15 thoughts - free agency

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is a lot of projecting going into this, as I obviously don’t know who will be available.

My hope every year is to basically have the roster set before the draft, so that they don’t need to reach for any players. It never happens, but that hasn’t stopped me before.

1 – On defense I would re-sign Tre Boston, David Amerson, Markus Golden, Rodney Gunter and Benson Mayowa.

I thought all of them played well last season, and I see Boston as a core player while I think the four others would be good rotation players.

With Robert Alford in the squad, Amerson would most likely be relegated to backup to Alford and Peterson (I don’t think Amerson can play in the slot very well), but those guys are a lot on the field anyway.

I thought Golden played well considering he was coming of an ACL.

I could see Rodney Gunter and Mayowa being part of a strong defensive line rotation.

2 – On offense I would re-sign Joe Barkesdale, Mike Glennon, and keep John Wetzel, D. J. Foster and Ricky Seals-Jones with tenders.

I think Mike Glennon seems like a good backup quarterback, so I would keep him, if for nothing else so that not everything would be new to Josh Rosen.

I would actually try to replace Barkesdale, but once again it became way too clear that you need good backup offensive linemen. I would put John Wetzel in that category as well.

I think Ricky Seals-Jones and D. J. Foster seems like good fits in Kingsbury’s presumed offensive system.

3 – I would say that offensive line, defensive line, wide receiver and inside linebacker are the weakest positions on the team, so that is where I would spend the money, and I am signing more than one free agent at each position group. I would also say that this team played so bad last year that reinforcement are welcome at almost every spot.

4 – Say they do re-sign Gunter and Mayowa, that would make a defensive line rotation of Corey Peters, Nkemdiche, Gunter and Mayowa (I think he could gain weight and play the technique), and then some guys most people have never heard of. That’s not enough, but I wouldn’t spend huge dollars on defensive linemen either.

Henry Anderson has been good with both the Colts and the Jets, and I think he could do well next to Corey Peters. If he doesn’t get at least an above average contract in free agency I would say he is underrated.

Ethan Westbrooks is kind of the forgotten man in the Rams’ defensive line rotation after they signed Suh. Now, that might change when Suh probably changes team this year, but then again, maybe it won’t. Westbrook isn’t a great player, but he seemed to always create plays or at least affect the offense when he was on the field – primarily two years ago. His best position was probably nose tackle, but he can play all positions on the line.

Jordan Phillips from the Bills were a second round pick by the Dolphins, and he played like it in a limited role in Buffalo. In Miami, on the other hand, he was a major draft bust.

5 – I actually thought Gerald Hodges and Haason Reddick played well last year, and with Josh Bynes coming back, and them potentially re-signing Bucannon, maybe inside linebacker isn’t that big of a need. Having said that, in my scenario neither Hodges or Bucannon would be re-signed, and, going buy what Vance Joseph did in Denver, I think you need at least four good inside linebackers in Joseph’s system. So, the baseline is that I think they need at least two inside linebackers.

To me, it’s remarkedly often players changes teams inside the division during free agency (I don’t have anything to back that up, so I could be way off), which brings me to linebacker K. J. Wright from the Seahawks. I think he is good in run support, and downright great in coverage. I could see him man the middle, and never have to get off field. Yes, he missed a big part of last season with injuries, but he came back to play well in the last part of the season, so it doesn’t really concern me.

6 – I think it is possible to make some coup in the linebacker market, because, for various reasons, some of them are not considered core players, yet I think they could still be very good signings. Now, if I am right, the teams obviously knows that too, so maybe these players do in fact end up getting great deals.

Jordan Hicks from the Eagles has been injured way too often in his career so far, but when he is on the field he is very, very good. In fact, it has been that way since his college career at Texas.

Kyle Emanuel has been a very good linebacker for the Chargers for three years, and it might be worth remembering that for two years Vance Joseph has played against him twice every year.

Damien Wilson has appeared in every Cowboys game since they drafted him in 2015, but he is nowhere near a core player behind longtime Cowboy Sean Lee and the two standouts Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch. Wilson is, though, a very good player who might excel in a bigger role with another team.

