Cards Sign DT Justin Jones

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
On the face of it, it's a good signing. Same with the other DT. The problem is...where is the stud on this DL? We need impact players on the D. Definitely more hope that this guy provides that, but is he a game-changing stud? We shall see. Do we still draft a DT high? We shall see.

Anyway, for the signing, seems like a decent one.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the face of it, it's a good signing. Same with the other DT. The problem is...where is the stud on this DL? We need impact players on the D. Definitely more hope that this guy provides that, but is he a game-changing stud? We shall see. Do we still draft a DT high? We shall see.

No, we aren't drafting a DT high with Stills and these 2 signings. A DE perhaps.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Justin Jones PFR page.

Another professional IDL who is going to eat up a ton of snaps and not be embarrassing. His knockdowns and pressures in 2023 are significant outliers from his previous five years of production. This is probably the riskiest signing of the free agency so far in that he's the least likely to meet or outperform this contract.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Jones PFR page.

Another professional IDL who is going to eat up a ton of snaps and not be embarrassing. His knockdowns and pressures in 2023 are significant outliers from his previous five years of production. This is probably the riskiest signing of the free agency so far in that he's the least likely to meet or outperform this contract.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Jones PFR page.

So no that risky tho amirite?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I hear what you're saying Stout, and you're 100% right. We need our Aaron Donald!

Got to find your super duper stars in the draft though.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We are still a hell of a long way from the 2023 Niners as far as being loaded with defensive line talent. I gotta think Nichols and Jones take DT off the board of the draft early. But, IMO, it shouldn't if BPA at #27 is someone like Newton.

But this is a pretty serious spending spree by Bidwill at the start of FA. Laying out almost 40 million guaranteed. Gotta say I did not expect that level of aggressiveness although these are the types of players I expected.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
@kerouac9 this is the strategy you were kind of talking about? Looks pretty good. If the Cardinals somehow swung and got Hunter, the front seven would start to look much better.
Kind of? I think this is a worse/riskier contract than the Nichols deal. Yeah, he's better than LJ Collier, but I think you're paying for an outlier season.

Montez Sweat arrived in Chicago on 11/5. To that date (eight games) Jones had one sack and nine pressures. After Sweat arrived (nine games), Jones had 3.5 sacks and 13 pressures.

I don't expect that he's going to have Montez Sweat-level pass rush support here this season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So no that risky tho amirite?

Depends on how you feel about the Jordan Phillips contract. We signed Phillips to a 3-year, $30 million contract with $14.5 million guaranteed after an outlier season when he had 9.5 sacks and 20 pressures.

Then where is the stud on the DL we desperately need?

I don't think you need a stud on the DL in this defense. At least not to get where we're planning to go this year. We're gonna have to develop our edge rushers in-house.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I certainly hope they don’t rule it out. We all witnessed first hand how quickly the front seven can get decimated. Knowing you are a Penn State fan you’ve probably seen him more than others, what are your thoughts on Johnny Newton?