Cards Trade for T Gorin from Pats

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I'm sorry but Gorin is average at best..... I used to live with a Purdue homer in college and I saw a lot of him

Some people just won't be happy unless we trade for Walter Jones or Orlando Pace...........

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
solid move - anything to try and get Bridges off the field and Wakefield off the team is good by me.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
G&G are doing something to upgrade our biggest problem. Kudos for that.

Gorin isn't a great player, but he's a very,very good player for depth and he could challege for the starting job. Gorin is a decent starter.

I like this pick up. Unrealistic that we could acquire anybody better than Gorin.

I really don't care how much we had to pay. I look at this logically...
Gorin is the guy that started 18 games at RT the last two seasons when Ashworth was down.There wasn't any significant drop-off between the two on the field. Seattle paid Ashworth $4.5M a year. If that's the price for a decent starter at RT, then giving up even a 3rd rounder would be a steal.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If the 7th or conditional 6th is the correct deal, then that isnt a bad deal at all.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Redheart said:
Thin at offensive line, Cardinals trade for Pats' GorinBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Gorin
Moving to bolster their offensive line, and to compensate for the absence of starting right tackle Oliver Ross, the Arizona Cardinals on Monday acquired four-year veteran Brandon Gorin from the New England Patriots, ESPN.com has learned.

It was not yet known what the Cardinals surrendered in terms of compensation.

Arizona has been actively seeking to acquire a veteran offensive tackle and had recent conversations with a number of teams before striking the deal with the Patriots on Monday afternoon. The projected starter, Ross is expected to miss 2-4 more weeks after undergoing surgery for a torn meniscus in his right knee.

In last weekend's preseason game, three-year veteran Jeremy Bridges, who is more suited to playing guard, was the starter at right tackle.

Gorin, 28, will provide the Cardinals an experienced player at the position and will reduce the urgency to rush Ross back into action. The former Purdue standout has appeared in 31 games, with 18 starts. Although he played sparingly early in his career, appearing in just six games in his first two seasons, Gorin started 10 games at right tackle in 2004 and eight games in 2005.

Originally chosen by the San Diego Chargers in the seventh round of the 2001 draft, he spent his rookie year on the team's practice squad, then was released in the summer of 2002. He was on the New England practice squad that year before making the active roster in 2003.

The 6-foot-6, 308-pound Gorin is a solid run-blocker and has improved his pass-blocking skills over the last two seasons.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Even if he's average, he's better than any of your "depth" players.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gorin doesn't sound like the long term answer but as many of us have stated we just need this line to be average for the team to do well. Sounds like average was just added to the roster and saddly enough I'm pretty excited by that.[/quote]

hey, he might be...a good OL who is not a rare standout...takes three years to mature and learn the game....as you said all we have to be is average....if he is average right now he is light years ahead of what we have seen there so far this year...you knew they had to do something there is no time to wait and have to give the guy a few games to get with the program...good move!!!!

Reaction score
A decent (call it average) OT is the hardest player to aquire in the NFL, either by trade, FA, or draft.

How anyone could be negative about this move by the Cardinals is beyond my understanding.

Just another indication that this is not the same ol' Cardinals; because if it were the team would have stood pat and not aquired a RT they could make an acceptable deal for!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BACH said:
Gorin isn't a great player, but he's a very,very good player for depth and he could challege for the starting job. Gorin is a decent starter.

I like this pick up. Unrealistic that we could acquire anybody better than Gorin....Gorin is the guy that started 18 games at RT the last two seasons when Ashworth was down.There wasn't any significant drop-off between the two on the field. Seattle paid Ashworth $4.5M a year.
As painful as it might be, I suggest we all turn on our DVR's and rewatch Saturday's game.

I don't remember what it was specifically, but after one play I remember thinking to myself, it's too bad we don't have someone like that Gorin guy." Something caught my attention - I don't remember what, but the guy impressed me.

Late Breaking - Kent Somers is quoted by KFFL as saying the compensation is for a 7th round pick next year that could become a 6th pick if the kid plays well enough.

Last edited:

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Brandon Gorin has done an adequate job for the Pats. I'm surprised the Pats traded him, unless their 5th rounder Ryan O'Callahan is who they're going with at RT. He's probably a lot better than what we've been seeing at RT for the last couple of weeks. At least, I hope so.
We do not know what the trade was for, but a sixth rounder sounds about right. He was referred to as a 7th round steal by the writer Conner Byrne.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
:raccoon:

:bday:

finally!

even if he doesnt start, or ross beats him out when he comes back, he's the best backup at OT we have!

great move

:raccoon:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
It's funny how one man's junk is another man's treasure. Here are some of the comments from patriotsplanet.com:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]"This is great news. Its not often that losing a player makes your team stronger
You must be registered for see images
"
[/FONT]

"YES!!!

"

"To steal a line from FSNE tonight......what the hell could Arizona have seen Saturday night to warrant trading for Gorin?
"

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]"...and that is why the Arizona Cardinals are the Arizona Cardinals."[/FONT]

Reaction score
From the Boston Globe:

August 21, 2006
Gorin traded

The Patriots have traded offensive tackle Brandon Gorin to the Arizona Cardinals today. The Patriots receive a conditional draft choice.
Agent Joe Linta, who represents Gorin, described the Patriots' approach as opportunistic.
"They're enhancing the value for the Patriots, getting what they can get, but at the same time giving Brandon a chance to compete for a starting job," he said.
Linta also represents center Ross Tucker, who the Patriots traded to the Cleveland Browns for a conditional draft choice. Much like Gorin, Tucker was traded to a team where he had a chance to compete for a starting job.
The 6-foot-6, 308-pound Gorin has played in 39 games, with 23 starts. He's primarily been a right tackle, but has also seen time on the left side.​

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Here is his cap info and its pretty minimal:

2006 - $585,000
2007 - $700,000

No bonus - Already paid by NE.

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
This is good. For a seventh/sixth depending, we get more depth on the line, with a backup who knows how to play tackle. I never put much stock in these "versatile" guys who could play all across the line. How come the versatile guys aren't going to the Pro Bowl? Maybe this will give Brown someone better to try and gel with on the left side.

Question remains: is Step "average" enough for us to be as successful as we need to be running the ball?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I haven't even got Madden 07 yet and the roster is already out of date
:(

lol dont worry, you wont want to start a cards franchise until the season starts and you have the gameday roster anyway

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
ChandlerCard said:
Question remains: is Step "average" enough for us to be as successful as we need to be running the ball?
As long as Step is on the bench where he belongs the OLine will be improved...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear Gorin is a heck of a tennis player, supposed to have a great serve.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe getting a fresh start with a new team will be what he needs to step his play up. We may be able to get this pick back by trading someone else b4 the next draft for the same pick we gave up for him too. I'm glad we made it. I like that the FO is being agressive and trying to put a winning team on the field.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It's funny how one man's junk is another man's treasure. Here are some of the comments from patriotsplanet.com:

"This is great news. Its not often that losing a player makes your team stronger"

Okay -- thats just stupid. I could understand --"hey, we got a seventh rounder for a player we would have cut"

"...and that is why the Arizona Cardinals are the Arizona Cardinals."

Funny -- from the fans of the team that gave the Cardinals a third round draft choice for Duane Starks.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
For what its worth, the Sporting News has Gorin rated as a "solid" in the scale of Elite, Solid, Adequate and Fringe

For comparison: L Davis is Solid, Wells is Adequate, Step is Fringe (as well as Leckey), M Brown is Adequate and Ross is Adequate

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Funny -- from the fans of the team that gave the Cardinals a third round draft choice for Duane Starks.

That's some funny stuff.