2019 NFL draft - 15 thoughts

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That’s a fair point. I guess I would say that, if you are correct (and you very well could be), then I just don’t see it as a very good selling point, or maybe I just missed the point entirely. Say that Zach Allen was their #35 ranked player, then they surely must have known that many more than 34 players would be drafted ahead of him. I mean, let’s just say they, for some reason, had taken Daniel Jones, Josh Jacobs and Greedy Williams off their board. Then they must still have had a pretty good idea that those guys would get drafted within the first two rounds, and if so, then it might come down to that they got their #35 ranked player in about the area they expected, give or take 5-10 picks or so. I guess I just don’t see that as an impressive achievement, and I thought that was what Keim tried to sell it is being. I could be wrong, though.

I’m not sure I managed to make it make more sense, but I hope so.
It is a spin move. You are correct.

This is where scheme and fit and roster have more to do with draft boards than most fans acknowledge. I am sure the Cardinals only had 1 QB ranked. That shrinks your board. They may not have had Clelin Ferrell ranked due to scheme. They may have really liked Cole at C and not ranked any that did not offer G/G or G/T versatility. If you get bored, look up the Colt's draft process string on twitter. It is interesting in how they prioritize narrowing their focus.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about lipstick on a pig. Trade a #1(10 overall), 3 & 5 for a late 2 & a 5 next year?
You can either say they traded the #15, 3, & 5 for a 2 and a future 5... or the #10 for a 2 and a future 5. You can't have it both ways.

Either way, using one of the popular draft value charts, they netted an overall loss equivalent to about the #17-#18 pick. So they gave up the equivalent of DT Dexter Lawrence or C Garrett Bradbury. Sucks, but as soon as they decided that Rosen wasn't the guy they needed to lead the offense going forward, and Murray was, they had to eat the sunk cost from last year.

...dbs

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#13 - Every team has their top 200 (actual # varies per team) and no two are the same. Every team removes players from their board for various reasons.
Yeah, i thought the Cardinals "big board" featured 120 players? Obviously it's a given that other teams will draft a lot of players not on your board, and you'll get players in each round who are ranked higher than the position at which you take them - on YOUR board.

The unusual thing, this year, is that they got many players ranked much higher on OVERALL draft boards such as PFF's.

...dave

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can either say they traded the #15, 3, & 5 for a 2 and a future 5... or the #10 for a 2 and a future 5. You can't have it both ways.

Either way, using one of the popular draft value charts, they netted an overall loss equivalent to about the #17-#18 pick. So they gave up the equivalent of DT Dexter Lawrence or C Garrett Bradbury. Sucks, but as soon as they decided that Rosen wasn't the guy they needed to lead the offense going forward, and Murray was, they had to eat the sunk cost from last year.

...dbs

Fair. Stand corrected.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim waited too long. He says he "never shopped Rosen" and the rumor is he only started calling teams about a Rosen trade "minutes" before they drafted Murray. This would have leaked if he was shopping Rosen...you know it.
It was an open secret long before the draft. We all knew it and every team knew it. The best way to lose leverage is to look desperate by calling teams up hoping to get them to take Rosen.

The only way that situation works in your favor (game of chicken) is NYG or Washington don't get one of the top 2 QB's in round 1 and they jump on Rosen at 15 or 17. Nobody knew the Giants would reach for Jones at #6 and that screwed everything up for Keim's last minute strategy. If the Giants take Haskins or another team took a QB (Oakland, Denver, Cincy, etc)...that would have paid off for Keim.

Right - and if you're NYG or Washington, why would you deal your pick for Rosen before the draft, when you could wait to see how the draft falls, and see if the guy you really want is there when your pick comes up? If not, THEN you can pull the trigger on a deal for Rosen. NYG and Washington each preferred someone else. Even the Broncos picked Lock rather than trading for Rosen, when they had ample time to make a trade if they were so inclined.

Think about it this way...everyone knew we couldn't go into this season with Rosen and Murray on the roster. Everyone also knew that only the Dolphins remained interested.

Exactly, and everyone would've known that the moment the Cardinals contacted them to shop Rosen.

...dbs

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda surprising they got that given that they were down to one bidder
If rumors were true, the Chargers and Patriots also had some interest in Rosen as a guy who could to sit behind, learn from, and possibly take over for their aging starters some day. Otherwise, you're right, the Dolphins could've kept waiting. They ended up trading down to the pick right between the Chargers and Patriots, then throwing in the 5th, so it seems possible that Keim convinced them that they needed to outbid the others.

...dave

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
But if he didn’t spend that pick last year, we wouldn’t have had the 1st overall this year...
Disagree, Tom Brady would've only guided this team to the worst record last year...it was that bad...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
4 – I was really happy when they traded Rosen – both for the good of the team and for the good of Rosen. However, I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when the pick turned out to be Isabella. I mean, he might be a good fit, but in the 2nd round? You got to be kidding me! The pick instantly reminded me of the Chase Edmonds-pick last year since I also kind of expected that they had interest in him, but as soon as the 4th round? Give me a break! Having said that, K2 seemed thrilled with the pick in the video from the war room. I tend to take those videos with a grain of salt, just because of the risk that the people in them are fully aware they are being taped and thus can act accordingly to what is in their own best interest. Anyway, with that caveat, he sure seemed happy.

Outside of the Murray pick, this one really got me steamed!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is a spin move. You are correct.

This is where scheme and fit and roster have more to do with draft boards than most fans acknowledge. I am sure the Cardinals only had 1 QB ranked. That shrinks your board. They may not have had Clelin Ferrell ranked due to scheme. They may have really liked Cole at C and not ranked any that did not offer G/G or G/T versatility. If you get bored, look up the Colt's draft process string on twitter. It is interesting in how they prioritize narrowing their focus.

Yes, I know that. The video I posted is about how teams set their boards based on their own squad, systems and so on.

My point was that one of two things happened: either their rankings were very weird to me, in which case I think it is fair to judge the draft class by that. Or they expected to have a good chance of drafting those players at the spots where they were in fact drafted, and if so, I don’t see the point in bringing it up.

You are most likely right, though, that it was just an attempt of spin – and no matter the reason, I still think my point is valid that Keim patronized us a bit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose