Carlos Quinton

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Quentin was a #1 draft pick who hit at every level. The Diamondbacks were not patient with him and instead signed a journeyman to a 30 million dollar contract instead of having faith in Carlos. They are now paying the price and will have to trade more players to get another outfielder.

This weekend my relatives were talking about giving up and getting rid of Upton and Young Diamondback fans never learn.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Getting rid of Drew would be fine by me -- we should have taken Pedroia, as I said at the time. Upton needs some attitude adjustment to go with all that talent, but it probably won't happen here.

Some prospects you can be pretty sure about after watching them carefully through college and the minors. Several of us have said for years that Conor Jackson and Carlos Quentin were going to be great hitters, in very different ways, and Carlos would be an outstanding outfielder. The ONLY question was whether the inconsistent handling of young players and their total mismanagement once they get up here would mess their heads and confidence up too badly.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its pretty funny how the two biggest ASFN whipping boys last season are now turning in fine performances. Too bad one of them is wearing a different uniform (at least they got a piece to trade for Haren though). Good thing Diamondback management didn't jump on to the Trade Jackson bandwagon that kept popping up.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Its pretty funny how the two biggest ASFN whipping boys last season are now turning in fine performances. Too bad one of them is wearing a different uniform (at least they got a piece to trade for Haren though). Good thing Diamondback management didn't jump on to the Trade Jackson bandwagon that kept popping up.
Conor Jackson has become, of course, the most consistent and dependable hitter on the team.

But at 1B, he has been and probably always be a sub-par fielder because of his seemingly lackadaisical attitude in the field.

We've seen a different Conor Jackson in LF. I believe we should look for a lefty, cleanup caliber 1B. But that would mean moving Chad Tracy and Eric Byrnes.

Tracy could probably be traded. What about Byrnes? Are we stuck with him?

HooverDam

Reaction score
I believe we should look for a lefty, cleanup caliber 1B. But that would mean moving Chad Tracy and Eric Byrnes.

Tracy could probably be traded. What about Byrnes? Are we stuck with him?

Agreed, however, I don't think thats a realistic thing to hope for. I don't know who would want to take on Byrnes' deal, though I'd love it if the Snakes could move it. At very most I imagine the D'backs would be able to get a 1st base prospect for those two. Maybe if there's a team that feels like picking up Tracy at the deadline gives them a better shot at the playoffs, the D'backs could work out a deal with them, though I don't know who that could be.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carlos hit two home runs today(#25 & #26), the second being a 3-run homer in the 8th to put the White Sox ahead as they beat Texas 10-8. To think he should be our starting left fielder if it wasn't for Eric Byrnes.:bang:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He just hit #27. Also, Carlos has 78 rbi's.

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
Who knew that Quentin would have hit that well here or would have stayed healthy, either? He went to the White Sox and received PROPER instruction. The only thing he was mastering here was making visits to the DL.

Now get ready for this, from 8/2/07 on mlb.com after Carlos was placed on the DL due to, of all things, a hamstring injury ...
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070802&content_id=2125532&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari
"Obviously luck has not gone his way," Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes said. "He's a guy that cares very much about his performance and the team's performance. He just seems to be the guy that can't catch a break this year."

Despite his struggles this year, Byrnes said Quentin remains in the organization's long-term plans.

"No doubt," Byrnes said. "Very, very good player. Other than this year, when some things worked against him, he's been a guy that's always hit."

Nobody expected what has happened to either player to happen this year.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Who knew that Quentin would have hit that well here or would have stayed healthy, either? He went to the White Sox and received PROPER instruction. The only thing he was mastering here was making visits to the DL.
Now get ready for this, from 8/2/07 on mlb.com after Carlos was placed on the DL due to, of all things, a hamstring injury ...
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070802&content_id=2125532&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari
"Obviously luck has not gone his way," Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes said. "He's a guy that cares very much about his performance and the team's performance. He just seems to be the guy that can't catch a break this year."

Despite his struggles this year, Byrnes said Quentin remains in the organization's long-term plans.

"No doubt," Byrnes said. "Very, very good player. Other than this year, when some things worked against him, he's been a guy that's always hit."

Nobody expected what has happened to either player to happen this year.

In fairness, it was only last year that he was consistently on the DL. The year before was his rookie year and he wasn't played that consistently.

As far as the org. being committed to him....:rolleyes: ya. They did not need to move him in order to pull of that Haren deal. That's bogus. They really blew this one.

As far as either player, your referring to EB I guess. From the playoffs last year, you could tell that he wasn't much of a money player or really clutch. The org. should have evaluated that a little and given Quentin the benifit to prove himself when healthy. Even with us he would have what.... 20 HR's and 60 RBI's by now!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Tell you who just got stronger -- White Sox picked up Ken Griffey Jr for CF for a reliever, and former DBacks farmhand 2B Danny Richar. Nick Swisher moves to 1st base, and Konerko gets a bench role.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carlos hit #31 tonight against Boston. By the way AZZenny, I thought you liked Boston since Curt went there.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I grew up with Boston. I hate the MFY, and always will. But I was never the huge Curt fan, here or there. I was more for Boston because of Dustin Pedroia, whom I wanted us to draft (and we should have) instead of Drew. But Carlos vs Pedroia? Carlos all the way.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carlos hit #32 today. I hope he hits 50 this year just to show the Diamondbacks how dumb they were to trade him and sign Eric Byrnes.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the point of continuing this thread?

:yeahthat:

It is like a bad breakup that you never get over and you keep hoping they will change their mind and come back. In this case, every time Carlos hits a home run, it is the same as seeing your ex with someone else and wishing that were you. It is ok, because I hear that fans of the Tigers still use Karim Garcia's name in vain every time someone brings up Gonzo.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Some of us like this thread. Those who find it unpleasant are welcome not to look at it. It's that easy.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what purpose?

There are some people here who have followed Carlos and CoJack since they were first-round picks. We have talked about their minor league progress and couldn't wait until both starred for the Diamondbacks.

It didn't take a brain surgeon to see that Carlos was going to be a very good player based on his numbers from college and in the minors, except for guys in the Diamondbacks front office. If they did, they would of been more patient with Carlos, just like they were with Jackson. Maybe they got rid of him because they didn't draft him and really believed that Byrnes was the face of the franchise.

Any way, I will always pull for Carlos and hope he shows the Diamondbacks they made a huge mistake, which he already has. By the way, Eric Byrnes has never hit 30 homers or driven in 90 runs in a year, something Carlos has already done with seven weeks left. $30 million dollars spent wisely.:mad:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The following Carlos is fine. The comment how how stupid the front office is on every post is childish and assine.

shoewizard

Reaction score
what an excellent post this was.....On April 7th too.
Carlos Quentin -- has a number of fans here who are watching him in Chicago with high hopes for his future; I know some of us were totally bummed Eric Byrnes was given that ridiculous contract since it meant CQ had to be moved. Moorad strikes again.

In double-A I think it was, Carlos hit the second longest HR recorded in the league (after Mike Piazza). He was streaky at the plate, though. He has no fear of being HBP, and his OBP reflected that. He's fast and accurate as a right fielder, and we felt like we had finally found our long-term answer for RF. Sigh. But no, we move Justin Upton from SS to CF to RF against his wishes and make our natural RF a bench player (as if that would help his injured shoulder or his confidence...)

CQ is very smart, polite, introverted, and unfortunately, extremely self-critical. Many of us were really hoping he'd see a sports psychologist, because between his injuries and the screwy way the D-Backs 'develop' new talent (see: Justin Upton, Conor Jackson) you could tell he was getting very frustrated and discouraged. So despite our unhappiness to lose him, there was no question he needed and deserved a new environment. Our GM hinted at that, and CQ said so himself. Keeping him here fourth in line for the OF would have been criminal. He's ready to either prove he's got it, or not. I hope he explodes on the scene for you guys.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn