Cardinals trade pick #23 for Hollywood Brown

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What corners? Jalen Ramsey? He'll be guarding Hopkins.

The Seahawks and Niners have mediocre corners.
His feeling is that Kliff will have to get him in motion a lot (which he probably will)

And the corners can be mediocre. However, its the style that can give more problems than others. Teams played lots of soft zone vs the Ravens.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Brown will make $15.5M combined this year and next (his 5th year option). Not sure if he’ll be difficult about getting an extension before then (or on the flip side, us not extending him and risking free agency or having to tag him), but given the way WR contracts have gone up that is really good value for him before we have to show him the money.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
His feeling is that Kliff will have to get him in motion a lot (which he probably will)

And the corners can be mediocre. However, its the style that can give more problems than others. Teams played lots of soft zone vs the Ravens.
Hollywood isn't an unknown quantity. And speed receivers can really make you pay for playing press coverage.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I probably would’ve said Hollywood’s value is a third rounder but whatever. I’m less worried about value when our GM is literally a bottom 5 talent evaluator of college players. I think Brown will be much better here than Baltimore. There was some weirdness with the fit there.

This is a good step in tightening the divide with Murray.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My thoughts on various topics raised here:

1) The value of Brown’s chemistry with Kyler is being MASSIVELY overstated. Kyler has probably has had more reps with Rondale Moore than he ever had with Brown. This is more like Kentucky guys liking to play together in the NBA.

2) Throwing away cost-controlled seasons when you’re claiming to be cash-strapped is a tough pill to swallow. You might’ve seen the graph that @OTCJason posted on Twitter showing that rookie WR contracts are like the second-most valuable after QB contracts. This is a 100% win-now move, which people hoping we’d make a big move should like and appreciate.

3) Brown saw 146 targets last season with Baltimore. Let’s not pretend he was playing in some strapped offense where he was making to most of limited opportunities.

3) Brown’s advanced stats are TERRIBLE. His DYAR was less than Rondale Moore’s last year. His catch rate was 84th among 91 qualifying receivers. His advanced stats have always been bad—58th in DYAR and 63rd in DVOA when Lamar was the freaking MVP.

4) I’ll be interested to see what Brown’s fifth-year option value looks like. Maybe you say goodbye to DHop if and when you extend Brown.

5) Tough hit on the Rondale Moore narrative tonight.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I suppose an elephant in the room ? is when do you say enough is enough. We keep spending draft choices on small and/or supposedly fast WRs, but we haven't seen any return on any of them to our satisfaction. How many can you have buried at the bottom of your rotation?

It seems you have to ask, at what point is it better to spend those picks, money, time and energy on other important parts of your team. When is enough enough already? When does our owner or whoever step forward and simply say, "no more WRs for at least a couple years. KK and Murray will have to make do with who we have until all these contracts start coming up for renewal."

I am not voicing any opinion on this, just asking a question to address what seems like an elephant in the room.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My thoughts on various topics raised here:

1) The value of Brown’s chemistry with Kyler is being MASSIVELY overstated. Kyler has probably has had more reps with Rondale Moore than he ever had with Brown. This is more like Kentucky guys liking to play together in the NBA.
They didn't workout together nearly as much as Hollywood and Kyler have. And he adds a proven vertical threat to the offense.
2) Throwing away cost-controlled seasons when you’re claiming to be cash-strapped is a tough pill to swallow. You might’ve seen the graph that @OTCJason posted on Twitter showing that rookie WR contracts are like the second-most valuable after QB contracts. This is a 100% win-now move, which people hoping we’d make a big move should like and appreciate.
All I've said all offseason is let it play out. There is still the post draft signings, which Keim has arguably had his most success at...that and trades...
3) Brown saw 146 targets last season with Baltimore. Let’s not pretend he was playing in some strapped offense where he was making to most of limited opportunities.
Watch his highlights from last year and you'll see Brown caught a lot of short passes without having much space to run. He should get more space with Hopkins, Green, Ertz, and Moore.

More quality opportunities should help him.
3) Brown’s advanced stats are TERRIBLE. His DYAR was less than Rondale Moore’s last year. His catch rate was 84th among 91 qualifying receivers. His advanced stats have always been bad—58th in DYAR and 63rd in DVOA when Lamar was the freaking MVP.
I've seen good players with poor advanced stats. And I'm more interested in how Brown fits within the actual flow of the offense than his specific numbers.
4) I’ll be interested to see what Brown’s fifth-year option value looks like. Maybe you say goodbye to DHop if and when you extend Brown.
I kind of expect that.
5) Tough hit on the Rondale Moore narrative tonight.
Eh, I think the Cardinals want options.

All offseason we've been reading all of the handwringing from the fans to add another WR.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only problem is we never send guys deep. You drafted Isabella you drafted Moore both undersized speed guys like Brown and we never send them deep we throw it to Moore a yard behind the line of scrimmage
We’ll they better send Brown deep or he won’t make it 6 games with the cb’s in this division. They will break him in half.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
How did both Cards and Ravens keep the trade such a secret for all that time leading up to the draft? No reporter anywhere even got a scent of something possibly going down? That seems awfully unusual.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is a really smart trade and most know I am critical of Keim. So many reasons this fits. Added speed to a very slow offense. Cost controlled for two years. If he hits, you are paying him over an older Hopkins anyways. Connection with Murray which is important as we have seen that isn't a given. Veteran so he is a known commodity. Buy low coming from a run first offense with an inaccurate QB. Played outside with Baltimore so that fits a need. Complements the existing offensive weapons. Board was going bad very quickly and was a big risk staying put.

An aggressive move and I generally like an aggressive approach. Still holes to fill but that was going to be the case reagrdless and now we have an extra pick. I like offensive linemen but there should still be options.
You echoed all my thoughts so I don’t have to redo it. Love the trade. And on top of everything Kerouac said we also got a third. Only reasonable alternative available to us, imo, was drafting jermaine johnson with 23!!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m on the fence until I see how we use the next 3 picks.
Like that we added much needed speed and Kyler and Brown have some familiarity.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been a little back and forth on the trade, but I generally like it.

Pros
-
Adds a much needed speed element to the offense
- Should see much more single coverage across from Nuk.
- Finally gives Kyler a young foundational piece on offense.
- The added third rounder could be useful, potentially in a trade up in the second round.
- Brown has a higher chance of having unlocked potential after playing in such a unique offense.

Cons
- Only cheap for one year
- Seems like a lot to give up considering compensation for other receivers. Amari Cooper only cost a 5th rounder, and he will likely be making less than Brown when Brown signs a new contract.
- 13 drops over the last 2 years is a concern
- Low YAC average for his style, although still better than Kirk, and some of that could have been the Ravens offense.
- Passing on Johnson when Golden is our best pass rusher could come back to bite us.

Overall, I can't complain about getting a young playmaker after complaining about not having enough young playmakers. Brown isn't perfect, but nobody chosen at #23 would be.