7 – I think there are several offensive linemen who will probably command huge contracts - probably way more than above average offensive linemen got some years ago. Cap space is mightily overrated, though, and the fact is that it’s a supply-and-demand thing. If someone are willing to hand out the required contract, then the player is worth it. That’s just how it works.

Offensive guard Rodger Saffold started every game on the Rams’ vaunted offensive line, and he played at a high level. He will surely get a very big contract. Keim has obviously not saved any money trying to upgrade the offensive line through the years, and I certainly don’t think he should start now.

Ja’Wuan James has been a very good right tackle with the Dolphins for years now, and I would be surprised if he reached the open market, though the rumor is that he will. I’m sure many teams will rank him as the best available offensive tackle if he do become available, and that will obviously reflect his contract, but again, I don’t think the Cardinals can afford to be cheap with the offensive line.

It’s the same deal with offensive tackle Daryl Williams. Now, he missed almost all of last year, and that coupled with the fact that he is coming off injury could lower his market value. On the other hand, he would be arguably the best offensive tackle on the market (it would be he or James if both were available), and that could increase his market value. Before last year he was commonly known as the best right tackle in the NFL.

8 – I think there is some good lesser known offensive linemen as well who could be of interest to the Cardinals.

Denver Broncos’ offensive guard Max Garcia is coming off an ACL he suffered after a few weeks of last season. Before he was not a great player, but he was solid. He reportedly had a great camp under Sean Kugler’s supervision.

Like Garcia, offensive guard John Miller from the Bills have not been a great player for them, but also like Garcia, Miller became a starter right from his rookie year, and he has been solid for the Bills since.

Cedric Ogbuehi has been a draftbust with the Bengals, but injuries has probably played a part in that, and I believe they never tried him at offensive guard, which was considered his best position going into the draft. Some think a chance of scenery is just what he needs.

9 – Does the Vance Joseph-Denver Broncos-connection lead to something? Edge rusher Shane Ray are scheduled to become a free agent. Obviously Joseph know him well, and Ray know Joseph well. That could be both positive and negative. You can never have enough pass rushers, so even though they might have Chandler Jones, Markus Golden, and maybe even one from the draft, they could use Ray. It’s probably worth remembering, though, that Joseph made Ray a healthy scratch in one game late in the season.

Bradley Roby could be a dark horse with Joseph’s knowledge of him, and Joseph’ background as a defensive backs coach. He has even brought two defensive backs coaches with him from Denver. The team has obviously just paid Robert Alford, but Roby has had some success as a nickel corner with the Broncos, so I wouldn’t completely count him out. Especially if they don’t re-sign Amerson.

10 – Well, we have to go there. There is something brewing between the Cardinals and Antonio Brown. That I have no doubt about, simply because there is too much smoke. I obviously can’t say if it materialize to something, and I am heavily in doubt of what I hope for. Antonio Brown is the best receiver in the NFL, and he can potentially transform an offense. Also, there’s probably no doubt that he will be one of the hardest workers on the team since many reports has stated this throughout his tenure with the Steelers. On the other hand, he is an idiot. I don’t know. If it happens, I will be happy about that. If it doesn’t happen, I will be happy about that.

P.S. I don’t care about the compensation. I think this is one of the situation where you have to be either all in or all out, so I don’t think there’s any point in saying that you would only do it for like a third rounder or so. If you think he can be the All Pro we have seen for years, why wouldn’t you want to pay for it? If you think he causes problems in the locker room, why would you even want him anyway?

11 - The wide receiver market doesn’t seem to be that impressive, but I still think there is some interesting options, and that all of them would fit Kingsbury’s presumed offensive system well. Some of them would probably be expensive, but like I said in the beginning, this is one spot were I don’t think the Cardinals can afford to be cheap.

Wide receiver Tyrell Williams from the Chargers has been underrated for years (or, maybe he has actually been in his right spot behind studs like Keenan Allen and Mike Williams). Williams is a very good downfield receiver which could, in my opinion, be a good complement to the current group.

Jamison Crowder was injured a lot last season, but when healthy, he is one of the best slot receivers in the league, and his blazing speeds makes him a great deep threat.

