Cards Trade for T Gorin from Pats

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was right, but I was wrong.

I just rewatched the game tape. Gorin did, in fact, do something that caught my eye.

Except - he was the dude who committed the false start penalty inside our one yard line in the second half. (Guess he caught Belicheck's eye, too).

On a brighter note - Gorin played most of the second half at the LT position (jersey #76). Except for that one miscue, he looked good - pass protected well against our pass rush off the edge (squaring up nicely) and, in one instance, sliding over smoothly to pick up a pass rusher who was handed off to him in blitz pickup adjustment.

Interesting that he was playing LT. Anyone know if RT is his more natural position?

Note - He's already listed on our roster - jersey #72.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
I love this move. Even when Ross was healthy, our RT spot was described (I think by Hardy Brown) as "a freeway to the quarterback".

"Solid"? "Adequate"? Decent run blocker? All for the price of a conditional pick?

Now what I want to know is: does any team have any "solid/adequate" linebackers that can also be had for a conditional pick?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
A decent (call it average) OT is the hardest player to aquire in the NFL, either by trade, FA, or draft.

How anyone could be negative about this move by the Cardinals is beyond my understanding.

Just another indication that this is not the same ol' Cardinals; because if it were the team would have stood pat and not aquired a RT they could make an acceptable deal for!

Well put. My sentiments exactly...

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Interesting that he was playing LT. Anyone know if RT is his more natural position?

Hmm, I had just assumed he would play RT seeing as this is our biggest need. The move doesn't make as much sense ifGorin was going to play LT, unless the Cards are planning on doing what some on the board have suggested: Shifting Leonard Davis to guard.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great pickup for depth and immediate need. And the compensation of a 7th or 6th rounder is fantastic.

:thumbup:

That's the kind of stuff I want to see. See problem, try to solve problem. Not see problem, ignore problem.

Plus he gets into camp with a couple of weeks left to get the system before opening weekend.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice I like this trade like everone else or mostly everyone has said any depth to our weak oline is good now lets see what this guy can do on the field he has to better then wakefield and whoever else were throwing out their.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

He has played LT but RT is his natural position and where 99% of his success has been at thus far.

He was tried out at LT becuase the Pats are already set at RT.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
It's a trade that makes sense for the Pats. Nick Kaczur (the guy who filled in for Matt Light) will be the new RT and if the reports about O'Callaghan are true then Gorin is 3rd string, so they get a pick for someone who was on the fringe of the roster. Now for us, I love this move. Gorin is the guy who allowed the Pats to take Ashworth off the field and play him at FB and blocking TE. Gorin is a better pass blocker than most people think (just what we need at RT) and is a pretty decent run blocker. This is an excellent move.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
As hard as it was I watched saterdays game and he was playing LT. He was a sold run blocker but wasnt so hot on pass blocking. But he is still an upgrade for this team.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
en fuego said:
It's funny how one man's junk is another man's treasure. Here are some of the comments from patriotsplanet.com:

"...and that is why the Arizona Cardinals are the Arizona Cardinals."

Funny -- from the fans of the team that gave the Cardinals a third round draft choice for Duane Starks.

In all fairness, after Saturday night's game that comment is understandable.

I'm pleased as punch with the acquisition. A 7th for a guy to push Oliver Ross, and not hurry him back, is a very good thing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:
In all fairness, after Saturday night's game that comment is understandable.

I'm pleased as punch with the acquisition. A 7th for a guy to push Oliver Ross, and not hurry him back, is a very good thing.

Yeah, this is a great move for depth alone, and when you add in what we gave up for it (a seventh where we got a "standout" like Navarre) and that it will give us a guy who CAN start and HAS in the past for a top flight team while the "starter" in Ross isn't rushed back and that will push him for PT, then it is a fantastic move by the front office.

One of the best moves they could have made. To know the Cowboys were trying to get him too just adds :thumbup: to the move.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
The condition is the number of false starts he commits.

Actually, if he proves to be a Pro Bowl RT, I'd give up our 2nd rounder for him!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would say, no matter what, that he is better than Bridges.But, that's not saying a whole lot.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
The Ghosts of Shelton and Clement are haunting this team...:D

i don't think so ....he is a RT and was in fact tried at LT....he played a good game against us on Sat and is a steady guy who is a marked improvement over what we have tried before....we won't be disappointed...he played RT all of last year for the Pats....11 games 8 starts....

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
This was on the Patriots Planet forum. Thought it was funny.
You must be registered for see images attach

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cardiac said:
the Cards coaches are also concerned about the lack of talent we have on the O-line (OT). The QB pressures and lack of rushing attack can't be fixed with Wakefield or Bridges.

Loney has spent enough time with this line (OT's) to know the talent just isn't here.

G's are not going to let this O-line kill us this year if they can help it.

Gorin doesn't sound like the long term answer but as many of us have stated we just need this line to be average for the team to do well. Sounds like average was just added to the roster and saddly enough I'm pretty excited by that.

Sometimes an individual player may look very average but put him with the right guys on the line and he will rise to the occasion. The OL operates on a team concept and the more they all work together and learn each other habits the better they become. We rarely started the same guys on the OL last year. If we can keep the same guys together most of the season we will be a leg up on last year. We are still a work in progress but this guy is not going to make us anything but better. Maybe not a lot better but better nevertheless.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
john h said:
We are still a work in progress but this guy is not going to make us anything but better. Maybe not a lot better but better nevertheless.

well stated!!! i hate to think of joining the step bandwagon, but this weeks game is going to be very important to the team and certainly his well being!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard