Cards release C Lamont Gaillard

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think that this means they view Garcia as a more valuable backup and probably like what they see from Menet as well.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think that this means they view Garcia as a more valuable backup and probably like what they see from Menet as well.
I doubt Menet has much to do with this decision. Gaillard didn't show enough to justify keeping a backup C who can't do anything.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I doubt Menet has much to do with this decision. Gaillard didn't show enough to justify keeping a backup C who can't do anything.
Probably so. Late round rookies rarely factor in.

I'd guess they got enough film on him that they probably think he'll never be a starter and has limited upside as a back up.

juza76

Registered
Reaction score
Ok
For the coaching staff he couldn't beat Cole out
So even if we had the impression he was much stronger then Cole he was just bad

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our o-line coach did not agree. He basically bashed both Cole and Galliard as not good enough at the end of last season.

That you know of... Maybe there is a personality clash, maybe there are other off field issues.

Galliard definitely played better than Cole NOMHO. (not only my humble opinion)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Our o-line coach did not agree. He basically bashed both Cole and Galliard as not good enough at the end of last season.
Agreed. Offensive line development takes a lot especially at C. Some teams know what they are looking for and others don't.

Gaillard was a late round guy who never showed enough to convince the team he could be a starter and did not have the versatility to play other spots.

Cole had some versatility but never had the strength to hold up at POA. There were also reportedly issues with line calls (which are tough for fans to evaluate) and his snaps got inconsistent at times.

I know the board was mixed on both of these guys but facts are that they didn't show enough.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those keeping score, this year is Josh Jones watch year. If he is ever a player for our future, he should easily win the RG job. If he can't beta out Winters and Murray at RG, he is likely another Mason Cole who showed he wasn't he guy for the job by not being able to beat out marginal competition.

I think this goes with other players as well. Chad Williams sucked early. Isabella sucked early. In contrast, both Chase and BMurphy found immediate roles early. I understand that we say rookies take time, but I am struggling to find examples of rookies who "developed" into starters. Humphries was a guy but that was maturity not ability.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That you know of... Maybe there is a personality clash, maybe there are other off field issues.

lol I like how you spelled out the acronym afterward

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Certainly opens up a spot for Menet.
I doubt it. We are only going to carry so many offensive linemen.

1-DJ Humphries
2-Justin Pugh
3-Rodney Hudson
4-Justin Murray
5-Kelvin Beachum
6-Josh Jones
7-Max Garcia
8-?
9-?

That is two spots open. You have Joshua Miles who the team has held onto for multiple years as a backup LT. Brian Winters, Sean Harlow and Shaq Calhoun who are interior depth options if you want Josh Jones to be a backup OT option. Menet's path to the active roster is justifying a roster spot for a late round rookie who doesn't have a history of playing multiple spots. Tough sledding.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I doubt it. We are only going to carry so many offensive linemen.

1-DJ Humphries
2-Justin Pugh
3-Rodney Hudson
4-Justin Murray
5-Kelvin Beachum
6-Josh Jones
7-Max Garcia
8-?
9-?

That is two spots open. You have Joshua Miles who the team has held onto for multiple years as a backup LT. Brian Winters, Sean Harlow and Shaq Calhoun who are interior depth options if you want Josh Jones to be a backup OT option. Menet's path to the active roster is justifying a roster spot for a late round rookie who doesn't have a history of playing multiple spots. Tough sledding.

Tough sledding, sure, but easier without another C on the roster. I'm pulling for the guy, because I'm a homer :)

JeffGollin

Reaction score

I don't think the coaches would pass judgment so early in the TC process. Something more must be going on.

It's not as if we had Pro Bowl backup depth. Why thin out a position so early?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tally Cardinal