Cardinals Interested in Saban?

sw3j

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while, and I haven't seen this brought up. ;)

On FoxSports.com they are reporting:

"The Cardinals, though, have told the league office they want to interview Saban before they decide between ex-Minnesota coach Denny Green and Fassel."

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2010938

I haven't seen his name brought up before.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

pinnacle

Reaction score
the words "decide between" are interesting.....it takes two sides to play (i.e. the cardinals and the prospective coach)...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saban's name has not been brought up in connection with the Cardinals job as far as I know.

Interesting that Fassel will not interview with the Bears, but is going back to Washington instead.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I don't think the Cards could afford Saban ESPECIALLY if he wins tonight in the Sugar Bowl.

Brevity

Tryin' to get my lap back
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Saban's name has not been brought up in connection with the Cardinals job as far as I know.

At the same time, I wonder why they have not shown an interest in Lovie Smith? He seems to be generating interest from other teams.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brevity
At the same time, I wonder why they have not shown an interest in Lovie Smith? He seems to be generating interest from other teams.

Lovie Smith is a deciple of Larry Marmie, and openly credits Larry for teaching him all he knows. That is enough reason for me to dance and sing that we are avoiding him.

Go Cards!!!

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From everything I've seen so far, the general consensus seems to be that Saban isn't going ANYWHERE.

It will be interesting to see if anyone does indeed interview him after today.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If this follows the usual Cards' pattern, by the time they realize Saban is not interested, the others will have jobs.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
They need to interview Saban tonight or tomorrow and then pick a coach. The longer we take, the less chance we'll have of getting a good coach. Jim is already leaning toward Washington, and Green could be heading to the Raiders. If Lovie goes to Atlanta, and Romeo goes to the Bills, then all we have left is Johnson out of Philly, who might be a great coach, but why should he leave Philly? Saban should stay in college, and we need to get an offer sheet out to Green or Jim F. as soon as possible.

I have a feeling that as soon as one coach gets hired, every other team will pull the trigger on their hires. We need to be the first. The more time coaches have to think about the Cardinals, the better chance they'll walk away.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oran
They need to interview Saban tonight

Saban is just a little busy tonight.

:)

I can't see him being interviewed by anybody before Tuesday at the earliest. I don't like this Saban rumor. I hope the Cards decide today to go all out for Green. Or Fassel for that matter, but don't wait.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Fox NFL Pregame show stated the Cardinals have an interest in Saban, as I saw it on their "bottom line" which was running during the show.

Go Cards/ Pick a Coach!!!!
Tim

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
When I first read this thread, I thought you meant Saddam, but you just misspelled it. :lmao:

artp

Registered
Reaction score
It will take major $$$$ to get Saban out of Baton Rouge. If he's going to join the NFL, it will be to someone who pays "stupid" money....Dan Snyder of Washington

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I know Saban has been in the NFL as an assistant but why would you ever pay anyone like him that kind of $ there is just no way that it is worth the risk that the guy can't coach in the NFL.

He isn't so much like Spurrier who I think was a total reach. I heard one NFL guy after another say that his offense would not work in the NFL. Saban on the other hand is more of balanced coach but still what works in college is recruiting skills and x and o's are of secondary importance.

There is very little recruiting in the NFL and a whole load of x an o's so it follows that any success by college coaches is at best hit or miss.

At this point I think it is safe to say we don't get Green or Fassel my money is on Romeo C. That is fine with me anyone coaching for Bellichick is worth a shot to me.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give him this, they sure as hell didn't play "safe" zone coverages and rush three or four on any of the big third and fourth down plays in that game. They blitzed the crap out of OU. I love that type of D.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
After beating Oklahoma, Saban is set at LSU. He'll get all the bigtime recruits he wants from the Southeast. He could be well be given a pay raise - if he goes on a couple interviews in the NFL, the alumni will see to it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think Saban has a clause in his contract that he will now be the highest paid coach in college football.I can't se the Cards coming up with the money to pay him what he'll command.THey can pay him if they want but it makes more sense to pay less for a proven HC at the NFL level to me.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by sw3j
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while, and I haven't seen this brought up. ;)

On FoxSports.com they are reporting:

"The Cardinals, though, have told the league office they want to interview Saban before they decide between ex-Minnesota coach Denny Green and Fassel."

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2010938

I haven't seen his name brought up before.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I hope not because I am not that high on Saban. We need someone who is current on the NFL and been active in the NFL for the past decade or so. We have a lot of rebuilding to do. Probably the most important thing we will do this year is select a Head Coach.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great! :rolleyes:

Then he can bring that boring ass Jimbo Fisher designed offense to Tempe or Glendale.

How about Pete Carroll and Norm Chow ?

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
yes the clause is he is to be payed one dollar more than the highest paid college coach. That is 2 mil to Bob stoops. So he will get 2 mil and a dollar!!!

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
I think with a good OC he can have a great NFL team. He is a defensive guru. His defense is taught at an NFL level. All he needed to put a good team together is a decent OC. Some of you guys might not know Saban restructured and rebuilt that entire team. He wanted all names of available players and made a team of that. Every position was up for grabs. That is how you become good. That is why I don't see Saban leaving. Not for awhile. His team is still real young and has a lot of potential.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard