Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Again, this is exactly what Kliff did and it didn't end well. Both ways get old after awhile if things don't improve.
Kliff had zero say on his staff....you really think he was capable of coaching them in private? lol He wasn't calling VaJ out in meetings....lol

I think Gannon had way more ability to do that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kliff had zero say on his staff....you really think he was capable of coaching them in private? lol He wasn't calling VaJ out in meetings....lol

I think Gannon had way more ability to do that.
Maybe? I am sure he tried. Just like I am sure Gannon will try. Who knows if it will work.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I live in Eagle country & my daughter is a diehard fan. Consequently, I am forced to watch them every week. JG is emotional yes, but very stoic on the sideline. It drove Eagles fans to the brink of insanity that while the Chiefs rallied to beat the Eagles in the SB, that he, Siriani, and staff remained stoic on the sideline. They would have preferred more emotion down the stretch. But Eagles fans are complete a-holes (my daughter excluded), so I’m not surprised.
They ran Andy Reid out of town.

Poverty fanbase.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ask Kliff what happens when you constantly point the finger at yourself. There is a balance with holding others accountable and falling on the sword as a coach.
I don't think you should ever point fingers in the press conferences. The key is that you are holding people accountable out of the public eye. I'm not so sure Kliff was doing that part of it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think you should ever point fingers in the press conferences. The key is that you are holding people accountable out of the public eye. I'm not so sure Kliff was doing that part of it.
Yes and no. Some of the best coaches have said certain players need to play better. They also generally say the group/team needs to do better. There is a balance. The overaching point is that this is almost identical to what Kliff did and we all saw how that wore on people. It's ok to say Joshua Dobbs needs to play better while also saying you need to do a better job putting him in a position to do so.

It's just funny to read those who panned Kliff for doing the same things, praise Gannon for it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
25 years and counting at a very high level.

Do you criticize your team members or place blame on the team publicly as you are asking JG to do?

If so, what type of leader/industry are you in?
I don’t think he’s asking JG to point fingers. He’s remarking on the fact that many people here were deeply triggered by Kliff’s post-game press
Conferences and JG is using a lot
Of the same language and people are fine with it.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
There is a difference between public leadership style and private leadership style/accountability.

If someone is comparing KK's private leadership style and accountability to JG's, I think they are most likely incorrect thinking they are the same.

Publicly - I think its professional and the right thing to do.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far I think Gannon has done a good job. There are things I obviously don't like, blowing leads being the biggest one. But I think that goes back in large part to talent level. In college basketball the claim is the team with the better talent should play at the higher pace because the more possessions there are in a game the more likely the more talented team will win.

Football is different but similar, over a course of a 60 minute game the team that has more talent is likely eventually to take over. My big issue yesterday was the game turned so quickly on the first drive of the 2nd half. That wasn't a more talent issue, that wasn't a tired defense issue. That was just a scheme adjustment the Rams made to run the ball that we never seemed to figure out what to do about?

That said we're being competitive in most of the games with very low talent. I think if Kliff were coaching this year we'd be winless and he'd be on the hotseat so I'm glad he's gone. I do hope next year as our talent level increases, we become a better 4th quarter team.

One thing which might just be me but it was well into the 2nd half where i realized we're playing them without both starting safeties, Budda and Thompson, A Ham got hurt. I mean one of our CB's yesterday was Andre Chachere who played at San Jose State and who's actually playing more S than CB for us despite being a college CB. He was undrafted, in 2018, he is on his THIRD stint with the Cards, we've waived the kid twice before, he's really only been on an active NFL roster once in his career, with Detroit. He last played with Philly which is of course why he's here. He was on the field ALOT yesterday. I guess it's not a shock why the Rams came out throwing yesterday but at the half they realized we were doing everything we could to help the DB's and that made us vulnerable to the run and then went at us in the 2nd half.

Whole game really turned on that one long throw to Kupp at the end of the half. complete momentum swing.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It just occured to me, did any team or any new coach in history attempt a complete rebuild when there is a young (somewhat unproven but very talented QB in Murray) talented QB who gets you 8-11 teams with above average coaching? Why did we embark on the rebuild again?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just funny to read those who panned Kliff for doing the same things, praise Gannon for it.
many people here were deeply triggered by Kliff’s post-game press Conferences
Really?? "Deeply triggered" by the fact that Kingsbury didn't throw players under the bus at press conferences? I've got some people on ignore so maybe I missed it, but I have no recollection of this. If it happened I guess I've got the right people on ignore.

Kingsbury was criticized for many things, some justified and some not, but I don't recall anyone criticizing him for publicly taking the blame for losses and not pointing fingers at the players or his staff.

That seems to me to be an unassailably positive attribute of a coach, in public.

The only legitimate criticism, whether accurate or not, would be if the coach isn't holding his staff and players accountable behind the scenes. Seems as though a lot of posters here thought Kingsbury didn't, or couldn't because he was never given the authority by Keim and Bidwill. But that's a different issue.

:shrug:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is a difference between public leadership style and private leadership style/accountability.

If someone is comparing KK's private leadership style and accountability to JG's, I think they are most likely incorrect thinking they are the same.

Publicly - I think its professional and the right thing to do.
And my point is that "publicly" Kliff and Gannon have the exact same style but people on this board are viewing it differently.

Reactions: PJ1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Really?? "Deeply triggered" by the fact that Kingsbury didn't throw players under the bus at press conferences? I've got some people on ignore so maybe I missed it, but I have no recollection of this. If it happened I guess I've got the right people on ignore.

Kingsbury was criticized for many things, some justified and some not, but I don't recall anyone criticizing him for publicly taking the blame for losses and not pointing fingers at the players or his staff.

That seems to me to be an unassailably positive attribute of a coach, in public.

The only legitimate criticism, whether accurate or not, would be if the coach isn't holding his staff and players accountable behind the scenes. Seems as though a lot of posters here thought Kingsbury didn't, or couldn't because he was never given the authority by Keim and Bidwill. But that's a different issue.

:shrug:
There was a significant amount of frustration on threads in here about Kliff's consistent "credit to them, i have to do better" approach.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s asking JG to point fingers. He’s remarking on the fact that many people here were deeply triggered by Kliff’s post-game press
Conferences and JG is using a lot
Of the same language and people are fine with it.

Such as? What language are you referring to? They seem nothing alike to me. Not at all.