Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There was a significant amount of frustration on threads in here about Kliff's consistent "credit to them, i have to do better" approach.
That was the hallmark of the KK years - Kliff gushing about the other coaching staff and talking about needing to get better. (Spolier - he never got better)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting tired of losing and not making adjustments at half time. I know the talent isn't there but zero points in the 2nd half really sucks.
I mean, the coaches can’t make Dobbs stop overthrowing a very open Hollywood Brown multiple times. The coaches can’t make Dobbs not throw behind Ertz in scoring territory. They also can’t make Leki Fotu not play patty-cake with the OL in front of him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was just a scheme adjustment the Rams made to run the ball that we never seemed to figure out what to do about?
What is there to do actually? Move every body into the box, continue to watch our front 4 players NOT get off of blocks, then get beat deep repeatedly by Kupp & Puka?

It is absolutely a talent issue. A big part of it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I mean, the coaches can’t make Dobbs stop overthrowing a very open Hollywood Brown multiple times. The coaches can’t make Dobbs not throw behind Ertz in scoring territory. They also can’t make Leki Fotu not play patty-cake with the OL in front of him.
Leki loves to patty-cake. Genetic privilege at it's finest.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a significant amount of frustration on threads in here about Kliff's consistent "credit to them, i have to do better" approach.
I think that is natural as losses stack up. People want to hear something different, see anger, because they are angry. Early on, it's all good.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is there to do actually? Move every body into the box, continue to watch our front 4 players NOT get off of blocks, then get beat deep repeatedly by Kupp & Puka?

That wasn't a scheme adjustment by the Rams run game at half time. They only ran the ball three times in the first half. It was an attitude adjustment and they smacked us right in the mouth.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No they can't make Dobbs stop overthrowing but they can bench him and give Tune a chance. Why keep Dobbs a starter if he isn't getting the job done?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh I agree but Im talking about what Vilma(?) said on the broadcast. That we were playing a 5 man front and the Rams simply changed to running to the outside to outflank it.

I don't disagree we aren't talented.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No they can't make Dobbs stop overthrowing but they can bench him and give Tune a chance. Why keep Dobbs a starter if he isn't getting the job done?
Because Tune hasn't earned it and unless he has gone through significant chances in the past month he is definitely worse than Dobbs.

Think of it this way, Dobbs was a significantly better prospect than Tune coming out of college, he's had a years to work on his game AND he's shown very good things in 3 of his starts. Dobbs has better athleticism, ball placement and understanding of NFL defenses. Tune was absolutely atrocious vs. preseason defenses, any positive spin for him was based on "potential" that probably won't be realized for a long long time.

If we start Tune over Dobbs the team will stop believing that Gannon wants to win games and that's how you lose a locker room.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was he tho?

Not much in it. Dobbs was consensus big board #141 in 2017 and Tune was #155 in 2023.

That 2017 class was very strong though. In fact just looking at how many of the top 100 (pre draft) are solid to great starters in the league still.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I do find it interesting that 12 of the 14 current ranked playoff teams have OCs as HC, only 2 are former DCs. The rules these days have been heavily modified to favor the offense.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I do find it interesting that 12 of the 14 current ranked playoff teams have OCs as HC, only 2 are former DCs. The rules these days have been heavily modified to favor the offense.
You better be damn sure your defensive head coach is the guy, because there should be serious questions when you go against the grain and it fails.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think a better statistic would be, of the Defensive HCs, how many make the playoffs on average vs Offensive HCs. There are traditionally going to be fewer defensive HCs, overall.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think a better statistic would be, of the Defensive HCs, how many make the playoffs on average vs Offensive HCs. There are traditionally going to be fewer defensive HCs, overall.
What is this based on?

I don't really care if the average defensive HC makes the playoffs more often than the average offensive HC if offensive HCs are wiping the floor in general. Bill Belicheck can make the playoffs every year, but there are 14 playoff spots and 86% of them are going to teams with an offensive focus.

Slow day at work, but in 2011 (chosen at random), here is my count of offense vs defensive head coaches (Playoffs in bold):

OFF (13): BUF (Gailey), CLE (Shurmur), TEN (Munchak), IND (Caldwell), SDC (Turner), OAK (Hue Jackson), HOU (Kubiak), NYG (Coughlin), GB (McCarthy), PHI (Reid), DAL (Garrett), NO (Payton), SF (Jim Harbaugh), ARI (Whis)

DEF (14): NE (Belicheck), NYJ (Rex Ryan), PIT (Tomlin), CIN (Marvin Lewis), JAX (Jack Del Rio/Mel Tucker), DEN (Fox), DET (Schwartz), CHI (Lovie Smith), MIN (Leslie Frazier), ATL (Mike Smith), CAR (Rivera), TB (Morris), SEA (Carrol), STL (Spagnuolo)

It's complicated (3): MIA (Sparano-OFF, Bowles (DEF), BAL (John Harbaugh-ST), KC (Haley-OFF/Crennel-DEF)