Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brissett was drafted by the Patriots, so MO is familiar with him too. I do expect that Jacoby will fill in for Murray next year. He’s 6’4 & 240. Hell, he can fill in at LB once Murray returns lol. His TD/INT ratio is 48-23.
I always thought he was solid for the Colts but they have kept missing on home run swings since Luck retired.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First off things are as we asked for.

Mike hired Monti
Monti hired Gannon
Gannon hired his coordinators

Regarding Petzing, I don't know if he will be good or not. My concern is does he have a playbook that's not just the Brown's? I assume he must?

Its a big task for him. New team, new scheme, new verbiage for everyone, difficult QB etc. A lot to handle. He'll need a good staff.
He’s Ivy school educated, so I’m assuming he’s fairly intelligent. And if I remember correctly, he’s coached many positions on BOTH sides of the ball.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And it seems like the guy who would be in the booth, not down with the players. This is good. Longevity.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Petzing will be like a lot of Rock bands who hit it out of the park with their first album because they worked on those songs for years.

"Ramones", "The Doors", "Appetite for Destruction", "Dirty Honey" etc etc etc.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brissett was drafted by the Patriots, so MO is familiar with him too. I do expect that Jacoby will fill in for Murray next year. He’s 6’4 & 240. Hell, he can fill in at LB once Murray returns lol. His TD/INT ratio is 48-23.
I wouldn't mind having him to fill to start the season

Knows the system and is able to manage the offense

No way do I want to start Colt and rely on him to stay healthy

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think they are hiring young coordinators so they don't push back much when Bidwill breaks film every Monday and installs the game plan for the week. Flores or Zimmer or any other experienced coordinators won't put up with that. Likely why Kliff was chosen too.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are hiring young coordinators so they don't push back much when Bidwill breaks film every Monday and installs the game plan for the week. Flores or Zimmer or any other experienced coordinators won't put up with that. Likely why Kliff was chosen too.
I certainly hope that's not going to happen

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would you or anyone get it?

Perhaps there's an exception, but 99% of this board didn't know he existed the day Gannon was hired.
Hiring a super bowl bound coordinator is a familiar territory. Gannon was known well enough by the time of playoffs.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
How do we know that the Petzig system is what the Browns ran? He was the QB coach, not OC or play caller. No way to know, until we hear from him, what his offensive philosophy is and if Brissett is truly the guy who can fill in for Murray. Seems good on paper, but we just don't know yet.

Reaction score
I don’t know a huge amount about either coordinators if I’m honest - only what I’ve read since they were linked - which is all positive as individual coaches.

However, I’m very pleased that we are quite clearly all in on JG and these are ‘his’ staff to date. Sure, I’d like a sprinkling of experience across the positional coaches/consultants etc. but I much prefer the route we’re taking than going back to having coordinators pushed on the Head Coach.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Barry Switzer (undoubtedly the greatest coach in human history) once said:

It's not your Xs and your Os, but your jimmys and your joes.

We need to add a lot more talent on both sides of the ball or this staff is doomed to suffer the same fate as K2, Wilks, and Whisenhunt.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have the sneaking suspicion you actually believe this.

Last edited:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Barry Switzer (undoubtedly the greatest coach in human history) once said:

It's not your Xs and your Os, but your jimmys and your joes.

We need to add a lot more talent on both sides of the ball or this staff is doomed to suffer that same fate as K2, Wilks, and Whisenhunt.
You must be registered for see images attach

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When I see Petzing, I see the Kermit character from Shameless. :D

Attachments

• 1B49AE43-BD44-40B9-BC11-487327DF6818.jpeg
    1B49AE43-BD44-40B9-BC11-487327DF6818.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get this OC hire. DC hire is OK I assume as Gannon is the top guy who will install defense.

Who else is there? I mentioned Nagy a week or so ago but he's replacing EB. Johnson at the Eagles is replacing Steichen.

Look at it this way. 3 years ago Chargers fans probably said "Why are we pairing this newbie Steichen with rookie Herbert?"

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do we know that the Petzig system is what the Browns ran? He was the QB coach, not OC or play caller. No way to know, until we hear from him, what his offensive philosophy is and if Brissett is truly the guy who can fill in for Murray. Seems good on paper, but we just don't know yet.

Stefanski runs a Westcoast offense I believe.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having him to fill to start the season

Knows the system and is able to manage the offense

No way do I want to start Colt and rely on him to stay healthy
How does he know the system when the new OC has never had his own system?

Certainly some plays or variations will transfer over but he could have s a completely different offensive world view than what the Browns actually ran.