In simplistic terms, Adam Humphries is more or less the same type of player as Crowder, and since Humphries came into the league as an undrafted free agent four years ago, he has improved every year. Knowing Bruce Arians, I doubt they will let Humphries go, but on the other hand, because of what I just mentioned about his improvements, he might cost too much for a team that already are paying receivers Mike Evans and Desean Jackson a lot of money.

12 – Besides those more proven receivers, I think there are some intriguing options in the “take a chance on that guy”-category.

Chris Conley from the Chiefs has a great blend of speed, physicality and athleticism, and he has been a steady contributor with both Georgia in college and the Chiefs in the NFL. He just hasn’t ever quite put it all together, but his potential is huge.

Tom Clements and David Raih has ties to Randall Cobb who has been a very good receiver for the Packers for years. He hasn’t ever been their best receiver, though, and he hasn’t played a 16 game season since 2015 either.

Well, you all know John Brown. If I remember it correctly, Steve Keim only let Brown walk because of injuries, but Brown was healthy all last season, so who knows?

13 – Since they signed Charles Clay it could seem that he is the type of tight end Kingsbury prefers, which is a pass catcher first and an average to above average blocker second.

Maxx Williams (yeah, I know, somewhat weird way of spelling that name) from the Ravens could be a better version of Clay. Williams was a second round pick out of Minnesota, but he has never quite lived up to it in Baltimore. He does have all the tools, though, so maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

14 – A little personal dream of mine is to bring back Tyrann Mathieu. Yes yes, I know it won’t happen, and I know many posters will disagree with me, but I really liked Mathieu and, to me, he is one of the “culture builders” in the Cardinals organization. Someone who other players can see and think “look, Tyrann Mathieu made it with this organization, so I can do it too.” Or “look, Tyrann Mathieu was a great leader and inspirator with this organization. I want to be that too.” Someone who Michael Bidwill, the general manager at that time, the head coach at that time and everyone else in the organization can use as an example of “the Cardinals DNA”, if I can put it like that, and I think that is an important element in both organization- and team building.

Yes, I know Budda Baker now does many of the things that Mathieu did, but surely a good enough coordinator can deploy both of them in effective ways.

15 – If this was completely up to me (which it should be), I would sign Henry Anderson, Ethan Westbrook, K. J. Wright, Kyle Emanuel, Tyrann Mathieu, Chris Conley, Jamison Crowder, Maxx Williams and Bradley Roby.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Amerson and Glennon are still under contract.

I think Swearingers presence on the team now and the moving of Baker back to safety make Boston an unlikely player to be re-signed.

I too would like to see Barksdale and Gunter back for sure, the guys on the Cards podcast seem to think the new staff doesn’t see Barksdale as a fit for the offense (not sure why). Gunter is an interesting one, did he have his best season because he is a better fit in the 4-3 or did the light finally come on?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
bring back:

Gunter, then Golden. After that......

IF they bring back Boston, I think that means Bethea gets released.

It seems like the "buy at a bargain because player was dinged the last year" thing hasnt worked lately for Keim (and, he seemed to do it again with Clay).

Its not like this team is in the same spot as the Suns: soooo young that it could use an infusion of veteran leadership

so: i would rather the Cards spend big(ger) on 2 really good players expected to be in their prime for all/most of the contract rather than 4 -5 "bargains" who are older / been injured

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post. Kiem will get roasted here if he signs an o- lineman that is coming off an injury riddled season especially if he is the first guy he signs. We will sign just about everyone that fits our systems. I also think we will sign Buchanon and not Golden mainly because I think we draft Bosa and Buchanon did have some success as the moneybacker. The two areas we need to nail down in free agency is wr and o-line. A lot of depth players will be signed in the second wave of free agency and final cuts. But we can’t wait on the two positions mentioned. Tyrell Williams will be a little cheaper than Brown and won’t cost us any picks. But either way let’s get one of these guys. I think we need to sign a bonifide guard and tackle. I believe taylor will be a Cardinal. The dolphins are a bit strapped and appear to be ready to rebuild starting now. At guard pick your poison. Saffold would be great but I don’t see the Rams letting him go. One name not mentioned is Ramon Foster. He is one big , bad dude but he is a little older. We can overspend at these two positions to jump start this offense. The rest of the needs are going to come down to who on this current roster fits.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Really curious to see what offers will be for Golden. Very deep free agent edge rusher class. He would be a great backup/ rotational guy for depth if he doesn’t get starter money.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really curious to see what offers will be for Golden. Very deep free agent edge rusher class. He would be a great backup/ rotational guy for depth if he doesn’t get starter money.

Someone like Cleveland or Indy will over pay because they have too much money to spend.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Someone like Cleveland or Indy will over pay because they have too much money to spend.

They can also afford much better than him too! Flowers, P Smith, Clowney, Dee Ford, Ansah, Brandon Graham are all better options if they don’t get tagged.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great post. Kiem will get roasted here if he signs an o- lineman that is coming off an injury riddled season especially if he is the first guy he signs.

Thank you, and great thoughts in your post!

Yes, but that really doesn’t matter, and I guess posters disagree on the subject because I wouldn’t necessarily mind it.

Tyrell Williams will be a little cheaper than Brown and won’t cost us any picks.

That’s right, but don’t you agree that Brown is also a better player? At least I think he has been for years, but that obviously comes with the caveat that Williams has probably not been utilized to his fullest.

One name not mentioned is Ramon Foster. He is one big , bad dude but he is a little older. We can overspend at these two positions to jump start this offense. The rest of the needs are going to come down to who on this current roster fits.

Good call on Foster. I did consider him, but in the end I did not add him because he is 33 and just played his 10th season. How much does he have left in the tank?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Amerson and Glennon are still under contract.

You are right. My bad.

I too would like to see Barksdale and Gunter back for sure, the guys on the Cards podcast seem to think the new staff doesn’t see Barksdale as a fit for the offense (not sure why). Gunter is an interesting one, did he have his best season because he is a better fit in the 4-3 or did the light finally come on?

Don’t get caught up in what they call their base defense. It doesn’t really matter since you are in nickel defense by far most of the time.

The reason is that in a nickel defense you want to have as many defensive backs on the field at the same time to counter the passing game, because we all know that it has become a passing league. Think of it this way: every time there is pass play you want your nickel defense on the field.

The important things for defensive linemen are the gap responsibilities, and I am not sure what Gunter is best at. In Joseph’s scheme I believe they use a one gap-system, which they did last year as well, and that means Gunter will play aggressively. To do that, I think Gunter is at least a serviceable rotation player.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, I guess many of the players I mentioned wasn’t so underrated after all. This list (click here) from NFL.com of free agents has 10 of the players in the top 50 and 15 in the top 100.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up with a lot of thought.

I always enjoy your breakdowns.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Don’t get caught up in what they call their base defense. It doesn’t really matter since you are in nickel defense by far most of the time.

The reason is that in a nickel defense you want to have as many defensive backs on the field at the same time to counter the passing game, because we all know that it has become a passing league. Think of it this way: every time there is pass play you want your nickel defense on the field.

The important things for defensive linemen are the gap responsibilities, and I am not sure what Gunter is best at. In Joseph’s scheme I believe they use a one gap-system, which they did last year as well, and that means Gunter will play aggressively. To do that, I think Gunter is at least a serviceable rotation player.

Well, with Gunter if you overlook 3-4 vs 4-3 you have to look at the scheme then, he had his best year under a scheme that is different than any we had previously run or will run this season. I like Gunter but have to question if last year was an anomaly or is it his new norm...since I think he is young and at least serviceable NFL starter I'd like to think he can play but question if the teams $$ will match what he will get elsewhere.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, with Gunter if you overlook 3-4 vs 4-3 you have to look at the scheme then, he had his best year under a scheme that is different than any we had previously run or will run this season. I like Gunter but have to question if last year was an anomaly or is it his new norm...since I think he is young and at least serviceable NFL starter I'd like to think he can play but question if the teams $$ will match what he will get elsewhere.

I’m not so sure about that. In Al Holcomb’s defense the defensive line played primarily single gap assignments and techniques, just as the defensive line did in Bettcher’s defense. Obviously there will be some wrinkles, but I actually don’t think there will be a significant change in what the defensive line need to do under Vance Joseph.

Like you, I also think Gunter has developed into a good player.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sign CJ Mosley for market price. Cardinals have a premier player on the line (Chandler Jones) and in the back-end (P2). They absolutely need a premier ILB at any cost. Pay CJ Mosley over Marcus Golden and draft Nick Bosa. Make Cardinals defense great again (MCDGA)!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sign CJ Mosley for market price. Cardinals have a premier player on the line (Chandler Jones) and in the back-end (P2). They absolutely need a premier ILB at any cost. Pay CJ Mosley over Marcus Golden and draft Nick Bosa. Make Cardinals defense great again (MCDGA)!

The Ravens letting him go would be a major red flag.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

There is always some risk when players change teams. I wondered why Chandler Jones was being traded. It ended up being a good trade. Cardinals NEED a good player like CJ Mosley desperately. Their LB issues have been worse since Deone was figured out by opposing teams.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I tend to agree. Mosley is a great, young linebacker who has become the captain of that defense. Besides, since the salary cap is not an issue for any team, why wouldn’t they give a playmaker like him a big contract? They could also use their franchise tag on him, though they do have a couple of other candidates for that.

On the other hand, Mosley is neither a great coverage linebacker or pass rusher, so he doesn’t really affect that passing game as much as other, which is usually what teams pay for (don’t get me wrong. He’s not bad in those aspects. He’s just not “huge contract-worthy”.)

At this point I would be surprised if the Ravens re-signed Mosley before the start of free agency, simply because that would be a weird negotiation move by Mosley, so if they don’t simply apply their franchise tag to him, maybe the Cardinals will get a chance to give him a huge offer. However, they certainly won’t get to meet with him, work him out and such before giving him the offer, so if they do, they better have a really good idea why the Ravens didn’t lock him up months ago.

By the way, a lot of hush-hush things will happen at the Scouting Combine this week, so it’s not at all unrealistic that the Cardinals will learn more about Mosley. Just as it could well be that Mosley’s agent gets a really good idea of what teams are willing to offer for his client, which could mean that they do in fact get a deal done with the Ravens before free agency begins.

I didn’t include him on my wishlist because I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that the Ravens let him go, but if he do in fact hit the open market, I do think there could be reasonable reasons for that, and thus that it wouldn’t necessarily be a disaster if the Cards offered him a deal.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good post, and good thoughts. Not to much to say against it, tbh.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

This is a good point. Using that reasoning, then let Gunter walk and count on Olsen Pierre to return to the player he was in the 3-4. I have been thinking about that.

Gunter definitely played better in a 4-3, and to be fair Pierre was pretty damn good in a 3-4.

I still like Gunter for his ability to play DE, NT, and DT when in nickel.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Great post. Kiem will get roasted here if he signs an o- lineman that is coming off an injury riddled season especially if he is the first guy he signs.

Yup. I have my kindling ready. LOL.

I REALLY hope we do not re-sign Bucannon, can that trend just be over.......please!

To stay with linebackers, PLEASE do not re-sign Gerald Hodges, I understand that the team "needs" to keep Reddick on the roster, but .....a linebacker, draft one, sign one, PLEASE!

Bynes is good but he is only available for 10 games a year tops.

I cannot believe this team went from Dansby and Washington to this.

Sign Denzel Perryman, or Ramik Wilson. They may not be tops in the league but they could play better than what we have.

Then draft Tre Lamar, or Germaine Pratt, or Tre'Von Conley, or Terrill Hanks, or Joe Giles-Harris, or DeShaun Davis, or Cameron Smith, or Bobby Orekere, or Joe Dineen, JR, or Ryan Connelly, or T.J Waston.........just draft a flippin ILB! Cardinals.

Ok...I am done, thank you.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
the guys on the Cards podcast seem to think the new staff doesn’t see Barksdale as a fit for the offense (not sure why).

I would like to know myself. I am admittedly a Barksdale fan, but I am more curious on what type of offensive lineman the offense is looking for. If Barksdale does not fit the bill so be it.

I get the offensive skill pieces but I am at a loss on what this offense needs out of their offensive linemen.

One would question if Barksdale doesn't fit, then does Pugh, or Humphries ? Even Cole ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson