Cards Sign DT Justin Jones

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I still would like a draft a tackle early but glad we made some moves to improve this part of the team.
100%. The interior of this defense was so extremely bad last year. I'm very encouraged that we're not going to be discussing a Leki Fotu-Rashard Lawrence competition for starting IDL this year.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty much everything in free agency is an overpay unless the guy has injury issues or a massive down year.
It’s no wonder parents lose their minds at youth sporting events. Life changing money for regular dudes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super Bowl champs sign Chris Jones.
Cardinals sign Justin Jones. Seems about right.
Chris Jones and Pat Mahomes on the other side…. We need our guy to be our Pat Mahomes.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how you feel about the Jordan Phillips contract. We signed Phillips to a 3-year, $30 million contract with $14.5 million guaranteed after an outlier season when he had 9.5 sacks and 20 pressures.

I don't think you need a stud on the DL in this defense. At least not to get where we're planning to go this year. We're gonna have to develop our edge rushers in-house.
What if I don’t care about Jordan Phillips contract?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Depends on how you feel about the Jordan Phillips contract. We signed Phillips to a 3-year, $30 million contract with $14.5 million guaranteed after an outlier season when he had 9.5 sacks and 20 pressures.

I don't think you need a stud on the DL in this defense. At least not to get where we're planning to go this year. We're gonna have to develop our edge rushers in-house.
To compete you definitely do, especially without a hint of a pass rush. But, yeah, the question is, are we trying to compete this year, or was it always a 3-year (minimum) plan?

Stout

Reaction score
I think the concept right now is to fill the defense with capable NFL caliber players. The draft will fill the rest.
Seems to be. My thing is, that lowers DL as a priority for Monti in the draft, which drastically lowers the ability to draft said stud that this defense sorely needs. We have nothing across the front 7 right now but hope as far as getting after the QB with consistency.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What if I don’t care about Jordan Phillips contract?

Then that post must've been very confusing to you.

Seems to be. My thing is, that lowers DL as a priority for Monti in the draft, which drastically lowers the ability to draft said stud that this defense sorely needs. We have nothing across the front 7 right now but hope as far as getting after the QB with consistency.

I dunno. You probably need 5-6 IDL going into a season. We have three competent NFL players at that position under contract, plus a few lottery ticket types who will be happy to stick on a roster.

I don't think we're blocked from selecting even two IDL. I think we're much more likely to invest in an Edge player, though.

Stout

Reaction score
I certainly hope they don’t rule it out. We all witnessed first hand how quickly the front seven can get decimated. Knowing you are a Penn State fan you’ve probably seen him more than others, what are your thoughts on Johnny Newton?
Haven't seen enough of him, but if he can get us inside push, I'd be all for it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I dunno. You probably need 5-6 IDL going into a season. We have three competent NFL players at that position under contract, plus a few lottery ticket types who will be happy to stick on a roster.

I don't think we're blocked from selecting even two IDL. I think we're much more likely to invest in an Edge player, though.
Considering the scarcity of first round DT's it seems these two guys open the possibility for Verse or Turner with that 27 pick...maybe with a small move up

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you walking around thinking about Jordan Phillips' contract? Who cares?!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I think about most:

1) The Roman Empire
2) Whether I could land a 747 with help from the control tower
3) If Kyler Murray can dunk a basketball
4) How Steve Keim could have paid Jordan Phillips all that money
I’ve thought about #2 often…. And replace #1 with WWII history… :)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Does it lower the priority or does it let Monti stay true his draft board and not force need?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What I think about most:

1) The Roman Empire
2) Whether I could land a 747 with help from the control tower
3) If Kyler Murray can dunk a basketball
4) How Steve Keim could have paid Jordan Phillips all that money
Ooooooo.....eerily similar

Totally_Red