Cards release C Lamont Gaillard

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try not to bash the Cards much, but per this reference, we have had the 4th worst return on draft capital in the last 5 years leading up to 2019, and 8th worst in the last 10 years, again the chart stops at 2019. That said, Dallas has the 3rd best and how has that worked for them?

Source: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019
Well, in the five years leading up to 2019, the Cowboys were 12-4, 4-12, 13-3, 9-7, 10-6, so pretty good in the regular season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think the coaches would pass judgment so early in the TC process. Something more must be going on.

It's not as if we had Pro Bowl backup depth. Why thin out a position so early?
The most obvious reason for getting rid of players - they suck. They’ve got plenty of tape on the guy. Could there be other stuff? Sure. Occam’s razor says he stunk.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard that this could be a factor for fringe roster players.

There's an 85% goal the NFL set where if you're over it you have far less restrictions(masks etc) than if you're below it. So teams are apparently absolutely cutting guys who aren't vaccinated if they're under 85 and the player isn't some critical player.

So obviously you don't cut D Hop over it but if you're choosing between 2 borderline WR's normally special teams is a key factor but now if one's vaccinated and one's not, you keep the vaccinated one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those keeping score, this year is Josh Jones watch year. If he is ever a player for our future, he should easily win the RG job. If he can't beta out Winters and Murray at RG, he is likely another Mason Cole who showed he wasn't he guy for the job by not being able to beat out marginal competition.

I think this goes with other players as well. Chad Williams sucked early. Isabella sucked early. In contrast, both Chase and BMurphy found immediate roles early. I understand that we say rookies take time, but I am struggling to find examples of rookies who "developed" into starters. Humphries was a guy but that was maturity not ability.
Josh Jones went from competing for the RG spot with Justin Murray and Brian Winters to now backing up Kelvin Beachum at RT who in under a team friendly deal for this year and next year.

Josh Jones is officially a bust until he shows he is not.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Josh Jones went from competing for the RG spot with Justin Murray and Brian Winters to now backing up Kelvin Beachum at RT who in under a team friendly deal for this year and next year.

I actually had high hopes for Jones, too. We're so bad at drafting.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was it ever announced Jones would not be starting at RG or is this just based on the depth chart the team released which has historically meant very little?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I thought Jones looked solid at guard, Murray seemed to struggle at times in the second half of last year. I would prefer Jones is the RT of the future as they are harder to find but it’s concerning he’s not penciled in as a starter at this point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should at least wait until we know if Jones is actually not starting. That said is it really a shock?

Because of the injuries Jones was playing RG most of camp and the preseason, if you read there's a story where Hump goes into detail saying how impressed he was with Jones just moving to Guard and not missing a beat. He said I know how hard it is to change sides at Tackle, like Jones did, I've never played guard I can't imagine how tough that would be to go from LT to RT to RG for a 2nd year player.

I know the common thinking is they moved him to guard because they thought Beachum was better but it may have simply been they knew of the 2, Jones had a better chance of actually playing guard so why move Beachum? But it clearly made it harder for him to win the RT job when he was playing RG.

It would not surprise me at all if he's the starting RG, we haven't seen any actual announcement and the depth chart is often wrong. If he's not and goes back T then yes it's a bit disappointing but he's had a pretty unusual first 2 years last year the whole thing with Covid and then this year change positions in camp and then potentially get moved back after the preseason.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We should at least wait until we know if Jones is actually not starting. That said is it really a shock?

Because of the injuries Jones was playing RG most of camp and the preseason, if you read there's a story where Hump goes into detail saying how impressed he was with Jones just moving to Guard and not missing a beat. He said I know how hard it is to change sides at Tackle, like Jones did, I've never played guard I can't imagine how tough that would be to go from LT to RT to RG for a 2nd year player.

I know the common thinking is they moved him to guard because they thought Beachum was better but it may have simply been they knew of the 2, Jones had a better chance of actually playing guard so why move Beachum? But it clearly made it harder for him to win the RT job when he was playing RG.

