serious problem in itself too).
I'll kindly get off this ludicrous argument before i get banned for @%!*.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort