Cards Sign DT Justin Jones

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On the face of it, it's a good signing. Same with the other DT. The problem is...where is the stud on this DL? We need impact players on the D. Definitely more hope that this guy provides that, but is he a game-changing stud? We shall see. Do we still draft a DT high? We shall see.

Anyway, for the signing, seems like a decent one.
It's about Raising the Floor bro.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kind of? I think this is a worse/riskier contract than the Nichols deal. Yeah, he's better than LJ Collier, but I think you're paying for an outlier season.

Montez Sweat arrived in Chicago on 11/5. To that date (eight games) Jones had one sack and nine pressures. After Sweat arrived (nine games), Jones had 3.5 sacks and 13 pressures.

I don't expect that he's going to have Montez Sweat-level pass rush support here this season.
Cmon, he’ll have a free pass with bj next to him!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Depends on how you feel about the Jordan Phillips contract. We signed Phillips to a 3-year, $30 million contract with $14.5 million guaranteed after an outlier season when he had 9.5 sacks and 20 pressures.

I don't think you need a stud on the DL in this defense. At least not to get where we're planning to go this year. We're gonna have to develop our edge rushers in-house.
Phillips is the image dancing in my nightmares here too

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Seems to be. My thing is, that lowers DL as a priority for Monti in the draft, which drastically lowers the ability to draft said stud that this defense sorely needs. We have nothing across the front 7 right now but hope as far as getting after the QB with consistency.
I don't think you avoid drafting a DL because of these guys at all. I think this means you don't have to reach for guys just to fill roster spots.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think you avoid drafting a DL because of these guys at all. I think this means you don't have to reach for guys just to fill roster spots.
Agreed! Put yourself in position to take best player regardless of position.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I think about most:

1) The Roman Empire
2) Whether I could land a 747 with help from the control tower
3) If Kyler Murray can dunk a basketball
4) How Steve Keim could have paid Jordan Phillips all that money

Murray's vertical at the combine was 38" and he had a 28.5" arm length so he can absolutely dunk. According to the Dunk Calculator, he only needed a 33" verticle to dunk even at 5'10"

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray's vertical at the combine was 38" and he had a 28.5" arm length so he can absolutely dunk. According to the Dunk Calculator, he only needed a 33" verticle to dunk even at 5'10"
Those sound like touching the rim numbers not lifting a 10 inch wide ball high enough over the rim to slam it down into it. :)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those sound like touching the rim numbers not lifting a 10 inch wide ball high enough over the rim to slam it down into it. :)

Nah 10' rim, standing reach of 5'10 +2'.45 of arm length puts his standing reach at between 7'8 - 7'10. That's a 33" to 35" vertical needed to dunk, which he clears by 3".

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have a 7'8" reach you need just 28" to touch the rim and 34" to dunk.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI I was kidding

I just thought it was fun to use numbers to answer an abstract question.

Now I am left wondering exactly what kind of athlete Murray really is.

He was an elite baseball player and a pretty good football player. Considering how accurate he is throwing the ball and hitting the ball you have to think he could have been a good shooter too who could dunk.

That's some crazy crazy gifts.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought it was fun to use numbers to answer an abstract question.

Now I am left wondering exactly what kind of athlete Murray really is.

He was an elite baseball player and a pretty good football player. Considering how accurate he is throwing the ball and hitting the ball you have to think he could have been a good shooter too who could dunk.

That's some crazy crazy gifts.
Yes it’s a curse being gifted like that…. Been dealing with it my whole life.