It would not surprise me at all if he's the starting RG, we haven't seen any actual announcement and the depth chart is often wrong. If he's not and goes back T then yes it's a bit disappointing but he's had a pretty unusual first 2 years last year the whole thing with Covid and then this year change positions in camp and then potentially get moved back after the preseason.
I have a lot of thoughts about this but I am ok waiting until we get an official depth chart.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So at the end of the day, our “much improved O-line” people have crowed about and the reason why having mediocre running backs was fine basically hinges on a good C somehow revolutionizing the line? I think we’re gonna see that O-line struggle again.

it’s got two above average starters on it. Legit good to very good players. The rest of them are JAGs at best.

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score

Couldn't agree with this any more. Are we really calling a guy a bust before game 1 of their second year? He is a TACKLE, who at this point is not a better option than Beachum. No shame in that. If he is not starting on the line next year, then we can *start* to discuss bust potential. I know Keim has lost a lot of trust on here, but sheesh lets give Jones some time.

Last edited:

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
So at the end of the day, our “much improved O-line” people have crowed about and the reason why having mediocre running backs was fine basically hinges on a good C somehow revolutionizing the line? I think we’re gonna see that O-line struggle again.

it’s got two above average starters on it. Legit good to very good players. The rest of them are JAGs at best.
I think you are underestimating what going to Hudson from Cole can do to an Oline. Plus I disagree on your assessment of the other 3 guys outside of Hudson and DJ.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure how this line will look and considering they've played together for like 3 days, it will take a minute to see for sure.

But what I do know is our weakest position is now our strongest, which does on paper make the line better. Even if RG is a push, which is most likely the case. We have a top 5 center, top 10 LT, serviceable guards and an ok RT. No glaring holes! The OL is the least of my worries on offense. Our WR/TE group is a huge question mark after Hopkins and he is a close contact away from potentially missing 2 games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yup

Reaction score
Couldn't agree with this any more. Are we really calling a guy a bust before game 1 of their second year? He is a TACKLE, who at this point is not a better option than Beachum. No shame in that. If he is not starting on the line next year, then we can *start* to discuss bust potential. I know Keim has lost a lot of trust on here, but sheesh lets give Jones some time.

Exactly. How long did it take ''knee deep'' to be a quality starter? He struggled quite a bit trying to play RT his rookie year. I think the Cards learned to be patient. Especially when you are moving an LT to the RT position. It's not like they'll be instant pro bowlers.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Exactly. How long did it take ''knee deep'' to be a quality starter? He struggled quite a bit trying to play RT his rookie year. I think the Cards learned to be patient. Especially when you are moving an LT to the RT position. It's not like they'll be instant pro bowlers.
He struggled quite a bit trying to play RT in YEAR TWO; he couldn't even get a helmet his rookie season. So, yeah, sometimes it takes time for a player to develop, so maybe Jones has a shot. Problem with those kind of players is that you're burning cheap contract years and then, if they get good, you have to pay big.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Beacham graded out above average in both pass blocking win rate and run block win rated per ESPNs analysts.

I think he's a good player, the problem last year was that center and RG were so bad. Justin Murray was ok early in the year until injuries and when Sweezy went in, it was a total crap fest.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Josh Jones was drafted as a red-shirt senior. This means he was two years older than many players who are drafted to the NFL. He should be more refined but he isn't. Jones should be more physically mature, but his isn't. Given a full season, a full training camp, and every pre-season first team snap at RG, he cannot beat out Justin Murray or Brian Winters. This is with a position coach in Sean Kugler that most on this board agree is pretty good.

What I have observed over a long time of watching college and the NFL along with other areas of knowledge is that guys who stick in the NFL generally find their way onto the field sooner rather than later. This belief that the NFL is a developmental league is a bit false. Lucas Niang missed all of last year and is starting for the Chiefs. Plenty of rookies start their rookie season. If a guy can play, he normally finds his way on the field sooner vs later and teams definitely don't stack the positions that player plays with vet talent if they like what they have seen.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't realized this before but reading another site on jones it claims that much of the time Winters was on the Jets he was playing next to Kelvin Beachum. I wonder if that is helping him maybe win the starting job?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA