Cards Cut To 53

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
http://arizonasports.com/story/1226241/cuts-53-man-roster-cardinals-announce-moves/

The Arizona Cardinals announced Saturday their cuts and roster moves that brought the team’s roster down to 53 players.

The following players were released:

OFFENSE

QB Trevor Knight
WR Carlton Agudosi
WR Krishawn Hogan
WR Chris Hubert
WR Jeremy Ross
RB Chris Johnson
RB James Summers
TE Gerald Christian
TE Ricky Seals-Jones
TE Hakeem Valles
OL Dorian Johnson
OL Kaleb Johnson
OL Cole Toner
OL Jonathan McLaughlin
OL Givens Price

DEFENSE

DT Peli Anau
DT David Moala
DT Pasoni Tasini
LB Scooby Wright III
LB Alex Bazzie
LB Terence Waugh
LB Cap Capi
LB Zaviar Gooden
LB Ryan Langford
CB Jarell Carter
CB Gump Hayes
CB Ryan Lewis
CB Sojourn Shelton
CB/S Harlan Miller
S Ironhead Gallon

SPECIAL TEAMS

P Richie Leone

The team also announced wide receiver Aaron Dobson would be placed on injured reserved. The team waived defensive tackle Ed Stinson and reached injury settlements with linebackers Tre’Von Johnson and Jarvis Jones.

Some players are practice squad-eligible and could remain in Arizona for that reason.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yikes, that was a miss with the 4th round pick.

Agreed. There were many of us who were thrilled with the pick so the mistake is more easily understood.

My question/thought is; what can we gather from the cutting of Dorian and the retaining of Chad Williams.

The positive thought would be that BASK does keep the best players and even though Chad didn't outperform Ross his obvious skill set is such that they expect him to develop into a quality WR.

The negative thought would be that BASK kept Chad because cutting both he and Dorian is simply bad press.

Let's hope Fitz and Carson can work on and with Chad to get him up to speed at some point this year.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Of Will Holden, Cole Toner, Dorian Johnson, and John Munyer, simple observation would not have led me to believe that Holden and Munyer are the ones likely to stay. I was surprised that Johnson coulnd't get off the third team all preseason. I was looking for him all over the place, expecting him to ascend quickly to right guard starter while Boehm moved to center. He never showed up at all, it seems. Then again, Chad Williams didn't either. Far less productive than Ross, Dobson, Hubert, and even Hogan.

Well, it's their job to know, not mine. Let's see what happens over the weekend and hit the ground running next week.

I would say that Hubert, Seals-Jones, Valles, Dorian J, Capi, Scooby, and Harlan M are locks for the PS unless picked up.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Of Will Holden, Cole Toner, Dorian Johnson, and John Munyer, simple observation would not have led me to believe that Holden and Munyer are the ones likely to stay. I was surprised that Johnson coulnd't get off the third team all preseason. I was looking for him all over the place, expecting him to ascend quickly to right guard starter while Boehm moved to center. He never showed up at all, it seems. Then again, Chad Williams didn't either. Far less productive than Ross, Dobson, Hubert, and even Hogan.

Well, it's their job to know, not mine. Let's see what happens over the weekend and hit the ground running next week.

Regarding Holden, I wonder if his liver condition is an indirect issue...meaning, could it be contributing to a mental hurdle he needs to get over?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Regarding Holden, I wonder if his liver condition is an indirect issue...meaning, could it be contributing to a mental hurdle he needs to get over?
Holden s liver is fine
Dorian Johnson u are referring but has been cut yesterday

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
re: Williams.

The optimist in me says redshirting a third round pick from a smalllll school isn't the worst thing-- especially after redshirting the last two first rounders ( progress!)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
* Cap Capi—we will see today whether another team saw in Capi what we fans saw in him. If he clears waivers, then I hope the Cardinals sign him to the PS. I thought he played as fundamentally strong as a 34 OLB can play, setting the edge, making strong tackles, dipping and ripping his way to the QB and picking up his man in coverage like on the hard to read “submarine bootleg, TE across the formation” trick play the Falcons tries to run to his side that he prevented a TD on.

* Cole Toner—maybe he winds up in New England. He’s their type of smart, versatile lineman.

* Andre Ellington—because he doesn’t play STs, will he even be active on game days? Still can’t believe he’s on this roster. Did he even have one breakaway run this pre-season?

* The curious case of Dorian Johnson. Does anyone have a sense of what happened with Dorian?. Right away the coaches nixed any notion that he could compete for the starting RG spot, which felt strange seeing as Evan Boehm is a converted center who only starter two games. In one on one drill early in camp Dorian was showing very good pop, balance, hand placement and leverage. Watching him versus the Broncos he was consistently driving his man 4-5 yards downfield, albeit versus their 3rd stringers. This guy was a 1st Team All-American.What is so weird is that the coaches never gave him a chance to play with the 2nd string. Why not? It’s not like Kaleb Johnson was lighting the world on fire, either. What a colossal miss on a 4th round draft pick when they could have drafted LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, RB Tarik Cohen, WR Josh Reynolds, QB Joshua Dobbs, RB Marlon Mack, DT Carlos Watkins, LB Jayon Brown, TE George Kittle, CB Damontae Kazee, etc.

* Daniel Munyer—what’s so amazing about his making the team is that no one close to the team predicted him making the roster, and now not only has he made the roster, he will be one of the 7 OL to dress on game days as the backup center, while John Wentzel backs up the tackles and guards.

* Philip Wheeler—late reads, looks out of shape, not a reliable tackler, and he makes the roster over Capi, one of the only players on the roster who tackles with a passion and regularity? And who can be a stud on STs?

* Scooby Wright—there should be a place for him on STs. He should be the Cardinals’ version of Nate Ebner, the Patriots’ designated STs dynamo.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it is a little early to make judgement, it may be that for some players - say Capi, if they want him on the PS, they cut and sign him there immediately whereas someone like Wheeler may be cut outright for a pickup in the next day or two.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
* Cap Capi—we will see today whether another team saw in Capi what we fans saw in him. If he clears waivers, then I hope the Cardinals sign him to the PS. I thought he played as fundamentally strong as a 34 OLB can play, setting the edge, making strong tackles, dipping and ripping his way to the QB and picking up his man in coverage like on the hard to read “submarine bootleg, TE across the formation” trick play the Falcons tries to run to his side that he prevented a TD on.

* Cole Toner—maybe he winds up in New England. He’s their type of smart, versatile lineman.

* Andre Ellington—because he doesn’t play STs, will he even be active on game days? Still can’t believe he’s on this roster. Did he even have one breakaway run this pre-season?

* The curious case of Dorian Johnson. Does anyone have a sense of what happened with Dorian?. Right away the coaches nixed any notion that he could compete for the starting RG spot, which felt strange seeing as Evan Boehm is a converted center who only starter two games. In one on one drill early in camp Dorian was showing very good pop, balance, hand placement and leverage. Watching him versus the Broncos he was consistently driving his man 4-5 yards downfield, albeit versus their 3rd stringers. This guy was a 1st Team All-American.What is so weird is that the coaches never gave him a chance to play with the 2nd string. Why not? It’s not like Kaleb Johnson was lighting the world on fire, either. What a colossal miss on a 4th round draft pick when they could have drafted LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, RB Tarik Cohen, WR Josh Reynolds, QB Joshua Dobbs, RB Marlon Mack, DT Carlos Watkins, LB Jayon Brown, TE George Kittle, CB Damontae Kazee, etc.

* Daniel Munyer—what’s so amazing about his making the team is that no one close to the team predicted him making the roster, and now not only has he made the roster, he will be one of the 7 OL to dress on game days as the backup center, while John Wentzel backs up the tackles and guards.

* Philip Wheeler—late reads, looks out of shape, not a reliable tackler, and he makes the roster over Capi, one of the only players on the roster who tackles with a passion and regularity? And who can be a stud on STs?

* Scooby Wright—there should be a place for him on STs. He should be the Cardinals’ version of Nate Ebner, the Patriots’ designated STs dynamo.

Marcus Golden does not have great NFL measurables but he does have NFL measurables none the less and plays with a nonstop motor and produces... Scooby Wright does not have NFL measurables and therefore does not belong in the NFL no matter his effort, there is being slow for a NFL player and then there is too slow to play professionally, and I cannot help feel the same way about Penny at running back too

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems they had their minds made up if Wheeler was picked over Capi. Similar to Gabbert challenging Stanton. Neither had a chance no matter what they did. I don't get it but I am just a fan so I scratch my head and move on.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marcus Golden does not have great NFL measurables but he does have NFL measurables none the less and plays with a nonstop motor and produces... Scooby Wright does not have NFL measurables and therefore does not belong in the NFL no matter his effort, there is being slow for a NFL player and then there is too slow to play professionally, and I cannot help feel the same way about Penny at running back too
I think the difference between Scooby and Penny may have to do with different physical skills needed for LB (the way we play it) and the big RB (the way BA plans to use him.

While LB might require more speed, explosion and recovery time, the big RB might need to be more reliable turning most one-yard losses into 2 or 3 yard gains (i.e. more power than speed).

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think the difference between Scooby and Penny may have to do with different physical skills needed for LB (the way we play it) and the big RB (the way BA plans to use him.

While LB might require more speed, explosion and recovery time, the big RB might need to be more reliable turning most one-yard losses into 2 or 3 yard gains (i.e. more power than speed).

I see Penny as having special team value which must be pretty special because for me he fails as a big back. Let me explain, and this might be due to his lack of acceleration, I have yet to see him punish a oncoming defender. He is like a big anvil which is hard to take down but seldom does he appear to play the role of the hammer going forward. He simply runs and allows people to grab hold of him and drags them forward for a few. Guys who would get in the way of Riggins/Csonka or our own Jim Otis back in the day would often initially get the crap knocked out of them before the pile on would begin... compare him even to a 'Ironhead' Heyward, and that is a player Penny is not from what I have seen so far in my opinion

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see Penny as having special team value which must be pretty special because for me he fails as a big back. Let me explain, and this might be due to his lack of acceleration, I have yet to see him punish a oncoming defender. He is like a big anvil which is hard to take down but seldom does he appear to play the role of the hammer going forward. He simply runs and allows people to grab hold of him and drags them forward for a few. Guys who would get in the way of Riggins/Csonka or our own Jim Otis back in the day would often initially get the crap knocked out of them before the pile on would begin... compare him even to a 'Ironhead' Heyward, and that is a player Penny is not from what I have seen so far in my opinion
+1

That's the way I see him also.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals currently have the oldest roster in the league.

Link
Interesting, and inherently concerning... yet looking at the ages of each position group, I'm not particularly alarmed.

Having a few guys in their early 30s on the O-line is fine, and most of the other position groups are all in their mid-20s or have one older vet but also one of two really young guys.

Except QB, if course, and we all know we need a long-term solution there soon. For this year, increasing injury risk is an issue but plenty of QBs have continued to play at a high level at Palmer's age. And who cares that Stanton is old. (I only care that he's not good!)

...dbs

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard